FAL Bolt Hold Open Fix

Discussion in 'FAL Talk' started by AKM, Jan 2, 2013.

1. AKM

AKM XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have had my FAL for 10 years now and the whole time the last round bolt hold open has not worked. I knew the pin had been ground off and I figured I'd need to buy a surplus hold open but I just never "got around to it".

Well I stumbled across this article yesterday. So... a trip to the deep-o and a few minutes with a couple of hand tools and vee-oh-la, working last round bolt hold open.

Two things that don't seem right in the article:
    1 - The actual roll pin diameter you need is 3/32.
    2 - There is no need to remove the hinge pin. Just make sure it's unloaded and the bolt is forward.

The deep-o only had 3/4 length so I had to cut it to size. I suggest cutting it a little long and then grinding it down as needed.

And remember, roll pins are not all created equal. You'll want one that's a bit larger than 3/32. The first couple I tried were too small. You will know it's too small if you can push it all the way through by hand. I found one that would go in the larger hole but wouldn't go through the smaller.

[​IMG]

Don't move the mag release once the pivot pin/screw is removed and it should stay in place. The bolt hold open will slide out the bottom.

[​IMG]

Roll pin installed and ready to go back together. In order to get the pivot pin back in you have to position the bolt hold open about 1/4 inch from the bottom of the slot.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  2. ArmyGuy45

ArmyGuy45 XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0
    Pics or it didnt happen

3. AKM

AKM XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    pics

4. ArmyGuy45

ArmyGuy45 XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0
    Awesome
    Good job

5. M1A4ME

M1A4ME XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Why do they do that?? I bought a FAL several years ago that was like that and we had to put a roll pin in it to make it hold the bolt open.

I just wondered what was the point behind grinding it off (mine was ground down flush.

6. AKM

AKM XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As I understand it some government egghead in some country decided that open bolts attract sand by some sort of magical power.

Not sure what country or countries did that to the STG. I do know the brits made the L1A1 without a LRBHO. They were so worried about sand in the bolt that they added sand cuts.

7. M1A4ME

M1A4ME XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Okay, mine is an STG with the barrel shortened and flash suppressor welded/silver soldered to the barrel. I took the bipod off the barrel and left it off.

8. AKM

AKM XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mine is also an STG (not sure what country the kit was from) with 18" barrel and a short Steyr flash hider. It didn't come with a bipod but the first thing I did was toss the metal handguards anyway.

9. tone1

tone1 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    here is my fix to the bolt hold open bolt-hold-last-round-fall1a1 i have a post that shows what i did to the mags

10. ca survivor

ca survivor XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Old mercenary trick they didn't want the enemy to know the FAL was empty or they were changing mags, so I was toll.