First Reloads in 45 ACP For XDS- Reaction And Question

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by mk3turbo, Mar 17, 2013.

1. mk3turbo

mk3turbo XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I recently purchased my first reloading setup. I am set up for 45 acp, 9mm, and. 223. My first loads were for the 45 acp. After referencing several sources, my recipe was as follows:

230 grain sierra jhp
    Bullseye powder 5-5.8
    CCI large pistol primers

I started my load at 5 and worked up to 5.6 grains in increments of. 2 grains.

I made 10 of each load and shot them at the range and they all seemed to have more recoil than manufactured ammo I purchase.

My question is, can I go below min load to calm the kick down as long as they still eject properly?

Thanks!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

2. fredj338

fredj338 XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    You can load down until the gun won't run, then bring it back up 2/10gr. Not sure where you got your data form, but Lyman goes all the way down to 3.8gr & max out @ 5.3gr. Speer runs hotter, but keep in mind the BE is a very fast burning powder & small changes, especially @ the top end, can really drive pressures up. At 5gr, you should be somewhere around 800fps, close to factory ball ammo.

3. smike308

smike308 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think that your loads are too hot at 5.8 gr. of Bullseye under a 230 gr. jacketed bullet. I would stay closer to 5.0 gr. of Bullseye. Where did you get your load data from?

4. fredj338

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Why I asked, Speer runs very warm loads & they max @ 5.7gr. Caution is certainly warranted as many uberfast burners pressure spike when you cross max data. So there isn't such a thing as a little over max w/ such powders, very unforgiving.

5. smike308

smike308 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Agreed, 110%

6. theoriginalOSOK

theoriginalOSOK XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Speer data is for speer bullets only - they use a soft guilding metal that allows for a little more powder. You can not switch bullets and consider the loads safe.

You can get load data from the powder manufacturer's web sites and they are fairly conservative.

I personally like W231 for the 45ACP.

7. Bubba68

Bubba68 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You might want to try a different powder. Winchester WST works well in the 45 and the recoil is different than what you get with Bullseye powder. I use WST in my XDs and it works well. My XDs seems to like a factory duplication load better than reduced loads.

Make sure you get data on the powders you use and work up a load starting at the low end of the load data.

8. mk3turbo

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The load data was taken from Modern Reloading by Richard Lee. I just double checked the data and for a 230 grain jacketed bullet the data for bullseye is 5-5.7.

Thanks everyone for your help. I am going to start low and work my way up.

9. smike308

smike308 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    MK3-- From the Sierra Bullets Infinity Suite I6: Sierra .45 230 gr. JHP
    Bullseye---4.0 gr= 700 fps; 4.3 gr= 750 fps; 4.6 gr= 800 fps; 4.9 gr=850 fps
    MAX 5.2 gr= 900 fps
    Hope that helps.

10. mk3turbo

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the info. I actually just found the page from sierra online and noticed I was a grain too hot. Could have been worse and now I know to make sure my data is accurate. Now time to pull some bullets!

11. fredj338

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Well sort of. They do make other bullets besides the GoldDot & TMJ, they also have lead bullet data. IT is not just the GD desing, Speer pushes their loads to the wall where other manuals have reduced their data. If you notice, they lump their GD data in w/ other designs of the same wt. If you go back to their pre GD days, their data hasn't changed very much at all. So yes, you can use SPeer data w/ other bullets, you just have to work the loads up, same for ANY reloading manual data.

12. fredj338

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Better to learn the leason the easy way, with a bullet puller. WHy you need more than one ref for data. I use avg data form 3 published sources as my mni & max. Then work to the vel level you want. Never exceed avg max data unless you know exactly what you are doing. ALWAYS verify the powder & charge wt, like verify 3X. Guns get KB because people try to remember things instead of write them down. ALWAYS keep records of your loads, always.

13. gdcone

gdcone XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Last weekend I ran a few test rounds through my XD Tactical (5").
    I was using Berry's 230 gr plated round nose bullets, federal once fired brass (I fired it), and CCI 300 primers. These plated bullets need to run a little slower than jacketed so this is what I tested (all loads out of Lyman's 49th edition--mid-range loads):
    6.0gr and 6.2gr Unique--close to factory, 6.0gr's was a nice load.
    4.4gr and 4.6gr Bullseye--too soft but I do not like BE for a 230gr.45 round
    5.0gr and 5.2gr Universal--both nice loads in the 5". Most accurate was the 5.0gr's so I loaded some more and ran them in my XDS. They functioned great but in the 3.3' barrel they felt soft (you could shoot them all day like that) All of my test rounds were set at a COL of 1.265"
    My goal was one round that would shoot well in both pistols--I will try the 6.0gr Unique load next in the XDS--I know it will function and shoot well, but this load was not the most accurate in the XD.

14. Roklok

Roklok XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My book on the Model 1911 has many loading suggestions for lead 180/200 grain semi wad cutters to 230 grain lead round nose. A duplicate load for military 230 grain FMJ is listed as 4.7 grains of bulleye. That is the load I have been shooting for about 30 years. Accurate and functions well in any 1911 that it was used in.