Springfield XD Forum banner

FN 509 Striker...

11K views 38 replies 18 participants last post by  Xrmedoc 
#1 ·
On the one hand, the last thing we seem to need is another striker. On the other hand, the FNS this was based on is a thoroughly mediocre gun IMO with a heavy sponge for a trigger. Maybe FN is upping their game, goodness knows they have the resources.

I'm much more interested in seeing the new CZ and Beretta strikers.

The FN 509™ is built on the proven architecture of the FNS™ Compact, FN made changes internally and externally to meet the rigorous performance standards of the MHS requirements and further developed the platform into the FN 509 with the help from industry experts. Over the course of development, the platform has been tested extensively for reliability, ammunition compatibility and durability – totaling more than one million rounds.

Specs

• Caliber: 9mm
  • Operation: Double-action
  • Mag Capacity: 10 or 17 Rd.
  • Weight: 26.9 oz.
  • Barrel Length: 4.0"
  • Overall Length: 7.4"
  • Twist Rate: 1:10" RH
  • Length: 7.4"
  • Height: 5.56"
  • Width: 1.35"
  • Trigger Pull: 5.5 - 7.5 lb.
  • Sight Radius: 5.79"
GENERAL SPECIFICATIONS

Striker-fired autoloader

Double-action operation

Offered as a non-manual safety model

Fixed 3-dot luminescent sights (standard)

Fixed 3-dot night sight available (LE ONLY)

SLIDE

Easily racked, combat-style sights

External extractor; loaded chamber indicator

Improved front and rear cocking serrations

BARREL

Cold hammer-forged stainless steel

Recessed target crown

Polished chamber and feed ramp

FRAME

Enhanced grip texture which enables faster follow-up shots in all conditions

Interchangeable backstraps

MIL-STD-1913 accessory mounting rail

OPERATING CONTROLS

Fully ambidextrous slide stop lever and magazine release

MAGAZINE

High visibility, low-friction follower; polymer base with black finish

SHIPS WITH

Two interchangeable backstraps

Two 17-round magazines or Two 10-round

Owner’s manual

Locking device

FN logo soft pistol case

See less See more
Reactions: CDKJudoka
#10 ·
Following that logic HiPoint's are "shooters".

But you're right, it does have a Remington look to it, and that's not a compliment.

There really is a whole new generation of striker fired polymers that are raising the bar, S&W figured it out and that's why there's a version 2.0, now FN is trying the same with the FNS.

#12 ·
I have an FNS and absolutely love it. I would rather shoot it than my XDm any day of the week. It is by far my favorite striker fired pistol. However, all that FN is saying is there are "a lot of tweeks". Well... I am not interested in the same that I already have with a few "tweeks". Sorry.

Like I said, I love my FNS (and my FNX45 tactical), but I don't see this one in my future.

#13 ·
I have an FNS and absolutely love it. I would rather shoot it than my XDm any day of the week. It is by far my favorite striker fired pistol. However, all that FN is saying is there are "a lot of tweeks". Well... I am not interested in the same that I already have with a few "tweeks". Sorry.

Like I said, I love my FNS (and my FNX45 tactical), but I don't see this one in my future.
FNX, yeah I agree with you there. I've always liked their hammer fired guns.

#15 ·
I still want an FNX 45.

I'd like to see CZ offer a Giant P-09 in .45 too. I'm still happy with my Glocks in the striker fired department. Unless a screaming deal lands in my lap, I don't see me buying anything but more ugly blocks.
Yeah, the argument FOR Glocks gets harder and harder as the polymer strikers improve. Back when the argument was Glock vs XD's and MP's that was one thing, now Glock is up against a lot of good strikers.

#17 ·
I will disagree about not doing anything better...the triggers in several offerings (VP9, P320, M&P2.0, PPQ, supposedly the new CZ10) surpass the Glock, and the VP9's adjustable ergos are probably the best on the market by far.

However, you have nailed it as far as aftermarket; Glock is the small block Chevy of the pistol world.

#19 ·
It's all subjective. They shoot reliably and accurate.

VP9 can have all the adjustments in the world but to hell with paddle releases. They're literally worse than the black plague. Damn fruitbooty Europeans...
Actually, they make a hell of a lot more sense than button releases.

No shifting your grip to hit the button, utterly ambidextrous.

Make a compact, doublestack 9mm 1911 with a paddle release, and you've just made my perfect handgun.

#23 ·
It's all subjective. They shoot reliably and accurate.

VP9 can have all the adjustments in the world but to hell with paddle releases. They're literally worse than the black plague. Damn fruitbooty Europeans...
Blasphemy!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

#26 ·
Does this mean FN is discontinuing the FNS? Because that would suck for me as I have been looking at getting a bi-tone FNS-9. :(

#27 ·
This gun is getting a lot of really good reviews . I don't have the cash to collect guns but this would be one i would look at. The negative for me is that it wasn't made with a shorter grip holding 15 rounds. To me that would make more sense with the slide length and barrel length.

#29 ·
MAC ran a 509 through his gauntlet, an emtertainment display of course. However, it would hydro lock with just water, something I have seen in other FN series.

#39 ·
I am not a formal expert on FN by any means. I know that some pistols have Fredricksburg VA on them this is what I got from Guns and Ammo

In 2014, FN consolidated its U.S. operations into one single entity known as FN America, LLC. With headquarters in McLean, Va., and manufacturing operations in Columbia, S.C., the company is the U.S. subsidiary of FN Herstal, S.A., a manufacturer of firearms for military, law enforcement and commercial customers worldwide.

Read more: The Untold FN Story - Guns & Ammo

#38 ·
I have the FNS9C. It's okay, but not one of my favorites. Ergonomics are fine, trigger's not to my liking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.