Easy to rack semi-autos

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by wombat13, May 24, 2010.

1. wombat13

wombat13 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    I'm looking for information on semi-auto handguns in acceptable defense calibers (.380 acp and larger) that are relatively easy to rack the slide.

I'm going to take my wife shopping for a handgun (or should I say "ask her if she would like to accompany me"). The problem is, she hates shopping for anything. Unlike many women, she wants to go into the store, take care of business and get out as quickly as possible. So I'd like to make a list of good candidates and call ahead to make sure the store has a number of good candidates on hand for her to try.

She can rack the slide on her Hi-Standard .22lr easily (of course) and was able to rack the slide on an instructor's Glock 9mm (not sure which one). She can't rack the slide on my XD45 or my father's Walther PPK/S.

P.S. Thanks to all who posted in my related thread. Good advice to let her pick her own gun, hence this thread.

2. xdmp22

xdmp22 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    She's just going to have to try them, have her look at the glocks, and the XD's, the .45's are harder to rack, I think the 9sc is very easy. Try a Ruger LCP and a Taurus TCP, Keltec PF9 or P3AT. If available, I like the Walther PK380 Lthis is basically a P22 only chambered in 380, not as harsh as the PPK/S

3. Kaboom

Kaboom XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0
    Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact 45ACP
    HK USP in 40S&W
    I own both of these guns and they are VERY easy to rack right out of the box.

4. Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 10K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    The instructor's Glock was more than likely a 17 or 19. You won't go wrong with either if she likes them. I've found them both very easy to work.

I will also agree that the USP's action is easy to work; may be the dual-spring design...

Most .380's will be hard to rack; they tend to have very stiff recoil springs due to design (blowback action/teeny-weenie slide).

I would recommend having her try this alternate way of racking the slide, though...instead of pulling back on the slide, have here use her "weak" hand to simply hold the slide in place while she uses here strong hand to thrust forward on the grip. She may find it works better for her.

5. wombat13

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    I encouraged her to try that on my father's Walther PPK/S and her hand got pinched in the area of the ejection port. It was very painful and I think it has made her more reluctant to shoot anything but her .22lr target pistol.

6. Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    Sounds like she didn't have her hand placed correctly, or it slipped...which is easy to do with the heavy recoil spring and small slide on a pistol of that size....

Explain that it's easier on a full-sized pistol.

7. jreXD9

jreXD9 XDTalk 100 Member

P'tree City....but Pine Mtn will always be home.
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't own one but the easiest to rack that I've ever picked up was a Colt Agent .45.

8. Dal1as

Dal1as XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm dealing with the same issue (wife actually broke a nail racking my xd45 tactical) and am looking at the SW mp9. She can rack the slide of my 45 but hates it now due to the nail thing. :lol:

the mp9 with the adjustable backgrips and easy slide seems perfect for her. Now to get her there to check it out.

9. nvader

nvader XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know you said semi-auto but is a revolver out of the question? The new Ruger LCR is an awesome light weight alternative or the SP101, lady smith, etc... Most compact autos use the double spring recoil rod and will be stiff and will take practice.

My wife wanted to carry a Glock 27 so she bought a grip exerciser, worked out and practiced with until she was comfortable running the slide of her chosen pistol. Until then she carried a SP101 357mag.

10. southern thunder

southern thunder XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    how about a G26?

11. nvader

nvader XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I forgot to add...out of our pistols the Walther P99 .40 is easiest to manipulate the slide on being a single spring guide rod. It is just minimally larger than the G26/27. I rotate the P99 with my G30 carried IWB so it is pretty small. 9mm might even be easier, not sure if it uses a lighter spring than the .40cal we have.

12. wombat13

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    The primary reason I was thinking semi rather than revolver is that many snub-nose revolvers have heavy double action trigger pulls. My wife could barely pull the trigger in double action on her father's S&W .38.

The second reason for focusing on semi-autos is the micro-stamping bill in the NY legislature. If it becomes law I believe many manufacturers will no longer sell in NY and grandfathered guns will be very expensive. It would be nice to get her a semi-auto before then.

Of course, if we went to the LGS and she found a revolver that she really liked, that would be just fine.

13. wombat13

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Okay, so far we have the following suggestions:

Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact
    Colt Agent
    Glock 17, 19, or 26
    H&K USP (two votes)
    Ruger LCP
    S&W M&P
    Walther PK380 and P99

Thanks for the replies.

14. xdmp22

xdmp22 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    i did mention the XD9sc as well, would be worth a look, as it wont be much different than the glocks IMHO

as we have seen discussed so many times, the only real difference between glock and XD (when shooting and handling) is the grip angle, one may be better for her than the other, they are both reliable and durable units

plus since you have an XD it would be more natural for you if you shoot it

15. beardogv1

beardogv1 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I told you about Glocks in your last thread and think that they would suit you well.

But,
    If your wife has slide racking issues I thought of a different gun you may want to consider. It is a Beretta .380 model 86. It does not need to be racked at all as it has a tip up barrel. Its may suit her well ???
    Beretta Web - model 86
    They also make a smaller .32 cal tomcat pistol with a tip up barrel.

Also, you could check out the Beretta 92. Of all my semi's it is the easiest to rack and feels like it is on roller bearings. Some will tell you it is too large in the grip, but my small wife can use mine just fine, It is her go to home defense gun. I put laser grips on it and keep a 20 rd mag of Rangers in it for her. I would take a look at any Berettas that are in the store They are very high quality firearms and are very well known for their reliability.

16. Kaboom

Kaboom XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0
    +1 on the buttery feel of the 92FS.
    Berettas may be known for reliability but not for thier warranty.

17. Liet-Kynes

Liet-Kynes XDTalk 100 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just went through the whole "wife" gun thing and we settled on the Walther PPS. It's probably my favorite firearm next to my XDSC. I just got it a week ago so I haven't had any time to post pic's (I will soon). But the reasons we liked it were:

One, she could pull back the slide. Something she couldn't do with larger guns.

Two, It has a 6 pound trigger pull. The 12 pound on the 642 revolver was too much.

Three, its a 9mm (it also comes in .40). Personally I trust a 9mm much more than I do a .38 or .380.

Four, it holds 8 rounds. Three more than the 642 (the 642 was our runner up and the reason for the comparisons)

Five it's slim. so if you're wife likes to wear tighter jeans like mine does. It will fit into her waist band.

Oh and reason number 6, this thing proved to be incredibly accurate. Check out the pics.

[​IMG]
    25 rounds at 7 yards

[​IMG] Next to the XD.

Attached Files:

18. wombat13

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Thanks for all of the replies. Will definitely add the PPS to the list and the XD9sc of course. We'll take a look at the 92fs, but I'm not a big fan of manual safeties. I know that she will not train enough to commit disengaging the safety to muscle memory.

With that in mind, it looks like the following pistols that have been mentioned have passive safeties only:

Glock, PPS, XD9sc

19. Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    You could go with a 92D (DAO) or 92G(decocker only, no safety)...but you're still going to have a long, heavy DA trigger pull for your first shot. A bit lighter, but not much more so than a revolver.

Question--did she shoot the Glock, did it work for her, and did she like it?

20. Kaboom

Kaboom XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0
    If you change out the stock hammer spring for a "D" spring, the 92 trigger becomes awesome in SA and DA.