Do your mags rattle in the magwell?

Discussion in 'XD-45ACP Discussion Room' started by tyjax, May 18, 2009.

1. May 20, 2009 #11
    zmmnm3

zmmnm3 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    my 45 13 rounders rattle but my 16 RD 9mm don't. I think it is a function of the diameter of the rounds and how they stack in the magazines.

If anyone has a cure that would be great. With that said you would really have to jump around with the gun or mags on your belt to make them rattle so it may be a moot point.

2. May 21, 2009 #12
    tyjax

tyjax XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's funny how everybody thinks that it's the rounds rattling in the magazine. I just got an email from Springfield telling me to remove rounds and put them back in and see if it goes away. It's the magazine, not the rounds that rattle in the magwell. I'm trying a fix now that so far is working great. I will report on it later after I put some rounds through it and do some mag changes. Nice and quiet now.

3. May 21, 2009 #13
    LuzRD

LuzRD XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    rounds DO rattle in the mag. being a known "issue" its what youll likely hear the most.

that being said, my mag does wobble in the magwell a little, but i didnt notice it until i read this thread. curious to hear your rattle fix, hope it worked for you

4. Sep 4, 2009 #14
    tyjax

tyjax XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, it's been about 4 months now and my mag wobble (rattle) is fixed. I'm not saying this is the perfect fix, but it's working for me. I bought some of those little velcro patches you get from Wallyworld. The little round ones. I took one of the loop (soft) side ones and stuck it to my mag towards the bottom. It completely cured the rattle and doesn't hang up in the pistol. I've done dozens of mag changes and it hasen't moved at all and the mag falls out every time.:mrgreen:

5. Sep 4, 2009 #15
    Humorris

Humorris XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Good to hear! I have rattle in my xdm9 but i know its the rounds. You can tilt mine and hear them slide back and forth.

6. Sep 8, 2009 #16
    firestingwisher

firestingwisher XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

That is ingenious. Non abrasive, non snagging. Very good idea!

7. Sep 10, 2009 #17
    MikeXD

MikeXD XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Going to give this a try tonight, too.

I've noticed the same mag rattle, and it's not the rounds, it's the side-to-side movement. I've got a 45ACP Tactical... I'm going to pick up some velcro tabs and give that a try.

Thanks for the great idea!

-Mike

8. Sep 10, 2009 #18
    1EYEJACK

1EYEJACK XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If your XD magazine rattles, you're probably not getting a proper grip on the pistol. Grip it correctly and the magazine will stop rattling and you won't limp wrist.

Limp-wrists are for limp wrists. I can make my 1911 and even my S&W .41 Mag, N-frame or my Walther PPK/S, even this laptop rattle. Get a grip!

One Eye Jack

9. Sep 10, 2009 #19
    real_m3

real_m3 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I checked my magazines fully loaded and there is a small amount of clearance that will cause a slight "rattle" but nothing that causes a problem. I would highly recommend that you not place anything in the mag well to tighten this clearance. S**t happens at the worst time and I'd hate to have a mag fail to drop during a critical reload because it was obstructed by something that I had done to the gun. The XD magazines are designed to drop free for a quick combat reload. If they are tight in the well then they might not drop free under all conditions. The extra clearance is to compensate for abnormal conditions such as dropping your weapon in the mud or dirt. The extra clearance will compensate for the potential restriction caused by dirt/mud that might be in the mag well. If you have velcro or some other material it's possible that if debris or even moisture got between the material and the mag, you might have a failure to drop. If you DON'T use your XD for protection or self defense then do what ever you want but if you rely on your weapon for any reason other than this don't do anything that has the potential to render your weapon inoperable under any condition. JMHO.

10. Sep 10, 2009 #20
    ryr8828

ryr8828 XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    My XD.45 service has the side to side mag wobble.

I don't recall him saying that it was bothering him while he shot it. I don't think you have any idea what you are talking about, kind of like the people who kept insisting that it was the rounds in the mag that were rattling.