EAA Saiga .308, EAA Zastava Sporter, or Hungarian AMD 65

Discussion in 'AK-47 Talk' started by AKC, Oct 31, 2011.

1. AKC

AKC XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    I found a used .308 Saiga and the importer is EAA. First one I've seen. Areas of concern are the tac welded on muzzle brake and the craptasticle Tapco Side folding stock. Which I know can be fixed. And it's a .308. I like the round but it is more expensive to shoot. $550.00

Next is a EAA Zastava Sporter. $350.00. Nice fit and finish. Also the first one I've seen. I'd want to convert it.

Or wait for this gun store to get in some more Hungarian AMD 65s for $430.

Or this same gun store has Saiga Sporters for $300. They also do conversions. They told me around $600 out the door to get it to a standard AK. Or of course I could eventually attempt it myself.

:confused:

2. blefferd

blefferd XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Nice choices about spot on prices for all of them. $300 for a Saiga Sporter is a steal, its not that it really matters but some of the Saiga Sporters do not have dimples so you might want to check that out, if they are important to you.

Conversion is pretty cheap and easy to do, you can take it as far as you like depending on how deep your wallet is, and how many tools you have. A basic one should not run more than 150$ If you tear into the front end expect to pay a bit more.

I would vote for the Saiga in what ever caliber you want, do some research and convert it your self, its a good learning process for basic AK skills.

You might want to look out for the Zastava, I think not 100% sure that they have a slant cut on the rear recevier which would limit your conversion options.

I dont like AMD 65's never shoot one but they look uncomfortable to shoot, nothing wrong with them just personal prefernce.

Ive seen some pretty sweet converted Saiga .308's and look like they could be made into one hell of a battle rifle.

Good luck with your choice and post pictures when you get your rifle!

3. CGP

CGP XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would say Saiga and do the conversion. Only saying because that's what I'm doing on the two I bought. The Zastava pap from what I read is difficult if not impossible to convert to standard AK. The mag well is too small to fit double stack mags. I also found out that the bullet stripper on the bolt is narrower than standard AK bolts and will only work with single stack mags.

4. Stogies

Stogies XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Since I have literally just ordered me a AMD 65 I guess I am somewhat biased on this question ... :)

5. AKC

AKC XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Thanks for the replies.

At his point I'm leaning toward the AMD 65 but have not completely mad up my mind yet. From the research I've done it's a damn good AK for the money compared to a WASR.

I was also wrong on the SAIGA price. They want $399. Which seems a little steep for a sporter SAIGA.

6. GreySmoke

GreySmoke XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  7. AKC

AKC XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    ^^^^ Ordering the converted Saiga. Thanks!!

8. Stogies

Stogies XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    It is about the best price I have seen in a long time for sure...