Factory Ammo for 30-06

Discussion in 'Bolt Guns/Precision Rifles' started by No1Vinny, Apr 9, 2012.

1. No1Vinny

No1Vinny XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So, I'm pretty new here, this is my second post but, eh?

So a few weeks ago I picked up my dream gun. A brand new Winchester Model 70 sporter, caliber 30-06.

Man do I love it. The stock is absolutly beautiful, covered in fiddleback, the checkering is clean and crisp, and the finish is flawless. The new MOA trigger is amazing. No creep, no over travel, no slack. Breaks like glass. The bolt is the smoothest I've ever felt. I like it better than the finest Sako. I stuck leupold duel dovetail scope mounts on it, but unfortunately that's all the wife would let me splurge on. So currently it's wearing a Nikon Buckmaster 4-14 instead of the Vortex Viper I want. Oh well. Save some more $ I guess.

I have some hand loads I worked up I worked up for my ol pre 64 Winchester, they shoot about a minute in my new one, but here lately, I don't know why, I've really been getting into factory ammo. Just had surgery. Maybe it's the meds. Who knows?

So I picked up some Federal Premium's with the 165 Trophy Bonded Tip bullets, and some Hornady Superformance with the 165 SST's (they go 2960 fps, no foolin!!! I chronyed it!!!) The Trophy Bonded tips shot about 2 minutes, the Hornady's about a minute. So finally, here's the question. What factory ammo do you all like? I've never had good luck with cor-lokt's, inaccurate as hell. I'd like to try some 180 Oryx's from Norma, kind of exotic, but what the hell, right? What do you guys like? Favorite hand loads count too.

2. 4.0B2

4.0B2 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i've never been into buying factory ready ammo.. idk why.
    i use 168 grain a-max and reload my own..

cor-locks are probably the worst ammo you'll ever find. i've had better luck out of m2 ball military ammo..

sounds like a beautiful gun. congrats. i love my 30-06's. its my rifle of choice.

3. XD5.25Shooter

XD5.25Shooter XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My favorite 30-06 factory load is Federal Premium with the 150 gr Sierra Game BTSP. On a bad day they shoot MOA from my stock 700 BDL. Over the years it has produced more than one .5 MOA groups. They have proven to be 100% leathal on TX whitetail but my be a little light for hunting in Utah.

4. YoopermikeXDM

YoopermikeXDM XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I used to like the winchester silvertip 150 gr's. but there no longer available unless you buy the premo box. I have switched to the $13 a boc federals from walamrt ( blue box) and have found them to be quite accurate in both my 700 bdl and my rem 74. Not to mention that $13 per box is dirt cheap! and ive shot 3 deer with them so far, all have dropped with in 50' or less with minimal meat getting "blood shot".