First post. Springfield 1911A1 Champion 4"

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by DannyXBOX, Apr 3, 2011.

1. DannyXBOX

DannyXBOX XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Proud new owner of a Springfield 1911A1. I own an XD9 and I have been on the market for a 1911 since about two years ago. That's about the time I laid my eyes on Springfield's 1911A1 Operator Champion. After much research and many, many countless hours online. I stumbled across the Operator's brother, the Lightweight Champion, which is virtually the Operator sans the "tactical rail" ergo no longer an "Operator." However the sizing and upgrades are identical. I had my heart set on the Operator and was determined to get one... however the past two years have doled out many "item sold" and "item not available" banners. Calls to virtually every gun shop, on at least a bi-weekly basis turned up nothing but used rollover minutes. The same went for the LW Champion... until, the Crossroads of the West show a few weeks ago at the Arizona Cardinals stadium. I went with my wife and son. All of us keeping our eyes focused for the "Unicorn" Operator Champion. After hours of looking at tables full of other fine and worthy 1911's, I found one! or so I thought. The cocobolo wood grips and tactical rail lie before me... with an inch of "extra" barrel. :( It was the Springfield Operator, but it was the full size, not the Champion 4" barrel that my heart desired. Dismayed and tired of looking for something thought to have existed only in website photographs and european folklore, my eyes caught about a beautiful black and olive drab 1911 that seemed a bit odd. It lay next to the other 1911's and was screaming, "LOOK AT ME!! I am shorter than all my neighbors!" My hand grasped around the slim, checkered rubber grips, and I thought to myself, "This is it." It felt as though it was a part of me. I pulled the hammer back and let out a sigh. There is no feeling like cocking back the hammer of a 1911. Or so I thought... I asked the sales associate kindly, if he could remove the strap and security wire. He did so with no hesitation. Once it was free of its zip tie and prison wire, I held it firmly and directed my eyes down sights. It looked and felt better than any picture or description had try to detail. "I wonder what the trigger pull feels like." I though aloud.
    "Pull it." He replied.
    And with an ever so gentle squeeze, the hammer fell, as if it predicted that I was going to tug on its aluminum body.
    :::eek:rgasmic gasp::
    "I'll take it." I murmured.

I love my 1911A1 Champion.

My fingers hurt from typing, so I will post pics and answer questions as they arrive.

To pre-answer some possible questions. I had to wait a week to take it to the range and fire it. It was worth every minute of wait, and every dollar. Fired flawlessly, no FTF's or FTE's. *Note: I DID clean and lubricate before I popped its cherry.

Hope you are excited as me.
    Almost shrilled like a little girl on the way back to car.
    Enjoy.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  2. Spydered

Spydered XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Congrats on the LW Champion...The long wait is over and now it's time to enjoy that beautiful pistol...:)

3. DannyXBOX

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you. Just gotta find a good holster for it. I had a SERPA II for my XD9 for OC and a crossbreed for CC. I checked out the SERPa for the 1911. It's a nice fit, but it was designed for full sized 1911 and there is that much more holster material hanging down.

4. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Congrats.

5. B. Adam

B. Adam XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think a champion operator will be my next purchase. I have a 3" and a 5" I need to complete the family!

6. f150baja

f150baja XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    you could chop the serpa.

7. SAR

SAR XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    congrats. good purchase

8. DannyXBOX

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I considered it, but found that Blackhawk! Does in fact make a SERPA for the "1911 COMMANDER and clones" so I think I may just go with that. I am not too impressed with this "Armory Kote" finish either. At first it seemed as though it was superior to the parkerized finish on my XD9, but it's been only two and a half weeks and it's ALREADY started to show signs of holster wear (using the OC belt holster that Springfield provides.) I dont expect it to stay perfect forever, especially with as much holstering and unholstering I do cause I can't keep my damn hands off of it, buuuuttt, I figured the finish on a thousand dollar gun would be a little more durable than that.

9. TucsonDirt

TucsonDirt XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0
    Congrats on the new-to-you Champion, love the OD green/black combo.
    And welcome from Tucson!

10. charlie.45

charlie.45 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Congrats on the new 1911 and perhaps a nice leather holster would help protect your finish a little better. I don't use the supplied holster from Springfield it's rough on the finish.

11. DannyXBOX

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have been using the SA supplied holster and it has been making marking on the slide. I wonder how much SA charges to "refinish" the slide

12. PHATSPEED7X

PHATSPEED7X XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Congrats on the new 1911!!!!!!

13. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Anywhere from $45 for Park'd up to a couple hundred plus shipping for something more durable depending on what you want and whether you just want the slide or the whole pistol.

Springfield Armory

That said, it if's going to be a carry gun as many alloy pistols are, I would get used to the wear. Leather may wear less but it will eventually again wear the finish off, get scratched, etc unless it's going to spend most of it's time in the safe.

I kinda like the look of a gun that's gotten some use.

14. Rbrad1

Rbrad1 XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0
    Congrats on the SA 1911. I am, also, in the market for a 1911. I will be traveling to the Florida Gun Exchange on Saturday and see what they are offering. Wish me "luck".:)

15. DannyXBOX

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the info. Exactly what I was looking for. GREAT.. now I have to buy upgrades!!!!!