Flys. I have them. How do I get rid of them?

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by PoWdA, Aug 14, 2013.

1. PoWdA

PoWdA XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    I can't take it anymore. My house has become overrun by flys.

I have been going at it with a flyswatter daily and killing a ton of them, I have flypaper dangling from the ceiling all over the place, and have been cleaning like crazy to try and eliminate any potential food source. This is war, and they are winning.

It is a war of attrition. I have had to vacuum every day or two because the ground is littered with their corpses. I will swat what seems to be about 20 of them a night but the next day it seems as if there are more than the previous. As I lay here in bed going on my phone one landed on my screen, and is now dead.

So, any tips? I am a clean person and enjoy my clean house. I cannot think of what else to do but at the moment I am being over run. I am posting this because I just had to get out of bed and swat a bunch of flys as they wouldn't stop messing with me. Do they make a fly load in 9mm?

Help.

Posted from my Galaxy Note 2.

2. PoWdA

PoWdA XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    Also, I have formed a crude alliance with the spiders. I saw one in the bathroom today, nodded, and let him go on his way. I also noticed a web on one of the higher windowsills with a fly trapped in it. I will not be dusting there anytime soon. I see this as an alliance that works well for both sides (for the time being at least).

I am setting a trap tonight to see if it works: dish soap and water in a bowl.

Time will tell.

3. XD9inAVL

XD9inAVL XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 1
  4. sdprof

sdprof XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +468 / 1
  5. Rob2

Rob2 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 2
    Find out what KIND of flies then look for an approach thats especially lethal to that kind.

6. PoWdA

PoWdA XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    Amazing. I am buying one tomorrow.

While I am at it, anyone know where I can buy a flamethrower?

7. PoWdA

PoWdA XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    They are normal house flies. Have a green body.

8. Jarwulf

Jarwulf XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Get rid of the trash...People tend to think of flies as just uniformly distributed and buzzing around everywhere but in reality they are tied to the garbage they breed out of.

9. sasqwatch2

sasqwatch2 XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +222 / 13
    Wal-mart, Home supply stores, Hardware stores and the like.

The pump-up insecticide/herbicide sprayers work pretty well.

10. Odomxd

Odomxd XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +465 / 2
    Exorcism.....

11. CID

CID XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +65 / 0
    RAID!?!?!

Whether I'm in the tent or camper, 10 minutes I before retire, I give a quick squirt (more for the camper, and I stay outside). I keep the can next to my pillow in case one of the fvkers misses the first shot.

There's also a can right here in the shop for 'em, photo enclosed. :cool:

Yep, it's poison and makes me cough a bit (short squirts if I'm in the room), but it's worth it: I hunt 'em like big game, MF'ers. I get great pleasure hearing their dying buzzing as they stumble around the room, bouncing off the window glass. :mrgreen: (single, so I do what I want)

Ok, so why don't we have any 'shoot 'em up' smilies? :confused:

[​IMG]

12. WildRose

WildRose XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    They are there because somewhere in or around the house is a good supply of rotting food, probably meat.

Till you get rid of that food source you cannot get rid of the flies.

You can find "fly predators", little wasps that kill them online. These wasps target only insects and will not bother people.

They are the best "natural control" other than removing the food source.

13. cz75luver

cz75luver XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    Bingo.

14. Wild Rice

Wild Rice XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Check your crawl space/attic/chimney for a dead critter.

15. PoWdA

PoWdA XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    Day 2:

I woke up today with two or three flies buzzing around my room. I took the fly swatter from the night stand and was able to get one of them. The others will have to be killed another day.

I went into the living room and then the kitchen. When I turned on the kitchen light I noticed no less than 15 flies on the light. I was able to get 3 with one swat. The rest scrambled and landed in various places on and near the light. I decided to tape fresh flypaper to the light and will be leaving it on all day to see if they will land on this flypaper as they are attracted to that light.

I also swatted about 10 flies that were clinging to the walls around the house. I hit a few that didn't die but were obviously crippled, crawling around on the ground unable to fly. These will surely die slowly and painfully. I made the decision not to finish them off in the hopes that their friends will see what their fate will be.

The spider web has grown substantially overnight and had no less than four flies in it. Good man spider, good man. I may let you live even after the flies have gone. I appreciate your assistance in this fight we wage against a common foe - comrade.

I did want to mention that when I hung up one strip of fly tape by the big light in the kitchen that I went to hang a second strip on the other side of the light (it is a long rectangle ceiling light) and looked back and the first strip had already caught two flies. I hope to have a bounty when I return from work tonight.

Also, I was planning on purchasing an "ASaltGun" which is like a shotgun that shoots salt and is designed to kill flies. I learned today that they are about $40. Seems a little much for a device that has very mixed reviews. For now I am holding off but if the trend of more flies continues I may be forced to make the purchase.

So I cleaned under the fridge, the washing machine, and the oven trying to find he source of the flies and have found nothing. The trash was taken out (prematurely I may add) and I looked through the cabinets and under the sink again to look for any sign of their source and am finding nothing. The are obviously concentrated in the kitchen but a few seem to like my room best.

I also setup a trap I read about that uses dish soap and water in a bowl. I set it out last night and this did not catch a single fly.

That is all for now. I hope to have good findings when I return home to my traps!