Flying With Your Handgun: Regular Lock Or TSA Lock?

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by Ivan A. Makarova, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Ivan A. Makarova

Ivan A. Makarova XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For those of you who have flown w/your HG in checked luggage, is any lock ok, or do you think the TSA locks are better? Or would you mix-- maybe a TSA lock on the luggage, a regular lock on the HG?

2. mr0w1

mr0w1 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here's what I do. I have a hard case that my Kimber came in; it's smaller and easier to work w/ than the SA XD box. I put my XD in the box, and have a good padlock in my pocket. I go to checkin counter, tell them I need a firarms tag, get it, sign it, put it in the suitcase, then they send me to the TSA screening station. Sometimes my other baggage goes w/, sometimes not. Anyway, they walk up to take my baggage, and I says "This one's got a firearm in it." (BTW, don't say gun. It's a scarier word. :) )

Then they check it, make sure it's unloaded, blah blah. When they're happy, they close the Kimber box, I slap the big pad lock on the handle, they stick it back in my baggage, I put a small lock on the outside of the baggage, and they stick a "TSA Screened" sticker on it to let everyone else know it's cool and not to cut my lock off. Then I go off on my merry way.

That's been SOP for me since 9/11.

3. Rated R1

Rated R1 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just wanted to add that I have used the TSA locks and they have still been cut. You talk about being pissed off!!!

4. Majk

Majk XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Amen brother, but if they do cut it off, you can get it replaced for free if you go to their website and fill out the form and send it into them.

But it still does piss you off. The wife and I flew to Houston last year and I used the TSA locks to make it faster and safer but they still cut it off. The first agent at the airport here in NE didn't have any clue what the hell the lock was.

5. Meta4

Meta4 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Out of curiosity, what happens if you use a lock made out of indestructium? You know, like those super-hardened-titanium locks?

-James

6. mr0w1

mr0w1 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    They cut your bag or case instead :).

7. oldmantod

oldmantod XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    According to Continental and their web-site (plus I fly it all the time) the lock that you put on your outer bag should not present access to anybody except for yourself.

As far as flying with it all the time, nothing pisses me off more than some fruitcake/dame that doesn't have a clue as to what they are doing and insist that you break the law during what they believe to be the process.

<5 times I have had to have the "are you telling me this is what you want me to do"? approach and after the 5th or 6th time they say "why do you keep asking this" and in turn I reply that according to TSA guidelines and Continental's company policy, they are asking me to break the rules, I fly multiple times a week and have great risk if I do not follow the policy to a T, so tell me, who is right, yourself who has never done this, or myself who could goto jail if I handle a bag when I should not.

That usually shuts them up.

There was one time when a TSA person and I just about came to blows because he kept taking my case and my gun behind the counter to do something that he referred to as "checking" it, I was extremely uncomfortable with him handling, as this is not SOP other than to ensure that it is not loaded.

Good Luck

- T

8. Rated R1

Rated R1 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the info. I did not know that.

9. 021411

021411 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I recently flew out of Houston to London and had a TSA lock on my luggage. When I arrived at Gatwick I had a TSA sticker on my bag. I guess they actually used their key and not a bolt cutter. 8)

10. Majk

Majk XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    The only thing they require is the receipt from where you bought it.

I just figured it was more hassle than it was worth. But it sure did piss me off at the time.