DIY big dot sights installation

Discussion in 'General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk' started by 45calibre, Feb 9, 2010.

1. 45calibre

45calibre XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is it as simple as punching out the old ones then centering the new ones within the markings on the slide then applying lock tite and letting it dry
    ? any tips?

2. XD357sig

XD357sig XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The thing that changes this from simple to almost impossible is the tightness of the XD sights. I had to buy a sight pusher to get the original sights out of the slide. Some sight pushers won't even do the job. The best deal I found was the Model and Tool sight pusher - matt@modelandtool.com. It the least expensive I found and works on 99% of pistols. The big dot sights are as easy to put in as it gets. All this is well worth the effort and trouble, IMO.

3. genXer

genXer XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Maybe my current little dilemma may put it in perspective for ya. I recently ordered a set of TFO's for my XD and they finally came in, figured I would have one of the local shops put them on instead of sending the slide to Gilberts where I bought the sights from. Yeah after a trip to each of the 2 local shops, neither will even consider putting the sights on due to the fact that XD's are notorious for being a PITA with sights. So now I'm sending the sights and my slide back to Gilberts for the install, apparently what I should have done in the first place. Lesson learned on my part and when I order sights for my other XD I'm just going to send the slide in right from the get go.

4. 45calibre

45calibre XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What's the easiest way to get the old ones off without that expensive press? What direction should I take them off? SA charges $105 for XS sights installed but how much would shipping be?

5. Sidewayz

Sidewayz XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    On any XD you need the press in order to get the sights off without damaging your slide. Either sending your slide off to get the sights installed OR buying a press and doing it yourself is cheaper than a new slide. 9 times out of 10 banging on it with a punch and hammer will only break and gouge things. Some people cut the stock sights off with a Dremel...but you better have a steady hand.

6. GAP

GAP XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I simply banged mine out with a steel punch and a vice. The rear sight was easy to get out. The front was a struggle. Putting my big dots in was easy. The big dot rear sight is fall out loose. But the provided locktite and set screws make it 100% secure it. The big dot front took some filing like the instructions state. It took like an hour. It was no big deal. Even with the steel punch, I did no damage, cosmetic or otherwise, to the slide.

7. liljon140

liljon140 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I put metprolite sights on my xd45 and like others have said getting the old ones out are a PITA. I knocked mine out with a brass punch and a 2lb mallet. I did scratch the front just a bit due to breaking the front site but who cares its my carry pistol and it is going to get a little banged up. I am never selling it so I dont mind. And a small scratch is worth saving a few bucks on a tool to use once. Good luck with which ever way you choose.

8. speedjunkie

speedjunkie XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Used a punch that a buddy ground down to fit the slide better. No scratches, but as has already been stated, the factory sites are REALLY tight! TFO's went right in. Good luck!

Mike

9. LIQUID FAST 1300

LIQUID FAST 1300 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I HAD A GUNSMITH MESS UP A SET OF TFOs SO I BOUGHT THE TOOL TO DO MY OWN. IT IS EASY AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A BORE SIGHTER

10. Ag86

Ag86 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I went with the XS sights on my XD9SC and first checked with SA for price + install. Here is what I received back on January 28, 2010:

[FONT=&quot]No, we do not stock the XS sights for the XD handguns. You can ship the sights with your pistol for installation. Cost to install customer supplied sights on an XD which do not require any milling of the slide for installation would be $65. Estimated turnaround time for installation of customer supplied sights would be approx. 2-3 weeks from receipt of the pistol in our shop for the work. Return shipping and handling charges are not included in this price. Return ground shipping and handling for the slide only is $8.95; with $30 return shipping charges for the complete pistol.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Deb[/FONT]
    Custom Shop Coordinator
    Springfield Custom
    420 West Main St.
    Geneseo, IL 61254
    800-617-6751
    customshop@springfield-armory.com

Overall, that made it $120 + $65 not including tax and shipping costs. I had XS install the sights for $40 with no return shipping fee and it took 3 days (but I do live in Dallas so I'm ~30 miles from XS). They quoted 5 business days to install.

I went to the range last Thursday right after Fedex delivered and really like the sights on my SC.

11. Mike J

Mike J XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have not used the big dot sights-I put meprolights on mine but my experience was that installing the aftermarket sights was a breeze.
    Getting the factory sights off was very difficult. I beat the rear sight out with a brass punch & 2 1/2 pound hammer. The front sight would not budge I was nervous about trying to cut it out with a cut off wheel so I started the cut with a cut off wheel & cut a little at a time the rest of the way through with a hack saw being careful not to cut too deep. If there is someone else you can get to do it for you reasonably I would.

12. EHS

EHS XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When you talked to SA did you specify big dots or the regular size. I tried to have SA install big dots on my sc 40 and here is the response I got.

The reason we do not recommend the XS Big Dot sights on the subcompact model is because they do not have a variety of heights of sights available for the XD. And sometimes the short barreled pistols require a different height of sight to achieve the correct POI/POA.

Deb

Custom Shop Coordinator
    Springfield Custom
    420 West Main St.
    Geneseo, IL 61254
    800-617-6751
    customshop@springfield-armory.com

When I asked xs here is their response.

This seems to be a communication breakdown us and Springfield.

Many sight companies make their sight corrections by having different height front sights, but since our front sights by their design are bigger AND we don't want our customers to have any holster fit issues due to the front sight being too tall, we only make one height front sight.

When Springfield asked if we had different height front sights (to adjust for the occasional elevation issue) we told them no we do not. We only have the one height front sight and make all needed adjustments in the rear sight. I guess they listened to the first part of the answer and not the second or didn't understand that we do have different height rear sights. So IF, repeat IF, your pistol doesn't zero in using the baseline set (which it 90%+ most likely will) that there is a way we can make some adjustments.

Bo

Just wonder if things were cleared up. I never got a set but have recently been thinking about it again.

:confused:

13. dtd80

dtd80 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just ordered my tool! I hope this tool can also be used on my other pistols! Thanks for the info.