CVT Transmission ?'s on 2007 Sentra

Discussion in 'Motor Sports' started by texan_eagle_scout, May 10, 2010.

1. texan_eagle_scout

texan_eagle_scout XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Does anyone on here have a 2007+ Nissan Sentra?

I am at 30k on mine and the service book says to do a Transmission fluid change. Having never owned a CVT before I was wondering if anyone here had any experience dealing with them.

So far what I have learned is:

• The current (from Nissan Parts) fluid is a clear/green, and that some of the Murano and Altima's came with red fluid. (just to confuse things)
    • Apparently the dealer checks the viscosity of the fluid to check to see if it needs replacing. If it is good to go, then no change.
    • The fluid is apprently quit a bit more expensive than regular ATF. A full flush is about $120 work of fluid alone, and at my local dealer the service is $259 with an online coupon! It's $360 regularly! Yeesh!

2. Tally XD

Tally XD XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    It is different fluid because it is a totally different kind of transmission. I would definitely suggest having the fluid serviced. However, you do not have to use a dealer to do the service. Look up your nearest service center that uses BG chemicals. They can do the service and it may be a couple hundred bucks cheaper.

3. bearcave

bearcave XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I also highly recommend that you just replace the fluids and not perform a tranny flush. The Dealer, not Nissan, recommends this service as it is a big money maker. You can possibly have severe problems arise to your tranny / motor after having this service performed.

4. MichaelHC

MichaelHC XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Coming from a mechanic... Tally Xd has it right. Routine maitenance sucks to pay for sometimes, especially at the 30k mile intervals, but it's worth it in the long run if you plan on holding onto your car for awhile. At 30k, your tranny wont be filthy, but you'll want to clean out any filth that has accumulated. A little filth will only create more filth if left alone. No you don't have to go through a dealer but you will want BG cleaners and additives used, they work. Just my .02

5. Tally XD

Tally XD XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    If you have regular services done to your engine and tranny there should be no harmful side effects from having a flush performed. Flushing regularly is recommended. Flushing an engine or tranny once in a vehicles lifetime is asking for trouble.