Firearm Self Defense Legal Considerations

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by donkin, Dec 16, 2012.

1. donkin

donkin XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    so whether having a firearm at home or if you ccw, if you end up using it to protect yourself you could be in for criminal or civil issues. hopefully nobody ever has to draw their weapon on someone else, but it could happen.

has anyone signed up for the nra self-defense insurance? it is a rider to their excess personal protection insurance.

NRA Endorsed Insurance Program Self-Defense Liability Coverage

also i was at the range and some guy handed out a brochure about the armed citizens legal defense network. down at the bottom of the 1st page there is link to download a PDF document of a story about a man from AZ whose 3 neighbors attacked him. I highly recommend you download and read that story. he shot in self defense and got charged.

Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network, Inc.

i really found this site informative and am contemplating signing up, however i need to do more research, cuz with the NRA self defense rider looks like you get much more 50k in coverage for a lawyer.

what are your guys thoughts? do you guys research and get to know your local laws on self in defense in the home or when out in public ccw? would you guys sign up for the NRA Self defense insurance or the citizens legal defense network?

2. HB of CJ

HB of CJ XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 12
    Some homeowners policies, (most?) do not include firearms as a method of self protection. It voids their necessity of paying out for civil or criminal liabilities. Yep. Also check to see if carrying, (legally) AND EMPLOYING in vehicles still covers you.

Friends right now are going around and around with their insurance company. Seems they don't want to insure an extensive firearms collection, especially title 2 stuff. Ask many questions of your agent when buying renters insurance. HB of CJ (old coot)

Not a NRA member yet, but....? All NFA rules apply

3. Groo

Groo XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +167 / 1
    I am not insured for everything under the sun. The scenarios were this type of insurance would come in handy seam remote enough that I will take the risk of going bankrupt over it.

4. thetravlor

thetravlor XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0
    Read the real fine print in that NRA insurance.

We just changed agencies because of retirement of our agent. Upgraded amounts in case of truck break in while hunting. American Family had no problems.