Springfield XD Forum banner

extra mags?

5K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  sasqwatch2 
#1 ·
Who here carries an extra mag wile ccing? And what is the preferred method of doing so?

#2 ·
If I am armed my gun is on my right hip and I have a spare mag on my left hip. I use a Stay Holstered single mag carrier for my spare mag.

#3 ·
I always carry a spare mag. I usually wear cargo pants while carrying so I just place the mag in the right cargo pocket (I'm left handed). I highly recommend everyone who carries have at least one spare mag with them, no matter what the capacity of the gun you have. First because mags are the most vulnerable part of a semi-auto and can be broken or separated from the gun. Clint Smith tells a story of how he ripped a baseplate off his mag on the steering wheel of his car, causing the spring, follower and ammo to spill out all over the place, rendering his gun into a single shot. Second, if we have malfunctions, it's often caused by a bad mag, so a mag change can solve the problem. Lastly, since we have no idea what the fight will be, how many attackers we'll have, or how many rounds it'll take to win, it's smart to take extra. If we had enough of a crystal ball to know the rounds required to win the fight, we'd have enough vision to probably avoid the fight. Too many is a bigger problem than not enough. Plus there are so many good pouches and holsters that can carry mags easily, there's no reason not to have it.

Reactions: TSiWRX
#4 ·
^ Same reasons as above.

Although force-on-force has taught me that I more than likely will either never need or will never be able to accomplish that reload, there really is just no telling how things will play out in the real world: and given that I carry that spare to mitigate against the more likely ammo or magazine-related issues, it just means that I have that much more ammo.

My EDC is a XDm9 3.8 Compact. That gives me 13 plus one in the pipe with the "flush" magazine, which helps me reach the level of concealment I desire.

Spare magazine is a 19-rounder, with the X-Tension in-place, carried in a Comp-Tac Minotaur Concealment Magazine Pouch at the 9-o'clock.

In all honesty, I think I'd be better off carrying a BUG, but the magazine is a lower-profile option that fits in better with my perceived concealment needs.

#6 ·
Always carry an extra mag. Either a 6 / 7 round if carrying the Kahr CW 380 or CW 40......
If carrying the M&P9c or the XDMc, it is the 17 or 19 round extended mag... if I can. Usually thrown in the support side pocket. Really need to find a better way to carry that. With my normal dress, it is difficult enough to carry the firearm IWB without too many problems.... putting an OWB or IWB mag carrier on the other side would be a significant challenge.

There is a company that makes a pocket carry mag carrier that looks like a folding knife clip coming out of pocket that I may try.

#7 ·
Always carry an extra mag. Either a 6 / 7 round if carrying the Kahr CW 380 or CW 40......
If carrying the M&P9c or the XDMc, it is the 17 or 19 round extended mag... if I can. Usually thrown in the support side pocket. Really need to find a better way to carry that. With my normal dress, it is difficult enough to carry the firearm IWB without too many problems.... putting an OWB or IWB mag carrier on the other side would be a significant challenge.

There is a company that makes a pocket carry mag carrier that looks like a folding knife clip coming out of pocket that I may try.
Do you know the name of that company? I'd be interested in that as well!

#8 ·
After my car wreck both my hips took a serious beating (serious right hip disloction) So I moved to aiwb to not put pressure on my hip driving, and I found just walking around it put less pressure on me, so after googling I found many LEOs due to the duty belt have had hip replacements at disproportionately large numbers.

So my spare mag came off my hip and went on a raven moduloader with a 10 speed soft mag pouch on it (then I found I had to put a knife on the moduloader to anchor it so it wouldn't come out with the mag when I grabbed the mag)

My hips feel a lot better now. G17 w/1 spare mag is 35 rounds. If I need more than that well crap.

#10 ·
After my car wreck both my hips took a serious beating (serious right hip disloction) So I moved to aiwb to not put pressure on my hip driving, and I found just walking around it put less pressure on me, so after googling I found many LEOs due to the duty belt have had hip replacements at disproportionately large numbers.
Not to put down LEOs or other weight-challenged people (I'm not exactly slim, myself :p), but was this data normalized in any way - I'm specifically thinking of BMI.... The most recent issue of Force Science specifically examined the BMI issue, with relation to LEOs.

-----

Do you know the name of that company? I'd be interested in that as well!
There's the NeoMag:

Gear Review Neomag Magazine Pocket Clips - The Truth About Guns

And also the SnagMag:

Gear Review SnagMag Concealed Carry Magazine Holster - The Truth About Guns

Also, for those who like to pocket-carry the magazine, there are items such as the DeSantis MagPacker ( MAG-PACKER Magazine Pouches Pocket Holsters DesantisHolster.com ) and what yocan wrote of, the RCS ModuLoader Pocket-Shield ( 3-Pack of ModuLoader Pocket Shields - Raven Concealment Systems ) which can help not only lower the profile of the carried magazine and mitigate "printing," but also help to index the magazine (pocket knife, whatever) inside the pocket, to insure a positive withdrawal.

#9 ·
My current EDC is a Sig P226 Tacops in a MTAC IWB holster.

Holds 20+1 and I still carry another 20 rounder on my left hip. All stoked with federal HST.

If things get too serious, then 41 rounds will hopefully get me to my rifle. I have also carried TWO extra 20 rounders on a double mag pouch from CompTac, but rolling with a total of 61 rounds depends on the nature of the environment I expose myself to. YMMV.

#12 ·
Spare mag always goes in the watch pocket of my jeans.

#14 ·
I carry a spare always. Normally it's in an appendix at a cant on my support hand side. Occasionally depending on the situation I carry it in my pocket. Like when wearing a suit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.