Define "threaded" barrel

Discussion in 'AR Talk' started by gunzor, Mar 19, 2009.

1. gunzor

gunzor XDTalk 100 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    As you can see, Californian here, designing my first build with many questions.

I've been looking at some barrels, getting an idea of what would be best for me. I see references to "threaded" barrels in some places, and how they won't ship to this state. Are they talking about threaded for flash hiders and comps, or threaded for suppressors? I was always under the impression the former was outside the barrel, while the latter was internally threaded, hence my confusion. Which one can I get and be legal, or will neither of them be available to me?

2. Loves2Shoot

Loves2Shoot Official Site Vendor Supporting Vendor

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Threaded barrels can hold either a comp OR a suppressor. Generally, they are both threaded externally. I'm not an expert on CA laws, but I believe it is something stupid like no threaded barrels, if you put a comp on it has to be "permanently attached."

3. John A.

John A. XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +111 / 5
    Barrel threading for an AR is an external thread on the end of the muzzle.

If you can screw anything onto it (muzzlebrake, flash hider, suppressor), then that's a threaded barrel. And for what it's worth, all of your examples are threaded the same anyway.

As Loves to Shoot has pointed out, the ATF has set forth guide lines for permanently attaching things on the end of the barrel to reach the 16 inch minimum length from either pinning and welding, or brazing the attachment to the barrel, but that's on a federal level and I don't know enough about the particular wording of California laws, and don't know if that's acceptable there or not to "defeat" the fact that it's a threaded barrel to begin with. Especially if you'd have to get the barrel and then attach the muzzle device in Kalifornia.

I would imagine a safer alternative (if there is such a thing in California) would be to look for what is called a "post ban" barrel. It has no threading and usually has an 11 degree barrel crown on it instead.

Preban barrels are always threaded. Postban barrels are not threaded.

Hope that helps.

4. The DRis

The DRis XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    The compensator/flash suppressor only needs to be permenently attached if the barrel is 14.5". If it is an actual 16" barrel without either one of them attached your good. Then you can switch between either one you want. You need to have a "bullet button" or "prince50" magazine locking system to have all the goodies. Once you have that you can have pistol grips, vertical foregrips, collapsible stock, flash suppressor etc. If you don't get the magazine locking device you need to install a "monsterman grip". And you are not allowed to have a vertical foregrip, but your magazine can be detachable. Still limited to 10rd mags.

5. Hutch98R1

Hutch98R1 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    [​IMG]

6. gunzor

gunzor XDTalk 100 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Excellent info, and thanks. I don't know why, but I always thought barrels threaded for suppressors were on the inside. I guess it's because I've never used a suppressed firearm. You learn something new every day.
    Heh... I bought a bullet button (and a LPK) before I even started looking at lowers, so I'm good to go on that end. I now have a Spike's flat top upper and Dan Young BCG on the way as well. My bank account is whining at me, so I'll have to start saving up more moolah for other parts.

I'm psyched!