Dissambly problem with Browning Gold 12 gauge

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by Bill in San Jose, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Bill in San Jose

Bill in San Jose XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    I cleaned my barrel after every duck hunting weekend, and sprayed cleaner in the receiver then lightly oiled for the season. I went to do a dissembly to clean the gas cycling mechanism over the weekend, and I could not pull the barrel forward and free it from the receiver. The gas piston and sleeve move perfectly well.

The gas ejection area was pretty dirty (a whole season's worth of fouling, but it always cycled perfectly) and there was a small amount of rust on the threaded 'cup' that holds it together and the thread at the end of the magazine tube (that holds the 12 gauge shells).

Thinking there might be a small amount of rust holding everything tight, I sprayed some penetrating oil into the metal cylinder on the bottom of the barrel, between it and where the gas pistol slides, as well as into the receiver from the outside of the barrel.

A few hours later, it's still not moving.

I decided to put it back in the safe, and come back at the project. My next idea is to get somebody else to hold the stock firmly while I pull on the barrel (it's obviously unloaded) to try to free it up, that will be more force than I can apply trying to pull it apart myself.

If that does not work, what next before I take it to a gunsmith?

Browning Gold Hunter, 12 gauge, 3" with camo finish.

2. bigun

bigun XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Remove the cap before locking the bolt back, the barrel should spring foreward and slide off the tube. If not after locking the bolt back slowly run the bolt foreward. Long duck seasons are rough on them if not cleaned after each trip.

3. Bill in San Jose

Bill in San Jose XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    Everything's OK, maybe somebody else can learn from my experience.

I brought it to the local gunsmith. After confirming it was unloaded 3 times, he removed the forearm cap and forearm. Then he pulled the bolt back, and pressed the release button to let the spring drive it forward. He did that about 30 times, and the barrel started to slowly move forward. The bolt hitting the barrel is normal, and OK to do.

Then he put the barrel in a vise clamp, and while pulling on the stock, released the bold one more time. The receiver pulled off the barrel with the last impact.

There was a very small amount of power fouling in between the barrel and the receiver, and with the tight tolerances, it "got stuck". I completely broke-down and cleaned the shotgun, oiled, reassembled, replaced the gas O ring while I was doing everything ($1.75 from Browning), and it's back in the safe waiting for some unlucky mallard on October 18!

4. bigun

bigun XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Just a little trick next time you break it down put some grease on the outside of the barrel extension, Tetra works great this should ease disassembly. If you are going to be shooting alot or have it out in inclemmant weather IE duck hunting dont neglect the gun. I clean My Beretta 390 on a regular basis, every couple of weeks at least and every time it gets wet or snow covered. It has never let me down in 13 years of hard use. My buddies Benelli hasnt been maintained nearly as well and his reliability has suffered, yet all he can do is complain on his 1400 dollar SBE not performing like they claim it will. Take care of the Browning and it will take care of you.