Crossbreed is pretty chunky. Anything else out there that's thinner

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by BBQGuru, Jan 21, 2013.

1. BBQGuru

BBQGuru XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Greetings form the newb to the forum. I have been a lurker for months but just picked up my 3rd XD yesterday needed some help.

Some background:
    After owning a couple Glocks (23 and 27), a Beretta 96D an MP40 4" a Ruger Super Blackhawk, a Kahr K40 and a Kahr CM9 I decided I wanted a Glock-like pistol with extra passive safety enhancements. So I bought an XD40 service a couple years ago. Loved it so much I bought the 9mm service a few weeks back. Loved it so much I bought the 9mmSC yesterday. Hard to find right now but if you know where to go.....

I Carry concealed. Have carried a Kahr PM9 for a few months after carrying a Kahr CM9 before that. However as with another Kahr I had in the past I'm just not 100% comfortable with how it shoots - I know I know - go shoot it more and I intend to do that. It's a great gun - just need to adjust the sights a little and practice (maybe). I carry the Kahr in front pocket or Crossbreed Mini-tuck. Love the mini-tuck.

So today I found a local guy selling his left handed XD9SC super tuck. Go figure - I find a used LEFTY super tuck for the gun I just bought. I thought the planets were aligning. It's in great shape. Paid $40 for it. I tried it on with the new 9SC and it's pretty chunky. When I wear my Kahr I can barely fit it in my regular jeans. It fit's but it isn't extremely comfy. I have a pair of 1 size up jeans that the Kahr fits great in. However even with the 1 size up jeans the 9SC is pretty snug.

Now to my question. Does anyone out there make a more low profile or thinner IWB holster (than the Crossbreed) for the 9SC or is there a better solution? I've never really considered an OWB holster for CCW. I's a 6' guy in a 6'2 torso so shirts really don't run that long on me.

Let me know and thanks in advance.

2. showmepro1200

showmepro1200 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    3/16" for the leather backing (at most) and 1/16" for the kydex portion - how much thinner do you think you can go and still retain rigidity of the holster :confused:

3. agalindo

agalindo XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    Exactly what I was thinking.

4. ciollika

ciollika XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Chunky is not the first thing that comes to mind when I think about my super tucks :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

5. Rangel

Rangel XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Get bigger pants.

6. ArmyGuy45

ArmyGuy45 XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +71 / 0
    In all the years I have been on here and heard positive things about Crossbreed. I have NEVER heard them being call chunky.:?:

7. TonysXDM

TonysXDM XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    any thinner and you may as well go with a fabric holster, it will collapse.

8. mhen

mhen XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For inside the waist band you are not going to find anything better. Its not the holster that is chunky, its the gun. If you want more space inside your belt line get a single stack gun.

9. TheJohnnyGuy

TheJohnnyGuy XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mic holster :p

10. Snapshot

Snapshot XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ^this, maybe it's not the holster that's chunky ;)

11. BBQGuru

BBQGuru XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wow - didn't mean to sound like I was bashing on Crossbreed. You HAVE to remember I'm comparing this to the Kahr PM9 (SINGLE STACK) that I carry. Kahr single stacks are all I've ever carried. I have nothing else to compare it to. So YES I stand by my comment that the new set up is chunky to me. Will I get used to it? Hope so. I love the XD line so much and I've invested a fair amount of dough in it. I'm fully committed to it.

Please remember I didn't ask why you don't think Crossbreed is chunky, or why you think I'm a jackass for making such a blasphemous statement. I'm asking - IS THERE ANOTHER OPTION that's thinner? I'm asking because I want help from other's who have the same gun/setup as me aka - the people on this forum.

Mhen - it's also the owner that's chunky. :)

If any of you have ever lost a ton of weight - it's extremely counter intuitive to buy "bigger" pants. It's a mental thing. Plus I don't wanna be swimming in my pants..... I'm not a baggy jeans kinda guy.

12. SpringerFan

SpringerFan XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    While I love the Supertuck, I will say it requires a "break-in" period. They definitely get more comfortable with use.

13. agalindo

agalindo XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    The reason it's so "chunky" is that the XD is much thicker than you Kahr. The holster has to be wide enough to accept the gun. Only way to make it thinner is to change the gun to a thinner model and buy a holster for that.

14. mhen

mhen XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    BBQGuru, i had something written about there not being enough room in the pants due to the owner, but i deleted it to be nice haha
    We weren't attacking you to defend the crossbreed (although many of us do love them) bit we were trying to point out that the holster isn't that big. Its a sliver of leather and a sliver of kydex. Other than that the only space is where the gun goes, and the size of that hole depends on the gun.
    A crossbreed is likely the most comfortable holster you will ever own for that gun. I have 4 holsters for my XD's. They all have their purpose, but the supertuck is my go to due to the fact i don't have to fight it and it won't annoy me all day. I will, and i have, forgotten that its there.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

15. ArmyGuy45

ArmyGuy45 XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +71 / 0

Well DUH!! You are going from a pocket gun to a real mans gun;)