Expiration date for ammo

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by Frogdaddy, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Frogdaddy

Frogdaddy XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is there such a thing? Are they developing ammo that will "expire" at some point? I know nothing about guns and ammo but a guy at the local gun shop said this was being used as a method to discourage stockpiling. I suspect just like anything if you don't use it that it will degrade over time. But I guess my question is more of a deliberate nature by those in government or other entities.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  2. jfdavis58

jfdavis58 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Ammo, or rather smokeless powder does deteriorate over time, especially in unfavorable conditions. However, ammo kept clean, cool and dry may take many, many years to reach a point of unsuitability-50-70 years possibly, or longer. "Freshness Dating" is something for beer, not bullets.

3. Spawnz

Spawnz XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0
    Your normal everyday ammo that has been made for the last 50 years or so has no expiration date. Just keep it cool and dry.

I do remember reading an article about ten years ago where they were talking about using a powder that would degrade over time, like a year or so, to discourage ammo storage. I think it was a pipe dream for the gun banners. If I remember correctly, it went nowhere because they couldn't control the ability to have it degrade in a certain time frame. If it could go bad in one year, it could go bad as soon as it was loaded.

4. Tard

Tard XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    The lead-free primers are only good for a year but regular ammo stored properly is good for 100 years.

Remember, the qualifications to be a gun store clerk are as follows:

1) Human
    2) Breathing
    3) Ability to run with any anti-gun gossip (s)he hears

5. Frogdaddy

Frogdaddy XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No Tard this wasn't the owner this was a casual gun owner that approaced me. I guess it was obvious I was green and new to guns when I was looking at the XD so he piped up with his advice and we talked about gun ownership in general. As to your comment, I'm assuming not all primers are lead? The primer thing sounds more in line with what this guy was stating. I would want primers with lead if I will be storing?
    Thanks all.

6. Rampant Colt

Rampant Colt XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Who told you that??

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

How will making powder that would 'expire' after a certain amount of time affect us handloaders..?

Armorers and ammunition warehouse managers better make damn sure their inventory is properly rotated if this BS scenario ever rears its ugly head.

This idea doesn't seem plausible to me for a grocery list of reasons.

7. rayikeo2

rayikeo2 XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I really get pissed when my wife looks in the medicine cabinet and pulls out stuff that says exp date (today) then she throws it out. How the hell can medicine be good one day and expired the nest? Like an aspirin knows it will not be good tomorrow! Bullets and ammo are the same. There is no valid date a bullut will no longer exit the gun! Ammo can last over one hundred years so if you plan on living to 110 maybe you will want to buy new stuff in the last 10 years of your life.

8. Tard

Tard XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    My information about the lead-free primers is now apparently out of date.
    When they were new in 2000, they had a very short shelf life of 1 year.

By 2005 the shelf life was 5 years.

Now some manufacturers are advertising 25 years shelf life based on accelerated lab testing.
    That means maybe it's true and maybe it's not, but apparently the poor shelf life of lead and heavy metal free primers is significantly improved from the original designs. The issue of course is moisture absorption and internal oxidation.

You'll KNOW if you are buying ammo or components that are lead-free because they are more costly. The old style non-corrosive have a virtually unlimited shelf life if you don't get them wet.

9. jtprevatte

jtprevatte Official Site Vendor Supporting Vendor

Ratings:
    +9 / 0

Always take what you hear with a grain of salt. Bad news or "get you excited news" is the exact reason why newspapers sell daily. My ammo won't expire....I reload. Also by reloading...the "powers to be" will not know just how many rounds I actually have....LOL :D

10. cypress

cypress XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    All I know is I've been shooting Bulgarian ammo that's older than me out of my Mosin and I'm 50 years old. So I wouldn't get too excited about it.