curious... can too much oil hurt the gun?

Discussion in 'XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance' started by duality, Nov 26, 2007.

1. duality

duality XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm still very new to guns and I am going to attempt to clean it in a little bit. I've already had the gun apart and back together 100000 times so thats not what worries me. I just want to make sure how much oil to use.

thanks

2. ColoXD_Fan

ColoXD_Fan XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0
    Great question I just cleaned my guns last night and had the same question and was getting ready to post. But you beat me to it. :) Can't wait for responses.

3. Druac

Druac XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ...but too much oil has the bad side affect of collecting junk. I have been told that you should use it sparingly and only where it is truly needed, such as metal on metal wearing areas. But if you use the good stuff, it only requires a 'drop' or two, literally.

4. xd4life

xd4life XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +56 / 0
    General rule I follow

-Guns that get little use or safe queens
    Light coat of oil on all parts, meaning it looks wet but but can't draw in it, same with magazines

-carry pistols (I live in the desert)
    Internal parts of the slide are moderately coated with oil, you cant draw in it, but it looks wet, Trigger springs and frame internals light coated with oil, I use a dry lube on my carry mags, I use Pedros it's commonly used on high end bicycle chains.

-Rifles and shotgun
    Light coat on all part, A little heavier if it gonna be in a wet environment, lighter if it's really cold.

-AR
    WET I like to run my bolt with enough oil that it's not running, but wet enough I can draw in it.

5. olyeller

olyeller XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As long as you keep the striker channel dry and free of lube, youre good to go.

the only issue with too much oil or lube is if it makes your grip slippery.

Way more underlubed guns out there than over lubed ones.

6. bountyhunter

bountyhunter XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Bullseye. The hard carbon powder residue and general crud inside the gun dissolves into the oil.... and oil plus particle residue = polishing compound.

I generall use grease and oil blended because it holds the lube where it needs to be. Oil basically just runs straight south.

7. The Knight Of Light

The Knight Of Light XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Maybe if you shoot it so much the oil catches fire!!

8. Philadelphia

Philadelphia XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I always love watching the oil smoke out of the gun after the first round or two. :)

I don't know how much is too much but I've been advised that keeping things more wet is better than too dry.

After cleaning, I use Break Free CLP on a patch, send it through the barrel and give everything a wipe. I put a "drop" of synthetic grease on each of the frame rails, locking block, and the part of the firing pin/striker that extends out under the slide. Reassemble, cycle the action a few times, wipe off all external excess with a clean paper towel and ready to go. If you were to disassemble the gun after that (even after time had passed) it would still look "wet" inside.

I use my guns often and keep them clean (a buddy was looking inside one of them that had hundreds if not over a thousand rounds through it already and asked if it had ever been fired -- clean) and so far never had a problem with attracting too much dirt.

9. samman23

samman23 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    You want to make sure the firing pin channel is dry because you don't want that gummed up and so it doesn't spit at you.

10. armyofone25thid

armyofone25thid XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok well with every weapon I have, whenever I clean it, I take a cloth and put a little bit of oil onto it, then rub down the interior of the weapon. Just enough so that the parts have a slight "sheen" to them. But not so much as to where it's running off of it. Too much oil will cause it to collect dust and then goo up the inside of your weapon. Which then leads to jams, etc etc. But that's just me.

11. tomfoolery

tomfoolery XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    ive posted these before here....just a visual of what gets oiled. Just because you do it different doesnt mean its wrong, this is just what i do.

use an air hose, hose out the gun, run some wet patches through it, scrub it, wet patches again, dry patches, air hose it out, lube the parts indicated. Once a month or so il take the gun ALL the way apart and clean and lube it lightly, including the exterior metal...wipe it down and lightl coat it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. jeepinbanditrider

jeepinbanditrider XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I only detail strip it every few months or so.

The rest of the time it's field style cleanings. Wipe the carbon out of the areas I can reach, bore brush and patch the barrel/chamber. Then I take a q-tip and get it wet with CLP or Rem-Oil then use that q-tip on the load bearing surfaces or anywhere metal on metal contact occurs. It's not enough to make a mess but enough to lube it up.

Everyone will have their own little ritual for cleaning their firearms. That's just mine. I do notice that some of my older weapons need more lube to function properly than some of my newer weapons with the newer coatings such as the XD. My dad's Glock runs best with VERY light coats of oil on it.

13. Alpental

Alpental XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My XD9 seems to run fine pretty well lubed. First few rounds it will splatter a little oil. I’ve shot it on the dry side as well and that didn’t seem bother it either. I think the XD is pretty forgiving in terms if lube.
    Cheers!

14. DMWyatt

DMWyatt XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0
    The XD is also fairly forgiving when it comes to cleaning as well. Remember it's a service weapon. It's designed to function efficiently in stresses that some range/competition guns can't function at all.

15. x3ro

x3ro XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you for this post! I'm a noob XD-45 owner, and this helps me very much in seeing what should be lubed..

What's the firing pin channel everyone keeps mentioning? Sorry for the noob question!