Debating on XD(m) 3.8 or 4.5?

Discussion in 'General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk' started by bsteiner, May 30, 2010.

1. bsteiner

bsteiner XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey guys, i'm looking to buy a .40 cal XDm. I've shot the older version of the XDm and I loved it. I really like the looks of the 3.8 and am wondering if any of you guys have had any experience with both of them and would mind putting in your input. I've heard that a lot of folks like the new 3.8 because it make the firearm feel more "balanced". Anyone agree? disagree? I realized both firearms are identical other than the slightly shorter barrel. I'm not here to get into the debate on it not being a compact ect... I don't care about that or it not being any easier to conceal. I just want to know if the barrel length plays a great deal in the accuracy of the firearm, the balance ect... Also would you recommend the stainless or the blued? Pros and cons please. Thanks guys!

2. sawedoff12

sawedoff12 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hey, i just bought the 4.5 9mm last week, i went through the same debate on the 3.8, in the end i went with the longer, because ccw was not an issue, and was going for better accuracy. As far as the finish, if i had to do it over, it would be stainless, but i plan on painting my xdm anyway.

3. bsteiner

bsteiner XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Did you end up firing the 3.8?

4. sawedoff12

sawedoff12 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    no, wish i would have, but couldnt find one to rent.

5. VT RAIDER

VT RAIDER XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well I have a 3.8 chambered in 9 mm and a 4.5 chambered in .40... I like the feel of the 3.8 better; I also believe it feels more balanced... I don't really see a difference in accuracy but that is not a fair statement given two different calibers... Both guns will out-shoot me any day... Both of my XDMs are stainless, because I like the contrasting colors...

I would love a 3.8 chambered in .40...

6. bsteiner

bsteiner XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Awesome, I think thats what i'm gonna go with, the 3.8 chamber in .40. Thanks guys

7. rgeliske

rgeliske XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Just so you know barrel length has very little impact on conceal ability. The length of the grip is a much greater concern so I find the idea of an XD(M) with a shorter barrel being easier to conceal somewhat useless. Many people have wanting the longer barrel of the XD 40 with the shorter grip of of the XD 40 Subcompact have gone to chopping the grip of the XD 40 Service model. In general the 40S&W is a very snappy round and the extra weight of the longer barrel and slide helps to reduce the perceived recoil.

8. Learn2turn

Learn2turn XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would not want less wieght at the front of the gun, the muzzle flip with the .40S&W is pronounced and significant with the 4.5in barrel, it will be worse on the 3.8in. Mine has felt like it was going to pivot right on up and fly out of my grip w/ the 4.5in.

I think it is funny to hear people say the 3.8 is more "balanced" when we put heavier guide rods in our guns to add more wieght to the front and reduce felt recoil and muzzle flip anyway.:p Gun store counter balance? Coffee table dry firing at TV balance?
    What a joke!

I would not want less shootability (more recoil and muzzle flip), less velocity (punch/penetration) and shorter sight radius (increasing effort for same accuracy). Unless you NEED the 3.8, don't handicap yourself.
    I.M.H.O.

9. Reyort

Reyort XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I have a xd 40 sc. MY advice is two fold. The 4.5 will be easier to shoot and maybe more accurate at ranges you cannot see well at (like over 50 yards). However shooting the shorter barrel will make you a better shooter as you will focus a lot more on fundamentals. The .40 may have more flip, but you shoot it enough and you will get stronger and pretty soon you are nailing targets as fast as you can squeeze the trigger. Then when you pick up any other caliber, you will shoot it with good accuracy.

10. digitalexplr

digitalexplr XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I hoping to get the 3.8 .40 sometime this summer. I have the XD40 service now. I see no really advantage one way or the other regarding 3.8 & 4.5. If the 3.8 had not come out I would get the 4.5.

If, as a previous poster says, anyone finds the .40 recoil so strong that it nearly jumps out of the hand, they have a grip issue that needs to be worked on. I can double-tap the .40 every bit as fast if not faster than the 9sc. If you are having that type of issue with the .40 drop back to the 9mm or do a lot more practicing.

The "M's" were never designed to be ccw weapons, but they all can be concealed. Heck, I used conceal my S&W K frame .38spl revolver. No I not that big: 5'11", 195#.

11. bsteiner

bsteiner XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thats very true, if your having problems with it coming out of your hands that a fundamental issue, not the firearm... Thanks for the input guys

12. AKC

AKC XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    The 3.8 with a grip chop looks pretty sick. I have the 4.5 and conceal just fine. But Canyon Creek custom does an awesome job on the chop. You can switch from compact to full size grip like the SC and XD .45 compact. I may consider this as my next purchase.

XD/m Photo Gallery

13. iCreek

iCreek XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Tough choice, I like both the 3.8 and 4.5. If I were to have one it would probably be the 3.8 in bi-tone. Mine are 9mm, but I might pick up a .40 in a 3.8 later this year. I have always been partial to the 'black' guns, but my wife says "why would anyone buy a black one once they see the bi-tone?"

[​IMG]

14. bsteiner

bsteiner XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks AKC that canyon creek website is pretty cool

15. Bultx1215

Bultx1215 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I liked both the 3.8 and 4.5. I will just get the 4.5 for the longer barrel and better flip control for follow ups. I doubt there will be much difference, but every little bit up front couldn't hurt. I usually shoot 4" barrels. Both of these are so close to that mark, IMO, either would be a good shooter.