Davi's In Raleigh, NC has closed their range

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by NC Dave, May 13, 2008.

1. NC Dave

NC Dave XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Triangle are shooters lose one of their shooting options...

Effectively immediately, Davi's has closed their shooting range. This was an 8 lane indoor range that allowed shooting to distances of 150'. I was very convenient as they allowed handguns and just about any rifle that you wanted to shoot.

I called and spoke with the current manager today to get more information regarding the closing of the range. According to him, there have been “several incidents” over the last few weeks. One involved police officers “misbehaving” on the range. Davi’s feels that they are unable to safely operate their firing range, so they are closing it permanently.

I asked if they have considered increasing the training of the range officers receive and also beefing up their “this is the end the bullets come out of” test. He said those options had been examined, but they felt it best to close the range permanently.
    <O:p
    I asked him if they were also going to close their retail operations since they felt incompetent to ensure safe gun handling at their establishment. He said that they would continue their retail operations as they could instruct people in the mechanical operation of firearms even if they could not actually show someone how to shoot. I asked if that didn&#8217;t seem a little unethical to him. Of course he said no.
    <O:p</O:p
    My wife and I have always enjoyed shooting there. Fortunately we only have six weeks left on our annual family membership. According to the manager, Davi&#8217;s will be offering a prorated refund in the form of an in-store credit. The amount depends on when you purchased your range membership. I have informed him that is not acceptable and that a cash refund of the value of my remaining six weeks is the only thing that would be acceptable. ($300 a year / 52 week = $5.77. $5.77 * 6 = $34.62) We&#8217;ll see how that goes when I show up later this week to close out that account with them. It is not a lot of money, but if they can't keep their diapers dry, I don't want to do business with them.
    Since they are admitting to themselves that they are not competent to run a gun range, I will not be using their retail operations any longer. Although my wife and I have both purchased guns, safes, and a ton of supplies from them, I will not darken their door again. Without a range, they have nothing to offer that I cannot buy closer to home. That saddens me because I have become friends with many of the sales staff and former range officers.
    I personally think that this is a huge mistake and that they are going to lose a lot of their business without the range. The will definitely miss the revenue. When you have people on a waiting list every Saturday and Sunday, it is nothing but a money maker. I feel sorry for the range officers who have been fired. I feel sorry for the sales staff that will out of a job within a year.

(I know that some people have had bad experience there, but my wife and I have never been treated with anything but respect by everyone who works there.)

2. NC Dave

NC Dave XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Important note - in all of "incidents" - nobody was injured.

3. Tiburon65

Tiburon65 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Suprising... Thanks for the info. Haven't shot there, never felt comfortable with their operation. Guess I had good reasons...

4. cucamelsmd15

cucamelsmd15 XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not surprising to me. After some of the stunts they have pulled in the past (i.e. I had a range officer tell me I couldnt double-tap while shooting one day), I think their business has been on a downward slide for a while.

This mainly leaves PDHSC, which is ALWAYS crowded. In fact, its been so crowded the past few times Ive been, Ive actually turned around and walked out. :(

We Triangle NC'ers need some more shooting options.

5. jlpskydive

jlpskydive XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Wow that is shocking. I was there last Friday and someone had put a round through one of the trays that you stand in front of and fire. Someone must have been a complete idiot to fire through that. I was pretty good friends with a couple of the guys that ran the range and some of the people they had to deal with was unreal. I will be buying my next safe from them, but that's probably the last time I go. The range was 5 min from my house so it was a good lunchtime destination for me. Good thing I still have my SSI membership!!! :cool:

6. jlpskydive

jlpskydive XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Don't forget Eagle1 which is located (ironicly) right by the old Davi's location. The Eagle1 guys are very nice and know their stuff.

7. yocan

yocan XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +141 / 2
    They need to sell the range, that would be nifty I should think.

I've seen cops that are drinking pull on eachother. I've seen a couple cops ND, Most cops are responsible, but in interest of protecting the good ones the crappy ones also seem to be shielded from scrutiny. A pity it shut down a range.

8. NC Dave

NC Dave XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We sure do. Other than the Wake County range, I don't know of any place else for rifles that is indoors. My AR and MilSurp stuff is gong to start getting dusty. :x

I did not like some of the rules at Davi's either, but indoors / 150' / anything you care to shoot much more than offset the negatives for me.

Davi's was always crowded as well. Saturday mornings (10 - 11:30) were fairly open, but you were on the wait list if you showed up after noon. On Sundays, there was always a line waiting for the door to be unlocked at noon. The wait list started immediately. Weekdays seemed to do pretty well too.

I still think that they are making a very poor business decision. I'm planning on getting a new 1911 and a new O/U shotgun in the next month or so. Guess where they are not going to be purchased?

9. cucamelsmd15

cucamelsmd15 XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Agreed. I remember when I bought my first XD at PDHSC (and paid $413!), I had to boxes of 9mm WWB, and the first thing I did was go directly to the range. Thats extra $$$ that Davi's wont be able to rake in now.

However, if you need someone to care for that AR... *cough* ;)

10. bashman

bashman XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Please keep us informed as to how this turns out. I live in Charlotte, but am originally from Garner. I purchased a membership there a while back when I came into town and wanted to take a friend shooting. I wasn't happy that I had to get a card and take a test, but my friend really wanted to shoot, and so did I. :D
    Hopefully they will let you get your money back, and everyone else, too. Not sure how much time is left on mine, but I would love to get whatever is left back in the form of greenbacks.

11. NC Dave

NC Dave XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Unless you purchased a Yearly Membership or a Family Membership, you probably only paid $5 for the range card. The range card is valid for one year and simply lets them know that you have taken the mandatory safety exam for that year. You would pay as you go for lane rental under the $5 range card plan. Davi's would not owe you anything for that card.

My situation involves a pre-paid family membership.

12. NC Dave

NC Dave XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I wound up with a $25 in-store credit for the last month of my membership. I decided that I did not want to make a big stink about the other $10 or so I felt I was owed as I did not want to burn any bridges in case Davi's management ever came to their senses. I picked up $25 worth of cleaning supplies and said goodbye to some good people who work there.

I think I would have approached the situation differently if I had heard Davi's current Father's Day ad first. Here is an excerpt for their ad used on-air and on their website. It is one of the most nonsensical things I have ever heard.

:shock:

Can someone please explain to me how they can say safety comes first and their focus is on home defense when they have removed their ability to actually train or allow someone to shoot a pistol, rifle, or shotgun? Their ad copy is asinine and insulting to anyone who actually does help introduce people to firearms and teaches them learn to shoot safely.

How many gun stores do you know of that would love to have a range for people to test fire different types of weapons to help make the right decision about what gun is right for them? Davi’s management has clearly lost their way. If anyone is looking to buy out a store and shooting range, there should be one on the market in Raleigh in the next year or so.

Although I was a loyal customer for several years and recommened Davi's to many peopel, I'll never be back there and no longer, in good conscience, recommend Davi's to anyone.

13. Pinedawg

Pinedawg XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I suggest since you are so knowledgeable about business ownership and range ownership in particular, you should buy/rent a piece of commercial property and open up a new range, and run it your way. Evidently there's enough business there and you know everything about how to run a range and a gun store.:rolleyes:

My guess is that they are tired of the liability insurance($$$$$$) and the liability itself, not to mention the headaches of owning and operating such a business.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but having owned a retail business and a restaurant, I never judge anyone that has to shut the door. It's very different when you are on the business side of any business. It's the mile in my shoes bit.

14. NC Dave

NC Dave XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for you input, Pinedawg.