Springfield XD Forum banner

First timer needing some info please! Hornady LNL parts list for 45 acp.

4K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  kjackson_82 
#1 ·
I have been reading on here for quite a while now along with other forums as well. I am going to start reloading and have ordered a few books today. I have read reviews and have settled on the Hornady LNL press (so lets not change this thread into a "why not a dillon or rcbs?") and am trying to get a total price for EVERYTHING TOOL WISE (not powder, brass, caps) I will need to order to get started for 45acp . I will get the prices together but if you want to list the prices and total, I will be more than thankful.

Thanks in advance and I know there are other threads but they seem to be pretty old so I would like to get updated info in case of technological advances in equipment or simplified multiple task equipment.

#3 ·
As the last sentence in the first paragraph states "I will get the prices together but if you want to list the prices and total, I will be more than thankful." So please read before you post as I am looking for helpful people not a smart a$$ that thinks I am lazy! I am looking for a parts list since it is confusing with all I have read such as plates, bushings, good die set, etc. And before anyone suggests, yes I do have books on order but am really excited and trying to get an idea of all equipment costs related to the Hornady LNL press for 45acp.

#4 ·
So here is what my "WISH" list is comprised of so far:

Hornady LNL press : $395 @ Midway
Hornady 45 acp 3 die set w/taper : $43 @ Midway
Thumlers Tumbler Model B HS 110v : $180 @ Midway

I know I will need but not sure of:

Case Prep Tools? Any Suggestion?

What else will I need for 45 acp?:confused:

#5 ·
As the last sentence in the first paragraph states "I will get the prices together but if you want to list the prices and total, I will be more than thankful." So please read before you post as I am looking for helpful people not a smart a$$ that thinks I am lazy! I am looking for a parts list since it is confusing with all I have read such as plates, bushings, good die set, etc. And before anyone suggests, yes I do have books on order but am really excited and trying to get an idea of all equipment costs related to the Hornady LNL press for 45acp.

I read your post and found it very confusing! You sure are demanding for some one as new to the forum as you!

If you want a list of the things you need to reload, that is simple. Dies, shell plate, primer assembly,powder scale and calipers to measure oal.

Now, was that so hard?

don

#7 ·
Ok, I recommend we chalk it up to a simple misunderstanding and my apologies sir.

I already have calipers and mics
So adding a shell plate to the list

Hornady Shellplate #45 : $31
Thumlers Tumbler Model B HS 110v : $180 @ Midway

You mentioned Primer Assembly, doesn't that come on the press from above? After looking at the assembly on Midway it says it is a factory replacement in case of breakdowns or wears out so that leads me to believe that it is on the press.

Also for the Powder Scale, is there any recommendations as far as digital or balance beam? They all seem to have mixed reviews.

Again, Don I apologize for the misunderstanding!

#8 ·
The machine will come with everything you need to prime. You don't need any case prep tools besides a tumbler for 45acp. Also that's a very expensive tumbler. It's one of the best ones but expensive. A $50 Harbor Freight tumbler will do the same job.

Any beam scale made by Ohaus will last a lifetime. Check out the RCBS one and the Dillon one. I think Dillon sells the cheapest beam scale at around $55, it's a steal.

If I could olny have one scale it'd be a beam scale not a digital.

#9 ·

Tumbler (Not settled on a specific one yet)
Scale (Not settled on a specific one yet)

So I don't need anything for case prep? No trimming stretched cases, cleaning flash hole, or deburring?

#10 ·

Tumbler (Not settled on a specific one yet)
Scale (Not settled on a specific one yet)

So I don't need anything for case prep? No trimming stretched cases, cleaning flash hole, or deburring?
Don't worry about trimming pistol cases, in 55 years of reloading i have yet to trim a pistol case.

I use digital scales,rcbs and dillion, they are much faster then beam scales and i believe more accurate.

Get a vibratory case cleaner like the ones midway sells, much cheaper then the tumbler you were looking at, they are more for rock polishing then case cleaning.

This is a good place to get loading info so ask away!

don

#12 · (Edited)

Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension Nitride 45 acp 3 die set : $43 @ Midway
Hornady Quick Change Powder Through Expander Die .451 : $10 @ Midway
Hornady Quick Change Powder Through Expander Linkage : $7 @ Midway
Hornady Shellplate #45 : $31 @ Midway
Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-Easy Case Tumbler : $53 @ Midway
Frankford Arsenal DS-750 Scale : $37 @ Midway
Frankford Arsenal Impact Bullet Puller : $15 @ Midway

Total : $591 plus tx & shipping

Any recommendations on tumbling media?

