Doublestar AR 15 what do you think?

Discussion in 'AR Talk' started by PapaBear, Nov 25, 2009.

1. PapaBear

PapaBear XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've been considering building/buying an AR for a while now, and I keep getting the offer from Buds guns on these:

Doublestar Star 15 CAR 16" HBAR .223 for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $649.00

I've done a lot of looking/research on my own, frequented the AR forums, and have found generally good reviews.

My question is, do any of you have these or other Doublestar products, and how happy are you with their products? Is the workmanship/craftsmanship good? Would you buy their product again?

My purpose for this gun is general varmint killing/home defense/potential SHTF defense/occasional plinking. If I were a more frequent shooter I'd go after a Colt or S&W. Realistically though, I'd only shoot this a couple times a year though.

The model listed here is a .223 cal. Would you guys recommend getting this in the .223, or go for the 5.56?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

2. Shay_Ellafrits

Shay_Ellafrits XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    This may be me, but its a negatory ghost rider. Id go with delton, cuz thats what I have.

3. ryr8828

ryr8828 XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0
    I wouldn't buy it if it only shoots .223 remington, but I see nothing else wrong with the rifle. The reviews on bud's are great.

4. ryr8828

ryr8828 XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0
    In that case he should buy a rock river or a bushy cause that's what I have.

While he's at it he should also get a Chevy Silverado and some Callaway X20 tour irons.

5. LtDan

LtDan XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think doublestar is an alright brand. For your purposes I'd go for it. Or consider a bargain bin rifle from CMMG. Also, there are better brand AR's for sale for $100 more. Additionally, you need to consider that you still need to put a sight on this weapon. Flip up sights run from Magpuls at$35 to Troys that will run $110. My suggestion is to be patient, frequent ee.ar15.com, find one you like, then buy it. Two things that people consider important (1x7 twist and chrome-lined barrel), the doublestar doesn't have. Just some food for thought. Personally I think that for $100 more, you can move way up in quality.

6. thejoe

thejoe XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have all double-star components on my AR build with a Stag lower. So far, so good, for my purposes (occasional plinking and a fallback rifle when the world ends ;) - jk). One note I have is that the stock extension is not mil-spec - it's commercial diameter. I, for whatever reason, don't like that. I didn't know about mil-spec vs. commercial buffer tubes when I bought it. At any rate, the thing has run FLAWLESSLY for me over several hundred rounds (I even took 5th place in a 100 yd. rifle competition with it). I haven't had the $$ to get into high round counts yet, but I will. It is by far my favorite weapon and is my go-to-gun. I highly recommend this as a starter AR. But, once you feed the urge, it'll only get worse.

joe

7. Mercmar

Mercmar XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    What's the barrel twist? Do we know for sure that the chamber isn't 5.56? Some folks use .223 and 5.56 interchangeably. Even though several of my ARs have 5.56 chambers, all I ever shoot are my reloads, which, surprisingly, are made with .223 dies. I've never even seen any 5.56 dies advertised.

I'd worry more about the quality of the barrel and the trigger group than some of the other parts. However, sounds like a pretty good deal on a good rifle.

8. PapaBear

PapaBear XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For those who do not think this is a good AR to purchase, please link to what you have, or suggest I would greatly appreciate that. I am willing to consider paying more. Just with being such an infrequently used gun, I'm not wanting to go overboard on the spending.

One of the things I was considering was getting a 20" barrel (or slightly longer). As I may be shooting coyote at 150-200 yards.

9. Caramel45c

Caramel45c XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  10. Shay_Ellafrits

Shay_Ellafrits XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I guess, I shouldnt have said it like that. Im really happy with my Del-Ton. I was suggesting it. Sorry for coming across like that. :shock::oops:

11. theg33k

theg33k XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My brother-in-law is a KY state trooper. (KY is where the DS factory is) He tells me that DS is a supplier of parts for Colt. That may or may not influence your purchase but everything I've heard about them suggests that it's one of the better "bang for your buck" manufacturers.

12. mvician

mvician XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +62 / 0

I'm sorry but.........

[​IMG]

13. Mercmar

Mercmar XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    My former brother-in-law is a worthless drug addict. He confirms that D.S. supplies parts to Colt. :cool:

14. Mercmar

Mercmar XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Here's a link to a RRA flattop carbine with chrome-lined barrel and RRA NM trigger for $849. Not that much above the OP's budget.
    Adco Firearms Item Details

15. LateralusMan

LateralusMan XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Doublestar is a very respectable company, I would definitely trust their rifles.