Springfield XD Forum banner

First shots with XDS 3.3" .45

4K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  bbrovold 
#1 ·
Wooooweeeee!!! This little thing is a handful! I was all over the place compared to my MOD.2 3.3" .45. Practice practice I needs more practice. Hopefully I won't regret not going 9mm.

#5 ·
Are you shooting one handed or something? I love my XDs 3.3" .45, and it's my main EDC gun. It shoots very reliably and consistently, and I've even used it during a speed steel competition - just to prove I could. I find it to be a very controllable combat pistol. Are you shooting 230 gr. +P ammunition? Try stepping down to a lighter weight bullet and non +P powder loading....

#20 ·
It is a hand cannon, no doubt, but it can be tamed with a good grip and practice. As @goldeneagle76 mentioned, a rubber Talon grip makes a huge difference. The factory grip was aggressive for me, and the Talon grip tamed it just enough for me to get a firmer hold. I liked it enough that I also bought the 9mm version lol.

Good shooting, @HumVee!

#23 ·
Honestly, I can't understand how people consider these things to have bad manners at all. I have between 250 and 300 rounds of standard target 230 grain FMJ rounds through mine at this point, and every time I go and shoot it, it amazes me how easy it is to handle and how manageable the recoil is. Call me crazy, but I actually enjoy shooting it more so than I do my full size Kimber 1911, same ammo through both guns. I love the aggressive factory grips on the gun, and it doesn't even bother me in the slightest having my pinky finger hang off the gun when shooting with the 5rd mag.

Absolutely the only complaint I have so far with this gun is the trigger. While I don't really flat out hate it, it is just blah. I'll probably try the PRP spring kit at some point just for the heck of it.

#26 ·
Absolutely the only complaint I have so far with this gun is the trigger. While I don't really flat out hate it, it is just blah. I'll probably try the PRP spring kit at some point just for the heck of it.
The springs won't help with the feel of the trigger beyond reducing the weight, but the spring+sear kit apparently helps with the feel as well (though, I've not tried the sear, just the springs).

#24 ·
I find it rather easy to understand. Everyone is not the same. What one finds comfortable often means little to someone else.

We are fortunate to have such a large selection of high quality modern personal weaponry. They all have their particular attributes that vary just enough to allow most shooters to find the gun that's "just right" for them.

I'm glad we are all individuals and its good to have choices.

#25 ·
No, I agree with you too actually. It is user preference. Basically the same way cars are everyone has their own individual needs and what sells them on a certain vehicle, guns are similar in that respect. And people customize their vehicles to get them to their standards the same way people with guns do.

What I was referencing was recoil in particular, taking into account what it is, and the small lightweight frame, it is actually shocking how low the recoil is. At least in my opinion, others may differ, and I cant really compare because I have never shot any other .45 ACP guns besides my 1911 prior to this one.

If someone is most comfortable with a .22, then by all means go for it. It really doesn't matter in a lot of situations as long as you know the gun well enough. Now before anybody jumps down my throat at that comment, then do some thinking about it, because if you can't shoot properly with something with a large recoil, then isn't shooting a basic .22 still better than not being armed at all should the need arise?

Reactions: HumVee
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.