"Four plus One Syndrome" in XDM 9mm?

Discussion in 'XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)' started by caj123, Feb 22, 2009.

1. caj123

caj123 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    All,

I have an XDM 9mm with over 1000 rounds through it. Unfortunately it seems to consistently put the first round low and left (off about 3-4 inches even at 10 feet). This is very disappointing since the other rounds are in a tight 1-2 inch group.

Since I am a new pistol shooter, I always want to blame myself. However, I've had other XD and 1911 owners shoot it from a fixed position with the same results.

After a bunch of research I found that it might be a "4+1 syndrome" as exposed by Massad Ayoob in "The Complete Book of Handguns 2009". In this article he states that at least some XDMs (.40 caliber) seem to have this issue which occurs when the first hand-chambered cartridge sends its bullet to a slightly different point then the other automatically chambered rounds. I have the same issue with both magazines and various brands of low cost range ammo.

Have any other XDM owners experienced and/or solved this problem?

Any other suggestions/thoughts are welcome.

Thanks in advance!

2. stainone

stainone XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    don't know 1st i have heard of it?

3. sourpatch45

sourpatch45 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    ^^me too

how do you chamber the first round?

it doesnt matter if the gun is shot or you manually pull the slide back and sling shot it, it both situations the slide comes to a stop at full rear and then is pulled forward by the spring pressure. now if you "ride" the slide forward then you are changing the speed at which it goes forward

4. caj123

caj123 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

I typically leave the slide locked, and use the slide release lever to chamber the first round out of the magazine. Nothing special.

I've also tried manually chambering the first round and using slide release lever to release the slide.

Both result in the same issue.

5. dglock

dglock XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0

You stand a very good chance of breaking your extractor if you manualy load a round into the chamber and then drop the slide.

don

6. gM4dd

gM4dd XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    From a tactical standpoint, i was told to grip the slide and let it rip. Very fine movements like using the slide release lever can be a bad habit for a tactical situation, so i bring my left hand up and over the slide and slingshot it as I am a right handed shooter. Maybe you can try chambering the 1st round this way, but I dunno, seems like the round should sit properly unless you ride the slide. I have had first shot accuracy in my XDm9, but have not shot the 40 yet.

7. caj123

caj123 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    gM4dd,

So you always slingshot the slide when reloading? For example, if you empty a mag, and the slide remains locked, you DO NOT use the slide release lever to load the first round of a new magazine (and you use a slingshot instead)? Just wondering what the recommended approach is.

Thanks again!

8. bullit

bullit XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    you can use the release but it is best to use the sling shot method. that builds muscle memory and if you were to have a problem you are then used to using the sling shot method

9. DanD23

DanD23 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    FWIW, I had noticed the same thing in my 9mm. One of the guys at the range asked if I was hand loading or doing an speed loader for loading my magazine? What he showed me was that sometimes, I was not seating the round all the way back in the magazine on the last round in (first round fired). I started making sure I pushed it all the way back in the magazine, and I have noticed a marked decrease in the problem. Don't know if that is really the issue, or more a psychological crutch that got me over some trigger control issue. But hey, it worked for me. :cool:

10. caj123

caj123 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    DanD23,

That is very interesting. Next time I am at the range I will make sure all bullets are completely seated against the back of the magazine. Not sure that is the problem, but it is certainly something to look at. BTW, do you load the first round out of the magazine by "slingshotting" the slide?

Thanks again!

11. jbkazam

jbkazam XDTalk 500 Member

The still somewhat free portion of Illinois.
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    There is such a thing as the first shot flier, but I doubt that is what you are seeing. If the first shot is of by 3 or 4 inches at only 10 feet, that translates to 9 to 12 inches of at 10 yards. That is a mile off. I don't think that any method of loading the first round is going to cause that kind of a problem.

Here are a couple of ways to trouble shoot the problem.

1. Have someone you know to be a very good shooter try your gun and see what happens. If they shoot ok, it is something you are doing.

2. Try loading 6 rounds in the magazine, then shoot the first round into the back stop. Then take your finger out of the trigger guard, lower the gun, then raise the gun and shoot your target the way you usually do.

If you usually only allow the trigger to re-set, then shoot the next shot, the trigger pull may seem different between the first shot and the subsequent shots.

Give it a try, and see what happens.

12. mdx

mdx XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    De copper your barrel with Barnes CR10 , according to the Bottle instructions. Mop that out good, and oil your barrel and chamber --I prefer FP10 as it goes into the steel. Before you shoot mop out the barrel,chamber, and breachface with lighter fluid and shoot it dry. Bag your first shots to end human error. If that dont work ask for a new barrel.

13. jbkazam

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    While I agree that a dirty gun or a bad barrel can cause accuracy problems, I don't think that's what's happening.

If there is a tight group of 4 shots, and one shot that is off by 3 to 4 inches at 10 feet, that translates to an error of 22.5 to 30 inches at 25 yards.

I really don't think that a dirty gun, or a problem barrel is going to do that.

14. mdx

mdx XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A shot that is off on a "cold" first shot can have alot to do with barrel prep. heat of steel , oil in barrel, heat treat and quality of the steel. Being a few inches off on a cold shot at 10 feet can also be replicated a few inches off at 25 yards. I believe he is talking about a cold shot.

15. jbkazam

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    If a shot is off by 4 inches at 10 feet, it is off by 30 inches at 25 yards, no matter how you look at it.

It just about has to be operator error.