Female Going For My CCW Soon?

Discussion in 'CCW and Open Carry Talk' started by AutumnN, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Jun 4, 2017 #11
    Texas40

Texas40 XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +1,184 / 12
    Well I know my CCW class NO shooting from concealment/holster. They want to MAKE SURE YOU KNOW HOW TO OPERATE YOUR WEAPON AND HIT THE TARGET. They arent there to teach you about carrying your weapon. YOU need to determine what is best and most comfortable for you and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE after passing your chl test.

Become 100% comfortable and confident with the weapon you intend to carry BEFORE you worry about how and where to carry it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Jun 4, 2017 #12
    marrow

marrow XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 1
    I don't advocate purse carry. I do know there are purses which have the shoulder strap reinforced with kevlar, but men are generally bigger and stronger than women, so women will just dragged along with the purse, only to lose it anyway. I strongly advocate for on body carry.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Jun 4, 2017 #13
    TSiWRX

TSiWRX XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +2,146 / 7
    For this type of information, join your state firearms hobbyist Forums. :)

I Googled "north carolina concealed carry forum" (via your disclosed location under your Forum avatar), and of the three top-ranking results, I immediately recognized the NCGunOwners URL. Similarly, larger Forums like DefensiveCarry.com also has state-by-state or regional sub-Forums for local participation.

4. Jun 4, 2017 #14
    EJR26

EJR26 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +450 / 3
    Autumn, you didn't say, but have you taken any training classes? If not, good place to start.

5. Jun 19, 2017 #15
    AirForceAce357

AirForceAce357 XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +669 / 2
    I agree with others that it's best to check with your instructor as far as which method to use during the class. They probably won't allow drawing from a bag/purse for safety reasons (the gun can cover people next to you on the line in the drawing process). For general carry uses, I recommend carrying on your body whenever possible. There is always the risk of losing or having your purse taken from you, which would result in arming a criminal as well. Granted, on body carry can be more challenging sometimes for women due to how you dress, but it is the safest way to carry and tends to be the easiest/fastest method to draw from as well. Inside the Waistband (IWB) is how a lot of people tend to conceal, and appendix carry (a variation of IWB worn in the front of the belt line near the belt buckle) is becoming more and more prevalent these days as well.

Even after you finish your CCW class, i HIGHLY recommend you take additional training classes from a competent instructor! Most CCW classes cover the very basics of safety, gun types, methods of carry, state/local laws, marksmanship, and a little bit of shooting. All of that is a good baseline to start from, but what you really need is the next level of true training that will really teach you how to FIGHT and defend yourself. The journey for more knowledge and training should be never ending for all of us, whether you learn from local instructors or go to one of the well known gun training schools like Thunder Ranch,Gunsite, Shootrite, Tactical Response etc. Keep asking questions, keep learning and you'll find the answers you need and hopefully more skill and confidence in how/when to use the gun should you ever need to.

6. Jun 19, 2017 #16
    JWA

JWA XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 13
    Here's a video of one Ms Anna Taylor owner/operator of a company that designs and sells CC garments women can use to very effective concealment:

And yes she IS easy on the male eyes! :) (That's one video that just does not grow old or tiring to watch. :D)

Agree 100% if it all possible or in the budget. Training that incorporates "real life" simulated situations is also recommended over only plinking away at paper targets at a range. Most localities have some sort of gun clubs where this sort of thing is possible.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Jun 20, 2017 #17
    AirForceAce357

AirForceAce357 XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +669 / 2
    True, training does cost money but it's definitely worth it. I'm on a tight budget myself so I sympathize, but one way I've funded my classes has been to bring my own lunch to work instead of buying it, and not going crazy with happy hours or stuff like that. You'd be surprised how fast it adds up. I just put a little away each month and then go when I have enough. That and setting aside some tax return money was how I funded going all the way to Thunder Ranch for a defensive handgun class last year! Took me 2 yrs to save up that cash, but it was worth every cent of it!

It always amazes me seeing people I know who claim to be serious about self defense buying gun, after gun, after gun, after gun, and then a boat load of optics and other accessories but no training. Gear is fun, but in the long run training and knowledge are a better investment. I always figure what I learn from a class is more valuable than yet another gun in the safe (assuming you have enough to have your basic bases covered).

• Like Like x 2
  8. Jun 20, 2017 #18
    RogerB

RogerB XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 9
    Always on your body. Don't gift wrap your pistol.

9. Jun 20, 2017 #19
    windsearcher

windsearcher XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +620 / 2
    there are a lot of considerations for you, if/when you decide to carry "off body" (ie your purse)...... you really need to be in control of the firearm at all times that it is not in a safe / lockbox or otherwise secured, and so, if in your purse, is it really under your control all the time?

Just a thought.....

That being said, my wife isn't going to modify her clothes to carry on body, and she doesn't have the drive to make sure she's in control of the firearm all the time, so it ends up staying in the car / home safe most often. I would suggest that, along with plenty of training, you really take a good hard look at how devoted you want to be with carrying concealed. (I don't know you personally, so just advice you may have already taken, sorry if I assume wrongly).

Along with the previous link, I actually like this woman's writing as well:

Cornered Cat | If you have to fight, fight like a cornered cat.

Good luck with getting your permit, be safe!!