Fiocchi 123gr FMJTC "COMBAT" rounds???

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by XDAndMe, Sep 19, 2006.

1. XDAndMe

XDAndMe XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    At the last gun show where I bought my XD9, I also picked up 4 boxes of Fiocchi 9mm ammo that was going for $7/box. It's labeled "123 gr FMJTC (COMBAT)" on the box. The bullets are not normal ball ammo. They have, as the name suggests, a truncated cone to make them pointy.

I looked up the figures this ammo from a distributor's website. They claim a muzzle velocity of 1,250 ft/s and a muzzle energy of 420 ft. lbs. I'm new to this, so I'm going to ask... isn't that really high for a 9mm of its weight?

I was looking around at other ammo on the site, even some +P rounds, and none of their stated energies exceeded 397 ft. lbs. Could this just be a really hot round? Do they do this for penetration? It seems to me that the powder charge on these, combined with the cone bullet, are designed to really go through stuff. :???: I'm kind of scared to use them.

I picked them up because I read great things about Fiocchi online. A few reviewers, not all of them American, praised it for how well it groups and how clean it burns. It's pretty darn cheap, too... and it looks well made. I think the reviews were talking about normal Fiocchi FMJ's though. Not sure.

Anyway, here's a pic (click to enlarge):

[​IMG]

Anybody ever use these? Comments?

2. XDAndMe

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Don't all talk at once! :p

I didn't think a simple question about whether or not 420 ft. lbs. of energy is too much for a standard pressure 9mm round would be that hard to answer...

[​IMG]

3. Echo5Oscar

Echo5Oscar XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Maybe you should have added something political to your question, or better yet, given it a political title. I'm sure you would have had a dozen responses in the first hour. :p They might have even gotten around to answering your question too. :D

4. agalindo

agalindo XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    Might check to see if it's 9mm ammo meant for SMGs if so it will be too hot for you pistol.

5. XDAndMe

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hahaha, good call :) Ok, then...

Will these rounds penetrate the thick skull of a far-left antigunner, or should I reserve them for spotted owls? Please advise.

6. XDAndMe

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I don't think it is, but is there an easy way to find out?

I looked them up on the manufacturer's website: http://www.fiocchiusa.com/cat_centerfire.php

They actually claim 425 ft. lbs., which is 5 more than I thought. They're the ones with the stock number 9APC.

7. XDAndMe

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I'm really disappointed no senior member on a gun forum knows the answer to such a simple question.

8. jonny04srt4

jonny04srt4 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    a quick search on google turned up some ballistics data for 9mm. tho most of what i have found is slower and has less energy than your fiocchi, on a chart i found black hills 124jhp +P 1306fps and 470lbs/ft muzzle energy. http://www.ballisticreview.com/9mm.html

9. XDAndMe

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    So it won't hurt my gun? I'm sorry to sound so newbie-ish, but that's what I am with regard to handguns... :oops:

By the way, thank you very much for taking some time to look up ballistic data for me.

10. ef9turbo

ef9turbo XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hehe.. my response to you.. quit being a pusssy and load that ish up and fire away :)

11. XDAndMe

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Right to the point. This is exactly what I'm after! :lol:

12. ef9turbo

ef9turbo XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    you already know someone like me was going to tell you that and you knew that you were going to shoot these no matter what, so i dunno why you even asked :) shoot away man.. if not i'll be more then happy to "test" them for you :mrgreen:

13. XDAndMe

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    It's because I've never fired this gun yet... just bought it last Saturday, and it's my first handgun that I own. Maybe a silly thread, but whatever. Can't be too safe.

14. thanos297

thanos297 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    good day all,
    i am new to this forum as i got delivery of my new XDM compact 9mm only today.
    however, i had a lot of reading here before my first post. you guys convinced me that i made the right choice.

i also purchased the black mamba 100grs fmjtc which i shot a lot at the range and i found suitable for the XDM compact 9mm.

energy = 1/2 mass x velocity^2 so a super fast bullet will have more energy even if it is lighter than slower but heavier rounds.

in my humble opinion, the black mamba with its truncated cone can deliver very well for self defense, provided it is placed correctly.

p.s. i am not an expert (not even close) shooter with handguns but have studied mathematics and have some good experience with rifles which is a totally different story.

15. Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 10K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +380 / 4
    First off, welcome to the forum...

Second, I suggest you do some reading...

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

Energy figures are, quite bluntly, one of the poorest (if not the poorest) ways of determining a round's terminal effectiveness.

That 100gr FMJTC is going to make a very narrow wound; your actual permanent cavity (tissue destroyed) is only going to be about .25" in diameter.

You'll be much better served with one of the heavier JHP's mentioned in the link I gave above.

ETA--for even more reading, I suggest this: http://firearmstactical.com/wound.htm