Finally made my first batch of live rounds

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by fedmanshooter, Oct 1, 2012.

1. fedmanshooter

fedmanshooter XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know this is probably nothing to most of you guys but for me is a big step. Thanks to all of you that helped me along the way, especially Fred. I loaded 15 rounds of 9mm with 147gr using Clays at the lowest range in the book at 1.9grs. Im pretty confident in the quality of what I made because I checked, double checked, and triple checked, and made quite a few dummy rounds before I ever opened the powder. Even at that I will not shoot the first couple out of my XDM. The first couple will be shot out of my first 9mm, S&W SVE9. If everything goes well then I will put them in my XDM. I know it seems like a very light load but that is what Im looking for. I will get out one day this week and test them out. I will post results after testing. Thanks again guys.

2. NVshooter

NVshooter XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thinking about starting myself. What is the cost to get a mid grade setup that will load 3 different calibers? Just looking for a rough estimate to get all the parts and pieces to be a productive reloader.

3. rayikeo2

rayikeo2 XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Is this correct? 1.9 gr of clays with a 147 gr bullet?
    If so, don't shoot them because the first one will not make it out of the gun barrel and the second one will get stuck behind the first one and cause a blow up.:shock:

4. rayikeo2

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    If anyone else is loading clays, jump in here with your load data for 9mm, 147 gr bullet. What is your minimum charge of clays for this bullet?

Fedmanshooter, where did you find load data for 1.9 gr?

5. scotty8

scotty8 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That is an extremely light load, but I wouldn't hesitate to shoot it. A true squib that will leave a bullet in the barrel generally has no powder at all, just a primer. Even the primer will drive a bullet an inch or more down the barrel (want to guess how I know that?). However, I would not be surprised if it fails to cycle the gun. Clays is a very fast powder to use behind a heavy 9mm bullet. If the gun fails to cycle, just load up another batch at 2.0 or 2.1 grs until you get some reliability. Be careful on the high end as 0.3gr of Clays can make a big difference in pressure. You may be happier buying some lighter bullets to use with that powder.

Welcome to reloading. Have fun and be safe.

6. agalindo

agalindo XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    I've never used Clays but it's a freaking fast burner. Faster than Titegroup. Personally I wouldn't use it as a first powder for a newbie.

7. 57K

57K XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    fedmanshooter, I would sure consider using a different powder, especially since you're a new reloader. What I would recommend is a slower burning powder that would overflow or near overflow in case you accidentally double-charged a cartridge case. One I like is Ramshot Silhouette because it was designed for higher performance rounds like the 9mm. It burns fairly clean, meters well, has very low muzzleblast and will provide good case fill.

I understand that you're trying to load to a mild level but you don't have to use an ultra-fast powder to accomplish that. Many times a slower burning powder will provide very good accuracy at start charges or at barely above a start charge. Velocity is lower so the load is milder and if later on you decide you want more performance, it's just a matter of increasing the powder charge. With Clay's you are very limited in this regard. I don't worry about economy when selecting a powder because it's already your lowest cost factor outside of brass that can be reloaded over and over again.

You can get a lot of recommendations for powder but as a new reloader the best ones will be those that will overflow the case if double charged. I use ball powders exclusively in handgun loads because they are denser than their flake counterparts. They are almost always better in powder charge consistency because of the density of the smaller grain size and tend to have less muzzleblast. fredj338 recommends WSF quite a bit and it would meet all of the requirements I mentioned. ;)

8. fredj338

fredj338 XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Not a big CLays fan, specially in high pressure rds, but I find it more sueful than TG for bunny fart loads, better bulk/volume/loft. It DOES pressures spike as you get to the top end, so caution when going above midrange is prudent. Heavier bullets make a pressures pike more likely too, be extra prudent.

9. fredj338

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    That is the min in the lYman manual for a lead bullet. That could actually be too low if using a plated & certainly too low for a jacketed bullet. The risk of a squib goes up there. I hope fedman has a really good scale. THis is why I don't like or recommend such powders, especially to noobs. You'll probably find the load performs better closer to 2.4gr. The longer/heavier bullets need some vel to stabilize, I am not sure sub 700fps is going to get it done.

10. sbrader

sbrader XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    After a lot of tinkering, I came up with a load that my XD9sc loves. It is extremely accurate (far more accurate than the bozo holding the pistol) and fun to shoot. I understand the big step you're taking. It was a big step for me to shoot off my first reloads and even bigger when I narrowed it down to a great load. I love shooting great groups at the range knowing that I have surpassed any factory load I ever shot in accuracy and managed recoil. Enjoy that feeling and hope that it never goes away!

That said, I don't load with Clays so I'll defer to the other folks on load data. I will say, though, that it's still a big thrill shooting rounds I loaded myself.

11. fedmanshooter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi guys, thanks for the feedback. The data is in the Lymans for 9mm/147gr. Two things I did with these was 1) I trickle loaded these using a Dillon electronic scale to exactly 1.9 for each. Since I was not sure they would work I didnt bother setting the powder drop and just pulled them out after priming and hand loaded the powder. 2) The book called for an oal of 1.058 and I set them just over that from 1.059 to 1.063. I did make one mistake that Fred just pointed out. I used the data for lead and I used fmj. In knowing that would you shoot these or not?

12. agalindo

agalindo XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    I wouldn't they might stick in the barrel. Do you have a bullet puller?

13. fedmanshooter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I do, would you suggest pulling them and redoing them under the correct data. I would hate for my first experience with loading turn out not so good because I used wrong data.

14. YoopermikeXDM

YoopermikeXDM XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Try HS6, its a good powder for 9mm and is somewhat forgiving.

15. dawgchamp

dawgchamp XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    This may help, but apparently his chosen powder isn't used for a 147gr projectile.

Reloading 9 MM Luger Page

16. YoopermikeXDM

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    What manual are you using?? my lymans 48th does not even list clays as an option for a jacketed 9mm 147 grn . It DOES list it for a 147 grn #2 alloy bullet at 1.9. DO NOT USE THIS AMMO! Destroy them! or pull em and reclaim the components! ( unless your using a lead alloy bullet)

17. fredj338

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    You could check it by test firing, have a squib rod with you if it doesn't hit paper. It's not going to blow up, but it may stick & followed up w/ another round, would be a disaster.

18. rayikeo2

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Fedmanshooter, you did an excellent job loading the powder using an electronic scale and a trickler. I have to give you credit there. It was the clays load data that worried me. Do you have any other powders or any other bullets? If so we can give you some safe to load data on them if you need it. I think something other than clays is in order.

19. fedmanshooter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In the $1,100 range for dillon 650 and all extras

20. YoopermikeXDM

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Not everyone has to go dillon. You can get a good rcbs set up for $500-$700 bucks.