Do pulled bullets effect accracy?

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by bullets1st, Mar 24, 2008.

1. bullets1st

bullets1st XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just relaoded about 20 rounds of 30-06. I loaded them with 49 grs of IMR 4895. All my other rounds are loaded with 48grs. I wanted to pull the bullets and take the powder down to 48grs so they are all the same. Does the pulled bullets effect accracy at all? Should I even worrie about the extra 1 gr. They are loaded with nosler BTs.

2. fredj338

fredj338 XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Pulled bullets are never going to give you the same accuracy as non pulled, especially if they were crimped. Still, for blasting ammo, I have & will use them again.

3. zac07

zac07 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    how are you going to pull them ? If you use a inertia puller it wont leave any marks and the accuracy will probably be affected very little. The collet style pullers will usually leave marks on the bullet and affect the accuracy a little more. But either way I would still use them.

4. bullets1st

bullets1st XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just tried the collet puller and it jacket up the bullets and the die is stuck in the press....damn, but initially i was gonna use the inertia puller due to the only minor marks on the bullet.

Does 1 gr. of powder really make a big diffrence though?

5. rogerxd45

rogerxd45 XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    well it could make a BIG difference but that depends on if your at max or not. if within safe limits i would just shoot them unstead of going through all that crap. do you have a chronograph? probably not since if you did you would know if it would make a big difference.

what are these bullets for? if just for plinking then no worries but if for hunting i would use all 48 or use all 49 unless you test them and sind out how the POI changes.

what distances do you plan on shooting these? if its 100 yards i dont think the difference is going to be much. but if its 500+ then the difference is going to show most likely. but haveing not loaded many rifle rounds yet (all ive done is short range with my ar with reloads) i dont know what kind of velocity difference your going to get

so either test to see the change in POI or find out the FPS and run in a ballistic program to see the difference

6. bullets1st

bullets1st XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    yeah, no chronograph here. Think im just gonna use them as high quality plinking ammo :). itll give me a reason to by more bullets and reload more for the rifle. Thanks for all the info tho.

7. Doc Holiday13

Doc Holiday13 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That is really up to your gun and what weight bullet you are using. I just looked at my reload manual and IMR 4895 loaded at 48 grains is the max load for a 165 grain bullet.

As for pressure it depends on the age and quality of your rifle. A friend of mine shoots lots of bullets that are loaded beyond published data and doesn't see any dangerous pressure signs on his shot cases and on the computer readout program he uses when he tests new loads.

Is the load compressed? How close is the bullet to the lands? Lots of variables. If you've shot lots of 30'06 at 48 grains and there is no danger sign then I would venture to say that yes will be fine.

To test if the bullets are fine. Load two rounds with 48.5 grains and fire those and inspect them before you shoot the bullets loaded with 49 grains. If the 48.5's come out without any danger signs then you should be fine with 49 grains.

I am not giving you license to throw discretion in the wind though

8. bullets1st

bullets1st XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    "I just looked at my reload manual and IMR 4895 loaded at 48 grains is the max load for a 165 grain bullet."

The data I have says that 52 grains is the max. Odd. Well...I think now Im just gonna pull the bullets and drop the grains down by 1 to be on the safe side. Ive used 165grs before charged with 48 grains of 4895 and they worked out fine and if I remeber correctly thats what the gun is sighted in for right now anyways.

9. Doc Holiday13

Doc Holiday13 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

reload manuals are all different.

I have three different ones and they read 48, 49 and 47.5 for the max so its whatever, its published data