#13 ·
I just got my Hornady LNL AP about a month ago. I also Bought the Hornady vibrator tumbler and really like it. It has a switch and is fairly quiet compared to other tumblers. I also got the Hornady electronic scale. I like it because I can zero out the weight of a case with primer installed. That makes it convenient to set the correct weight powder charge. I bought the RCBS inertia bullet puller and used it several times. It works great. As far as case prep for pistols, listen to the more experienced guys here. I have used all range brass for my 45 ACP and the only case prep so far has been cleaning in the tumbler. I loaded about 500 rounds so far with no problems. I have the Hornady reloading manual. When I was buying my reloading gear the Hornady 45 ACP taper dies were on back order so I got Redding carbide dies. They work great. I have some Hornady dies in different caliber and they also work great.

#14 ·
Updated the list and worked on getting the price down some. I will get the press through Midway but try and save as much as possible shopping around for the other cheaper items. I want Midway's customer support for back up on the press! I have the ABC's of reloading, Reloading for Handguns, and Hornady Reloading Manual on order. Should be in by Wed.

Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension Nitride 45 acp 3 die set w/ taper: $43 @ Midway
Hornady Quick Change Powder Through Expander Die .451 : $10 @ Midway
Hornady Quick Change Powder Through Expander Linkage : $7 @ Midway
Hornady Shellplate #45 : $31 @ Midway
Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-Easy Case Tumbler : $53 @ Midway
Frankford Arsenal DS-750 Scale : $37 @ Midway
Frankford Arsenal Impact Bullet Puller : $15 @ Midway

Total : $591 plus tx & shipping

Any recommendations on tumbling media?

#15 ·
I have the powder thru exp die, made my own linkage. But you don't need it unless you are adding a separate crimp die and using a lockout die, which I do, but you don't have either on your list. Lnl has five stations so 3 dies + powder = 1 empty.

#16 ·
Ok, so I was just reading up on the lock out dies and trying to figure out the difference in the hornady cop die vs RCBS lock out die. I have come to the conclusion that the RCBS lock out die would be the best buy. So if I add the lock out die, that still leaves me with an empty slot? And if so, what would you put in the open slot? Anything? or should I not use the powder thru expander? And if not, how do I expand the case for the bullet?

#17 ·
My neighbor has the lock out die and the Hornady one. Uses one on each of two different LNL's. The RCBS is far better IHO. But I can't remember if they both do rifle. Something tells me they won't but can't remember. If that's important to you check into that as well.

If you go the powder through die you can seat and crimp in different stages if you want to, but you'd need to buy an additional die. It makes setting up a little easier. A single seating/crimping die can be a bit tricky to set up for a novice.

#18 ·
Ok, so I was just reading up on the lock out dies and trying to figure out the difference in the hornady cop die vs RCBS lock out die. I have come to the conclusion that the RCBS lock out die would be the best buy. So if I add the lock out die, that still leaves me with an empty slot? And if so, what would you put in the open slot? Anything? or should I not use the powder thru expander? And if not, how do I expand the case for the bullet?
the 3 die set is resize/decap, expander, and seat/crimp. That second die expands case for bullet. Powder drop makes four stations.

The RCBS lockout die physically locks the press if detects double charge or no charge. It is more money, and you must set it for each caliber/charge, but I went with it because all the other powder cops just give a visual indication. I figured a cop is no better than visual that I was already doing - look in every case under a good light to confirm powder, still do after the lockout and just before seating. I just like the extra check that the lockout die gives, even if not absolutely necessary.

When I started reloading, I was doing 9mm FMJ, so I just went simplest with the combined seat /crimp die that is standard in 3 die sets. Same when I started 45, but when I got into 45 lead had trouble with the crimp so bought a separate crimp die, then backed the seat/crimp die out so it just does seat. I already had the RCBS lockout die for my logic explained above, so I had to combine powder and expander to make room for separate crimp.

Anyway, suggest you start simple, 3 dies plus powder = 4. Leave 5th open or add the lockout if you agree with me about extra safety, but beware that you still need to look into each case before bullet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.