Failure to load. Ammo jams nose-down in magazine.

Discussion in 'XD-45ACP Discussion Room' started by jimmylozza, Apr 23, 2006.

1. jimmylozza

jimmylozza XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm wondering what the problem with my XD 45 ACP Service could be. The brass is ejecting fine, but I'm getting occasional "nose down" jams of bullets in the mag, which keeps the slide almost all the way open. It's a real easy thing to clear it. I just pull back slightly on the slide and release it and the bullet loads, and firing continues as normal.

I wonder if the magazine springs are losing the ability to keep the bullets pushed up properly because it usually happens toward the last few bullets (I keep the mags full all the time). I don't know, maybe the recoil spring has a problem and the slide is not coming back forcefully enough.

I've had three brands of ammo jam in this way. It's happened the first time with Golden Sabre, then with Fiocci, then with WWB. The gun worked fine for quite a while, and has only had this problem in the last 100 rounds (700+ through total).

2. fynky

fynky XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had the same problem with my XD45ACP after hand surgery. I had a friend shoot 2 full mags and he had no problems. After building up my grip strength, the problem went away. YMMV

3. jimmylozza

jimmylozza XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I guess that would be like limp-wristing, only it slips at the grip instead. The last time it happened, I had shot some some 300 gr 454s through my Ruger Alaskan, so maybe my grip on the XD suffered as a result. Maybe I'll try some of the products people put on their grips (grip tape, etc.).

4. Boricua

Boricua XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Check your follower, is the upper edge of it at the bend on the mag feed lips? If not it is putting your bullets too low for feeding. Someone else sent his mags back for this reason. :D

5. johnnyphaze

johnnyphaze XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i've also had this similiar problem....

i've only shot two brands of ammo....winchester and cci blazer.

only the winchesters jammed in this fashion. with what you guys said it could be the mag. maybe the blazers don't have a problem because they aren't as heavy?

6. skygun9

skygun9 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Less than a FIRM grip can also cause this problem......have you let anyone else shoot the pistol to see if it happens to them?

IMHO I'd try that before I'd start sending stuff back to Springfield.

Skygun9

7. jimmylozza

jimmylozza XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm going to try the grip additions to see if they help. But, how is it that a limp grip can have you end up with the bullet pointed nose-down about 20 degrees in the magazine and the slide jammed on it's butt? I'm not doubting it could be a grip problem, I just want to understand physically how the lazy grip can cause such an angle of the bullet in the magazine. Since the slide is jamming on it's way back over the bullet (just about an eighth of an inch forward of fully back), how does a firm grip prevent the bullet from going downward and jamming on the front of the magazine instead of angling up onto the feed ramp?

8. HKP2K

HKP2K XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Unlikely it is limp wristing. I had a follower with a rough edge causing it to stick on one of my mags.

Clean and inspect your mags. Make sure that the follower slides to top smoothly.

Usually limp wristing will give you a FTE. I tried to limp wrist mine to get it to fail and couldn't.

9. steelguitarman

steelguitarman XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My 4" was having the same exact problem with Hydrashoks. I sent it to SA, and they recut and polished the ramp. I got it back, and it still had FTF with Hydrashoks. I tried Golden Sabers, and STILL had FTF.

At this point, if the problem was properly diagnosed and corrected, I would never be able to trust this gun as a reliable carry weapon. I will probably buy a Glock in the same caliber. I don't understand the big deal about the XD in .45 ACP. After all, the Glock 21 holds 13+1 rounds of .45 ACP.

Furthermore, if it is limpwristing, would you want a weapon that you have to consciously make an effort to attain the correct grip before you fire in a self defense situation?

I am interested in selling the XD if someone wants a good deal. It fires ball ammo just fine.

10. markl1057

markl1057 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I too have had a nose down feed failure, and as you stated it was easy to correct, by pulling back on the slide. I noted a comment about ammo types, Winchester being the round type mentioned as a cuplrit, this is the type I have always used in ball ammo. I have used this ammo in both my Kimber and Colt 1911's without any proublems. I am currently using LSA lube, the type used in the M-16, very lightly inside the mag's as a experiment and I will be frank I don't like this solution due to dirt sticking to the inside so I am open to any suggestions.

11. markl1057

markl1057 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I failed to mention that this has happened in at least two of my four magazines. And out of 800 rounds of Winchester target ball ammo, it only has happened four times.[/b]

12. HKP2K

HKP2K XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mark,

I did the same thing in testing out my one mag with problem. The lube helped a bit but is not a solution. I would examine the followers and maybe try to compare between a good mag and one giving you problems. Mine was clearly sticking a bit and it doesn't take much for it to give you a fail to feed.

Also on the bad mag the lips were clearly sharper. They would shave the skin off my finger just below the nail. I also buffed the lip. You want the round to slide smoothly and not possibly catch a bit on anything or increase friction.

I haven't ran many HPs through mine. But did run a full mag of Speer Gold Dots through mine with no problems. I do hope to run some other HPs through mine but it does get a bit expensive... :roll:

So I would inspect that ramp and extractor. Then really take a close look at the mags. If you know which ones are giving you problems, that should help isolate problem. If not sure mark your mags so you can identify which one is giving you issues.

[​IMG]

Look at this picture closely. Notice how the follower is a bit recessed on the left mag? It would only give a fail to feed on one of the last few rounds and only occassionly.

13. Boricua

Boricua XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I mentiones this before, check you followers. :D

14. MarcoPolo

MarcoPolo XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I completely understand. After having a problem finding TruGlo TFO's.. inability to find lots of spare mags... and now this?

It's starting to sound a lot more like a 1911 than a Glock... I think the XD is a great gun, and an engineering marvel.. but I may end up with a G21 very soon.

15. skygun9

skygun9 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I beg to differ on the limp wrist syndrome HKP2K, didn't you read the response from fynky? it's the second reply to this topic.
    The two objects (pistol & round loading) move independantly in the vertical axis when the pistol is rapidly climbing from recoil (limp wristing).
    I have seen this cause stove pipes, double feeds, nose down feeds and FTE's.

I don't know how much shooting you do, but I teach a Defensive Handgun class for a company here in San Diego and normally fire 1000-1500 rounds a month and have seen more weird stuff happen to my students and my fellow shooters from limp wristing than I can fit on this thread.

Just try to keep your mind open to new stuff, because in reality, just because you have not experienced something does not mean it cannot happen. :wink: