Do you know why your coworkers dont like you?

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by Boostedxt, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Boostedxt

Boostedxt XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  2. kenneth

kenneth XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    My coworkers don't really like me because I got promoted at 20 with 2 years in. I have held my spot for 6 years now.

3. iDominate

iDominate XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    must have been a totally unbiased review. hahaa!!!

4. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sounds like my boss. Except it was, "Do you know why your superiors don't like you ...?" Because I don't have superiors? :lol:

5. rufireproof

rufireproof XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I feel you. May be time to look elsewhere. If a boss is talking to you like that, he is hoping you quit so he won't have to pay unemployment. A really evil employee might take advantage of that situation... In a group of friends I went to college with, there was a guy who worked at a fast food joint. He overheard his boss say "We don't fire people, they quit." Another guy in the group took a weeks vacation at his job in order to test that statement. He actually got away with quite a bit, but it was the 200 plus cheeseburgers he made on slow Wednesday afternoon (when they they normally had around 10-20 customers) that got him canned.

Seriously, have an employment backup plan. 1-2 years from now, you won't be working there, by your choice or his. Plan ahead. Don't make unnecessary purchases, and start squirreling money away. I've worked management for several years. I'm not saying he's justified, I'm saying that's what he thinks. My 2 cents

6. Haywood

Haywood XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is also a common ploy that managers will play in order to force you to do even better.

Good managers use this technique tacitly.

./Devils Advocate

Bad managers use it because they're bad managers and either just don't know or don't care...

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  7. sourpatch45

sourpatch45 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    employers pay unemployment whether their ex-employees use it or not. They do not pay more when someone uses it

8. CdnInAz

CdnInAz XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    some of my coworkers don't like me because I'm ex-military; which makes me honorable, trustworthy, willing to do whatever it takes whenever it is needed to get s4it done, and I am dead honest sometimes to a fault because I say what I get paid to think.

but heck - all that got me promoted, got me relocated with my family to a great Country, to live in an amazing State surrounded by incredible areas. So I still say pizz on some morons at work who don't like me.

Advise for OP - listen to the feedback, decide if you are willing and able to change. If yes, do it. If not, them maybe it is time to move on. JMHO

9. 1lowlife

1lowlife XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +84 / 0
    Several of my coworkers don't really care for me, I know, hard to believe, huh..;)

The deal is, I go to work, do my run (drive a semi), and go home.
    I don't get caught up in the drama of everyone's business and yard gossip like many of them do.
    To them, that makes me anti-social.
    To me, it means minding my own business, and I'd like for them to so the same.
    I really don't care how they feel about me, I get paid either way..
    As far as supervisors, they pretty much leave me alone....:mrgreen:

10. obieone

obieone XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My new mgt. team is trying to starve me out. I only worked 10 hours last weeek, and averaged about 20 hours all last summer, during one of the hottest summers on record in SC.
    That's pretty messed up for a guy who works in the HVAC industry:mad:

I know what there upto, but I won't quit until I have something significant lined up. I also want to take some training seminars, and I don't want to do that on my dime.:rolleyes:

11. JustRick

JustRick XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't know if it has changed or not, but it used to be that employers paid unemployment tax based on their history of ex-employees collecting it. When IBM did their big buyout plan in the early 90s in Endicott NY, the state told them it was not a buyout but a layoff and then made them pay the bill for it. Up until then IBM had very low unemployment payments, not after.

12. NewBlackDak

NewBlackDak XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have been told by several employers that I need to "temper" my responses to other employees. I was raised in a house where you give a direct answer, and had no reason to beat around the bush. Is it tact, or wasting time that I could use working? I would rather be working than skating the feeling of some overly sensitive coworker.

13. maizera

maizera XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I don't know what your particular situation is, but I have been in similar shoes. My question is this, "is this your bosses words, or from someone else above him"? I had stuff brought up in my reviews that were like "WTF"? They were not from my boss, but from another manager that was above him. I knew who the culprit was, but couldn't do anything about it. However I did write in one of my reviews, that if I did something wrong and it wasn't brought to my attention when it happened, it could not be a negative comment in my review. I was getting burnt for stuff that happened 3, 6, or even 9 months ago, that other people could do, but I could not. After I wrote that and had that discussion, I never got burnt again. My boss knew I was ticked and was done with the BS.

I am not saying that will solve your problem, but if you like your job find ways to CYA. Sometimes the smallest detail can protect you. I had to find anything I could to protect myself.

The moral of my story is that after 6 years of dealing with crap in one way or another, I finally got promoted and then the senior manager got transferred and eventually left the company. Now life is much better, much much better. I know my case is the exception to the rule, but there is always hope that it might change.

Good Luck!

14. maizera

maizera XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I work with someone from South America and have grown to appreciate his direct comments. I know exactly where he stands on topics and I know exactly what kind of job I am doing. I have told my boss on more than one occasion to stop "sugar coating" and tell me exactly what is going on. He doesn't like it when I do that, but the guy from SA is his boss and he knows what I am getting at. Trying to peel back the coating gets old and wastes time.

15. warmachine

warmachine XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Pretty much the same story here. I got promoted at 22 with 9 months in Now 3 years in and everybody seems ok now. They still have their issues but Im the youngest person in the plant by 3 years. I guess its hard to take "orders" from a guy half your age. *shrugs*