Difference in extended magazine releases? Springer vs Canyon, etc + lengths f/ USPSA?

Discussion in 'Gun Games: Shooting Competition' started by Jeanjacket, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Jeanjacket

Jeanjacket XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've already done some pretty heavy searching on the site already btw and haven't found anything, so if i've missed something, feel free to link it to me.

Anyway started shooting USPSA production this month and I am getting a little mod-happy with my XDm9 4.5. Just ordered the Ultimate Match Trigger from PRP along with their X-Treme grips, and am now looking into an extended magazine release. Contacting PRP directly earlier today, I found that they might stock the releases soon, but are not selling at the moment short of full custom work.

Firstly, there only seem to be two people that sell these at the moment at +0.1" (pls let me know if there are others to consider) -- those two being Canyon Creek ($35) and Springer Precision ($30). 1) Price difference being negligible, from those of you who have experienced either or both, are there any functional or cosmetic differences between the two?

Secondly, I know that you can factory order XDm's with an extended magazine release (being the rationale for this and other mods being USPSA Production legal), but 2) does anyone know which brand SA uses for their extended magazine releases?

Also, from PRP's custom shop, you can order even longer mag releases, +.15" and +.20". 3) Anyone know if these lengths are USPSA legal (does SA offer these?) and where else I might get them if so?

2. Jeanjacket

Jeanjacket XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Eh, just said F it and went with the Springer. I'm impatient.. wanna get this going asap. They seem to carry more weight on these boards for quality and service anyway.

Still, if anyone's got some info for these questions I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

3. polishnightmare

polishnightmare XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Springer will meet IDPA rules, not sure about USPSA. However I think that USPSA rules are more open than IDPA. I think the powder river will as well. However in which ever case don't get the one that has is over sized in diameter, at least for IDPA, as it is not allowed. You can only go longer .2" max.