First couple 100 rounds through new XDM 9mm

Discussion in 'XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)' started by SirYancelot, Feb 25, 2009.

1. SirYancelot

SirYancelot XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, I recently joined this wonderful community after purchasing a new XDM 9mm. I am fairly new to handguns. In October of 2008, I purchased my first semi-auto pistol. For a variety of reasons which I don't care to get into, I purchased a Glock G17. Well, fast forward a few months, and I'm bitten by the bug. I wanted another gun! I'd shot my buddies XD, and held the XDM at my local shop/range and liked what Id read. So, fast forward to last week, and I made the purchase, and went to the range with my beautiful new XDM.
    Being as brief as possible, heres what happened. I shot worse than I ever have. Thinking it may take time to get adjusted to the much different trigger, I went back a couple days later. Again, the results were nasty:evil:. I went back this afternoon with both the G17 and XDM. My groupings with the Glock were maximum 2-2.5". Just beautiful. Switch to the XDM, and I couldn't hit the side of a freakin' barn. Groupings averaged 8-10".

I'm by no means a troll, or trying to start a Glock v. SA debate, I just want some input as to why the heck this may be occuring. I expected greatness from the XDM, just as most of you have reported. Could it simply be the sights are off? I'm not limp wristing it. Any input? I wanna love this brand new beauty, but it's hard to love 8" groupings :)

2. NightWind

NightWind XDTalk 100 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    You sound just like me a few weeks ago and after some advice I managed to pull off the following results the next week after I did:

1. SLOWING DOWN
    2. Standing with feet at shoulder width apart slightly bent
    3. Arms almost extended out when drawing gun
    4. Focusing on front site
    5. Slowly, pull, pull, pull BANG!!! the trigger
    6. Rinse repeat
    [​IMG]

3. King

King XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    lol,,, you should read my other thread titles "xdm shooting low and left" but anyway most likely the problem is your pulling the trigger with to much force causing the gun to twitch to the left. trust me i know that was my problem when i first started to shoot my xdms. your glock has a very nice easy trigger pull compared to the xdms trigger....also, the gun is fairly new to you so it will take some time getting use to...but mostly your problem is ur jerking your wrist when you pull the trigger...pull slow and i know your gonna pull the trigger and be like "why hasnt this thing fired yet???" but you gotta pull it a bit longer

4. King

King XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    as for you, congrats!...i have been monitoring some of your other gripe threads about your poor shooting and it looks like your doing 90% better so keep practicing!

5. Armed Infidel

Armed Infidel XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    One thing to keep in mind is that the grip angle of the two are different as well as the triggers.

It's hard to coach on line... basically, go back to the basics and S-L-O-W down. Get a good shooting stance. Move up close to your target, fire one round in to it, then aim at the hole you just made. Relax, breath and P-R-E-S-S the trigger.

My instructor always said "practice, practice, practice" until it made me want to choke him but you know what? He was right! :rolleyes:

Hang in there, you'll get that weapon shooting center. ;)

OH YEAH! Welcome aboard!

6. xdm40

xdm40 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Welcome and it tough going from a glock to shooting an Xdm. I had the same issues going from my Xdm to the Sig. I have some more time in at the range now and the XDm is awesome.

7. SirYancelot

SirYancelot XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    To all of you that replied.... Thanks for all the advice. Can't wait to go try the tips at the range! Now if I could just find some good defense ammo for a reasonable price. ;)