First XD40 range day

Discussion in 'SA-XD/XD(M) Range Reports' started by speedjunkie44, Jan 24, 2012.

1. speedjunkie44

speedjunkie44 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey all,
    been poking around on the site for a month or so now doing research for a new pistol and decided on the xd40 4". Been a long time shooter but this is my first larger caliber pistol. First pistol was a sig .22. Most of my shooting has been with riffles. Anywho, I decided on the XD40 for all around play and soon to be carry gun. And so far i am very pleased with it. Put about 150 rounds through it with the Blazer aluminum case ammo. Only had one feed issue and I think it was because of the round. Tried it a few more times and that one round just wouldnt feed. But it ran smooth and fun to shoot. Took a little getting used to the trigger but it shouldnt be a problem. Here are a couple pics of the targets. shot mostly between 15-20 yards.

Attached Files:

2. XDfantastic

XDfantastic XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I use my XD40 Tactical (5" barrel) as my HD gun with a green laser that fits the gun just perfect! I love shooting it and it's dead on accurate at 50 yards, that's about my max without getting sloppy. Great choice and I think the misfeed was a fluke and maybe just needs a few more rounds through it if it's new. I've pumped about 1k rounds of various types and I'm proud to say not one mis-fire! It's just a great piece, IMO!! :D

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  3. john_bud

john_bud XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 1
    Welcome.

Your shot patterns show good trigger control, but might be a bit too quick with it. The spread down would probably tighten up if you moved the finger a wee bit slower. Other that that -- awesome job!

4. XDSPACECADET

XDSPACECADET XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Congrats on the new xd 40. Nice shooting

5. speedjunkie44

speedjunkie44 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks guys. And I think you might be exactly right John. I take it you have shot once or twice lol. Gonna try to take it out a couple more times before my training and qualification with it this weekend :)

6. john_bud

john_bud XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 1

Yeah.... maybe twice... for sure once! ;)

A second thing that may help is to hold the trigger back after firing and only after you are back on target allow your finger to relax slightly until you feel the "Click!" of the reset. Then it's just a whisker away from firing again. Less trigger motion = less opportunity to pull it down. You can get the feel for it by dry firing. Rack and move the trigger to fire --- hold it --- slowly relax your finger until you feel / hear the click of the reset.

You should have no problem at al qual'ing with the group you showed. I would make sure to bring quality ammo and clean the gun and especially the striker channel BEFORE going! Even just a hose out with gun scrubber or brake cleaner in the square hole and firing pin hole would probably do it. But I'm old school (and old:oops:) and think that taking the striker out and using a q-tip is still the best.

shoot straight!

7. Kalderis10

Kalderis10 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good job! I just shot mine for the first time last night. I really like the XD. Shoots really smooth and comfortable. I didn't want to leave the range...lol