Disaster / Survival Kit...

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by redhatchbox, Aug 8, 2008.

1. redhatchbox

redhatchbox XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I came across one of these the other day at the gunshop.. GunBroker.com guns: Smith & Wesson SW9VE Disaster Ready Kit S&W 9mm (item: 106627969 ends: Aug-12-08 02:35:09 PM)

Now I'm tempted to customize one of my own. Does anybody here have a similar setup for that unexpected event?

I'd modify the kit with a shortwave radio, and a prepaid cellphone. I already have a stockpile of MREs, field water purifier, and a combat lifesaver emergency kit buried in a seabag in my closet.

Edit: For those of you with one, post pics / inventory list!

Here is mine so far: http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xdtalk-chatter-box/79734-disaster-survival-kit-2.html#post1252469

2. Joeywhat

Joeywhat XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0
    If there were a Glock/XD in there I'd buy it.

3. bdraughon

bdraughon XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    yes, i think many of us have them. commonly called bug out bags.

im always modifiying mine with new things that i think i will need and replacing old things ect...

i also keep a fat stack of cash in it JIC and plenty of ammo.

there are many threads on these if you search for them. you can get some outstanding ideas of what to put in yours. thats what i did.

4. TMP

TMP XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    I had to look...... that is kinda funny. I'm willing to bet that not many people have a disaster kit... or even a first aid kit, including myself. I've been thinking about it lately and think I will put one together.

5. samuse

samuse XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I saw that in Corpus but it had a Glock 17 or 19 I can't remember. It was at a shop called Sharp Shooter.

6. redhatchbox

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    First step is going to be sourcing a nice Pelican-type case. Something large enough for everything I'll need. Might was well start a write-up in here once I start putting everything together. :)

7. vthompson

vthompson XDTalk 100 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Redhatchbox, Where can I get MRE's at? And what is a fair price to pay for them? Any help would be appreciated.

8. redhatchbox

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I collected them while I was at Annual Training. They'd give us 2-3 a day and I would only eat about .5 of one. :p By the time AT was over with I had 1/2 a seabag full of MREs.

Local surplus stores often stock them, not sure about the price though.

9. bdraughon

bdraughon XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    id think you would be surprised how many people really do have them.

10. jeepinbanditrider

jeepinbanditrider XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I would go with something back portable incase you need to leave the comfort of your vehicle during a bug out.

My BOB consists of a frame mounted ALICE pack and a LBV. With this setup I can get 3 days to a week depending on how far I stretch my supplies. My bug out firearms are either my daily carry XD9 or G17 and my AR. I plan to bug out by vehicle which would allow me to carry more food,water, and ammo but the BOB is setup for not having any kind of support at all. Never know when driving a vehicle might not be the best option or if/when you will break down.

I personally go though my BOB on the 1st week of every month to inspect everything to make sure it's still good to go and nothing in the medical or food front is expired or ripped open or anything like that. I also take that opportunity to rotate the water that I have in the canteens for fresh water.

[​IMG]

This is an old picture here. Some things have been removed and some things have been added since then.

Here is what I carry everyday. Not necessarily on me into stores and stuff but if I leave the house it rides in my car

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The kit above will get me home if I'm out and about. Enough food for a day, spare ammo, ect. Never know when civilization will end while your shopping at your local wally mart LOL.

Some guys have even built I.N.C.H. kits for long term bug out survival. I forgot what INCH means right off the top of my head but these are some VERY well thought out kits that could keep you alive and mostly comfortable for a long period of time.

Even having a 3 day BOB will put you well ahead of a large majority of the population out there.

ETA-if you are interested in prepardness before, during, after a large natural disaster or local disaster or what not, check out Zombie Squad

We use zombies as a metaphor for disaster. Since if you are prepared for zombies you are prepared for anything short of being at ground zero of a nuclear blast or asteroid strike.

11. thejoe

thejoe XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have seen the S&W disaster kits and they prompted me to set up something of my own. I can't afford a big kit with all the nice stuff, or even a pelican case, so I bought a newer ammo can that is plastic, waterproof, and good sized. I have lightsticks, emergency blankets, food, water purification, ammo, rope, a tarp, the means to make fire, and a first aid kit in it. It needs updating, but it'll do for now. In my car I carry my range bag/BOB. It has warm clothing, some foodstuffs, first aid equipment, a flashlight with extra batteries, boots, and extra ammo for my sidearm. I figure that the BOB will get me home, and if we have to leave there we'll take the ammo can and go.

I'm working up a list of things I ought to have, to, so I'll be revisiting this post as you all progress and I'll throw in my 2 cents here and there. Good thread!

joe

12. Mamba

Mamba XDTalk 100 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    >I forgot what INCH means right off

"I'm Never Coming Home"

Complete acronym list here.

13. redhatchbox

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here are some things I already have/ will source soon. I will probably be adding more things.

Move
    1. Supply of MREs/Canned foods and bottled Water
    2. Powdered Nutrients (spirulina - Enerfood - super Energy Drink - Greenfood Drink - Immune System Support - SuperGreen food - spirulina pacifica)
    3. Water Purification (The Sport Berkey ® Portable Water Purifier Water Bottle - Sports Bottles) + Purification Tablets
    4. Combat lifesaver medical kit. Meds/Vitamins(Everything needed for field medical care)
    Shoot
    1. Firearms (XD45, Sig P220) (Going to purchase Ruger 10/22 soon..)
    2. Lots of ammo (.45ACP / .22)
    3. Mags
    4. Cleaning kit / CLP
    Communicate
    1. Shortwave Radio - Listening to global radio stations would be a plus if all-hell broke loose
    2. Unused Prepaid Cellphone - Unidentifiable way to communicate
    In Automobile
    1. Power Inverter
    2. Toolbag
    3. Mini compressor/Spare tire/Fix a flat
    4. Gas can with extra gasoline
    NBC Protection
    1. Would be nice to have a Gasmask & New Canister! :p
    Misc
    1. Swiss army knife
    2. Big knife
    3. Clothes (Boots, Jeans, Jackets, T shirts, Socks)
    4. Bug repellent, Foot powder, Chap stick, Bar soap
    5. Toilet Paper (A must!)
    6. Firestarting things
    7. 550 Cord/Duct tape
    8. Compass/GPS
    9. Flashlight
    10. Batteries
    11. Portable Solar panel
    12. Protection from elements. (Blankets, Ponchos, Waterproofing Bags)
    13. Form of shelter (compact pop-up tent)
    14. Hygiene Items (+Female items for the lady)

14. afmo

afmo XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +71 / 1
    i picked up an ALICE pack from the army surp. store for my BOB.

Got ammo for all my guns, some MRE's (3 bucks a piece at army surp), rope, first aid kit, matches, lighter, flint and steel, (can never have too many fire starting things) survival knife, compass, batteries for GPS, bug spray, TP, folding shovel, some plastic sheet, soap, sunscreen, pot for cooking, water purification tablets, farraday flashlight, basic firearm cleaning kit, hand crank radio and probably some other stuff i forgot.

Gotta love those ALICE packs though...space for days. got mine army surp for 29.99.

15. redhatchbox

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    All I have right now is a Seabag for everything... Alice pack is a good idea though.