First time shooting

Discussion in 'SA-XD/XD(M) Range Reports' started by DudemanDavid, Apr 9, 2011.

1. DudemanDavid

DudemanDavid XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have shot guns before, when I was younger. I am 29 now. The first time I shot a pistol it was a 9mm and it was about 9 years ago in the woods and only a few rounds. I have also shot shotguns when I was in high school. But today I will shoot at least 50 rounds through an SR9c and I am very excited because this will be the first time I ever took it seriously. (I know what that sounds like, that I was careless in the past and I assure you, I was not careless, just didn't know what to do really.) I was wondering if anyone can offer some advice on my outing today? It will be in a field not at a range. I will be with the owner of the gun and he is experienced. Any advice is welcome.

2. Tornadic

Tornadic XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Treat the gun better than the owner does.
    Always point the muzzle in a safe direction.
    Treat the gun as if it is loaded at all times.
    Go to the store and buy another 100 rounds.

See the classroom section for actual shooting tips.

3. DannyXBOX

DannyXBOX XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, buy more rounds. Especially since 9 is so much cheaper than other calibers. I would even buy two of the Winchester white boxes (for another two hundred round) and just TAKE YOUR TIME. It feels great to dump a full mag in seconds. But your best experience and learning curve will be had if you take your time to get your sights lined up and feel each shot. Take your time. Have fun.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  4. DudemanDavid

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I plan to take my time with most shots fired. I want to learn the feel of shooting. I know it will vary for each different gun. Thanks. How much do the Winchesters run a box? I picked up some Independence for $12.99. Wanted to buy American for the first time ever purchasing ammo. It was more symbolic than anything else.

5. 91 Whiskey

91 Whiskey XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Keep your finger away from the trigger until the gun is pointed down range and you are ready to fire. I went to the range yesterday with someone who kept putting his finger on the trigger while loading a fresh magazine. I asked him if he could stop doing that but he wouldn't listen. Don't thing I'll be going with him again.

6. chameleon

chameleon XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Keep your booger hook off the bang button! :twisted:

7. DudemanDavid

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, I took my time. I should have bought more rounds but the guy called and I had to meet him right away if I wanted to shoot. I had decent groupings from 5-7 meters away. I shot a few cans and also some steel targets. I also unloaded 14 of 16 rounds into the cardboard box the ammo came in. I can get used to this. It felt GREAT to fire a gun.

8. DudemanDavid

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I also have never taken a class, but I did use the greatest amount of common sense. I am a fast learner and I just don't want to take any chances. So, I exhibited a lot of caution today. That guy you went with wasn't too bright.

9. pepsi

pepsi XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Very similar situation here. 28, new to handguns (shot rifles sparingly in my youth). I think the thing that helped me with actual shooting is I picked up a couple higher velocity pellet rifles about a year ago and shoot in my basement range between 100 - 500 pellets a week. Cool, calm, breath control, trigger pull. Patience.

I always hear/read people say "Treat every gun as if it's loaded." I go one step further. I "[T]reat every gun as if it's loaded, and the trigger will pull itself at any inopportune moment." This scare factor keeps me very focused whenever I handle a gun. Not paranoid or scared, just focused.

It's a little late for your specific outing but another thing I go out of my way to do, whether handling a gun or in an area where a gun is being handled, especially at a public range: make slow(ish), deliberate movements.;)
    I always visualize the diner scene from Pulp Fiction. What's Fonzie like? Cool? That's what we're gonna be. We're gonna be cool.

10. johnson0317

johnson0317 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The Winchester box of 100 can cost $29. Remington UMC can cost 59 bucks for 250 rounds at Gander Mountain. They just had a sale where a box of 250 cost 49 bucks with rebate. I now have 1150 rounds of emergency ammo squirreled away in addition to the ammo in my range case.

Take advantage of any sale you come across! If you are the really patient type, you can get a somewhat better deal from people who sponsor on this site.

RJ

11. Clinton1621

Clinton1621 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Whenever I plan on taking someone "inexperienced" to shoot, I will clear my weapon and let them handle it CLEARED only. Then I watch what they do, correct it and watch them again... if they seem to not get the safety points after some time to learn, then they will not be handling a loaded weapon (and definitely not mine!) anywhere near me;)

12. KnightyKnight

KnightyKnight XDTalk 100 Member

The Great State of Texas By Choice, Louisiana by b
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Lol!!:D:D:D

13. DudemanDavid

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you for the suggestion. Just out of curiosity, what kind of emergency are you planning for? Lol.

14. DudemanDavid

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I can honestly say that I handled the weapon very responsibly. I even dropped the slide and put the safety on when the mag and chamber were empty. My movements were slow and deliberate. I can't wait to be an owner and am going to enroll in a CCL class this Friday.

15. Clinton1621

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sounds like you did good, always remember that a little common sense goes a long way... and safety first, foremost, and always! The life you save could be your own!;)

16. pepsi

pepsi XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Resident Evil: Real Life
    :lol:

That's the spirit! I'm glad I waited so long to become a gun owner. I appreciate it more.:cool:

17. Clinton1621

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A thousand or so rounds may sound like a lot... but I have gone through a couple hundred in a matter of minutes at the range;)

I wouldnt call a thousand rounds an emergency supply, more like a standard range supply:cool:

18. BAJ

BAJ XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In less than a half-hour, shooting outside at a private range, I shot over 120 rounds, using 10 pre-loaded mags.

Goes much faster outdoors for some reason. We'd have shot more but two guys wanted to go after us.

19. Johick05

Johick05 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree, I bought 300 rounds this weekend for my new stoeger cougar and i figured itd be good enough, but I ran out saturday quickly and was left without shooting the rest of the day :evil: