Drug Dealing Grandma Busted.

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by OKcherokee, Apr 10, 2012.

1. OKcherokee

OKcherokee XDTalk 20K Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    73 year old woman arrested for drug trafficing.

CRAIG COUNTY, Oklahoma -

A 73-year-old Craig County woman was arrested Monday after sheriff's deputies searched her home and found marijuana and $278,000 in cash.
    A four-month investigation led investigators to what they say is the biggest player in the Grand Lake area drug trade.
    "We feel like this is a really big operation," said Sheriff Jimmie Sooter.
    The money was seized along with four pounds of marijuana from a house and vehicle four miles east of Vinita off Highway 60.
    The amount of confiscated cash is staggering. The suspect is surprising: Darlene Mayes, a 73-year-old grandmother.
    "It was just like shock. I can't believe this. This is a lady my grandmother's age, and I could never in a million years picture my own grandmother doing this," said Bobby Floyd, Vinita Police Chief.
    Investigators say older folks are becoming more active in drug trafficking. They don't raise as much suspicion and more are turning to drugs as a way to make extra money in their golden years.
    "Don't put an age limit on the investigation, because anything can happen," Floyd said.
    In this case, it goes well beyond supplementing retirement. That's clear by all the cash.
    "It's hard to imagine anyone having that much cash just laying around the house," Sooter said.
    Investigators say the 73-year-old grandmother is likely responsible for 40 percent of the marijuana trade in the Grand Lake area, which has gotten worse in the last couple of years.
    "She was one of the tops of the totem pole in this area for northeastern Oklahoma," said Vinita Police Chief Bobby Floyd. "I think she was a big factor in the drug trade."
    Darlene Mayes is being held in the Craig County jail on several drug complaints and will likely be charged with drug trafficking.
    The seized money will be shared by the agencies that make up the Craig County drug task force. It should be available in 90 days.

TLDR: 73 year old woman in Oklahoma arrested with four pounds of pot, and just under $280k in cash.

2. Vhyrus

Vhyrus XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You think with all that cash she could have bought some better lookouts....

3. OKcherokee

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Yeah, no doubt.

4. Medic738

Medic738 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Damn my grandma always has loads of cash. I might ought to look into that.

5. CrAz3D

CrAz3D XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Nice. I bet her grandkids got awesome birthday presents.

6. Bigcarlover

Bigcarlover XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  7. n3tfury

n3tfury XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Meh. Legalize that ****.

"War on drugs", lol.

8. Mike Russell

Mike Russell XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If they really wanted to do a war on drugs, there would be a requirement to have a clean monthly piss test to get a welfare check.

9. Black69ta

Black69ta XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Missouri passed a law to do just that, But my question is, with 280k'ish do you really think she was on or needed welfare?

Last time I checked being broke and unemployed isn't a crime, so why treat them like criminals?

I know that fraud is bad and I agree that laws should be tougher on those who commit food stamp and TANF fraud; however, how are the extra millions spent to conduct these tests and also recipients are required to job hunt (for a long time) and/or show school attendance weekly for people that are trying to better their situation.

America was founded on the idea that people should not be persecuted for economic position, yet here we are back to English practices.

10. n3tfury

n3tfury XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm all for that.

11. Mike Russell

Mike Russell XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You should move to Louisiana (or just visit) and see the "poor people" trying to "better themselves." 6-8 kids, driving a Denali on 26in rims, collecting a check.

If having to do a piss test makes one being treated like a criminal, then what about all of us that have to do so to maintain a job?

You cut off the users, demand drops, prices drop, people get out of the "game."

12. OKcherokee

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    I feel pot should be legal, then things like this wouldn't happen. It would cut down on many other crimes as well.

13. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Official Site Vendor Supporting Vendor Founding Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    The only problem with that is people would just lay off drugs before they go get the check. they may even be able to send someone to take the test in their place. I know some drugs can stay in your system for a while. But, a person can buy testing kits otc and make sure they're clean. To really work, there needs to be a "random" and "unannounced" test.

The unfortunate thing is, no matter what the gubberment can come up with, people will ALWAYS find ways around it. Over the past 40yrs I've come to think the gooberment doesn't need to be in the "welfare" biz'ness PERIOD!

I'm in my early 50's and I would LOVE to see SS & welfare done away with completely. I am not rich; nor, am I getting any pension. I've even been disabled for 10yrs. But, I am willing to work the rest of my life if need be; "IF" I can find a job that will hire a disabled man in his 50's.

(BUT, the gooberheads passed the some idiotic disability act that makes employers reluctant to hire people like me!) :evil:

So, now I'm trying to start a home based business where I can take care of myself & my family.

It's been said many times; "If we are to get out of this SNAFU, we need to "CUT" all entitlement programs. (It's the only way back to FREEDOM!)

-

14. CrAz3D

CrAz3D XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    I know this is OT, but how so? If anything, the ADA has made is so that people can't discriminate based on disabilities (actually...not "if anything" but "that's the law")

15. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Official Site Vendor Supporting Vendor Founding Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Not True-

The ADA has made it almost impossible to start a small business because a business owner has to make changes & expensive modifications to their business to accommodate people that don't even work for them.

In addition do that, the ADA makes it almost impossible to terminate a disabled person based on job performance. It also states that a states that small business must have disabled workers in it's workforce.

My wife & I were watching Stossel the other day and saw a story based on this topic. My wife lol and said; if they inspected the various federal government offices across the country they would find more violations of the ADA than they do in the private sector. (She's worked for the FG over 25yrs.)

IMHO;
    The ADA is nothing more than another "quota" program that will open the doors to fines & penalties to ANY business they choose to sue. It is also ANOTHER case of the FG saying do as I say and NOT as I do because we are exempt from our own laws.

-