credit card got stolen

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by Modificationvt, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Modificationvt

Modificationvt XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I went to buy an AK the other day and my credit card got declined, so I called them up and apparently it has been frozen due to some fraudulent charges...I haven't used this thing in moths! and now I have to wait a week to get my ak, because I have to wait until they send me another card....sigh...I guess it could be worse....just annoying.

2. akmjolnir

akmjolnir XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    The CC company should have called you immediately upon finding any fraudulent charges. Mine did, but they lost the original replacement card in the mail, so the time without a card probably evens out.

3. ichy_trigger

ichy_trigger XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    Been there done that before. My ex got her pocket picked during christmas one year and they got my debit card. Had my wallet stolen once and a credit account got all messed up. Good luck and be vigilant to your account activity.

4. gkelley3

gkelley3 XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +76 / 0
    Make sure you check all of your accounts. They could be taking statements out of your mailbox.

That happened to me last year. Had to change all of my accounts and got a PO Box.

5. RogueXD

RogueXD XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0
    Got to keep an eye open!!

6. k-dog

k-dog XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Discover did this to me twice within a year. They close the account down and sent out cards. We didn't know it until we went to use the card. No call or anything. My wife called them and they said that they had gotten reports that some of the places we had shopped at had their systems compromised and someone may have gotten CC info. She told them that was BS and if they pulled this stunt again that they need not send out replacement cards.

It seems to me that credit card companies are trying to protect their behind since the consumer is only liable for the first $50. They freeze or close the account anytime they think something might be up.

7. Majk

Majk XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    I got the call this summer. Asked me if I was buying auto parts in California ? I said no I'm in Nebraska, then she asked me if I was online opening up a match.com account. Again I told her no. Well they racked up a couple grand in minutes.

Then about a month ago some company put an un-authorized charge through for $9.00 hoping I wouldn't catch it. :twisted:

8. TMP

TMP XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Sign up for paperless billing from all of you CC companies and setup your online access. Change your passwords every few months and check your accounts on a regular basis.

Lately some $1 charges have been made to my card and I keep disputing them and getting the charge taken off. That's what I get for trying out a credit monitoring service and canceling them. I have no idea why I keep getting the $1 charge but my next step will be to try and get them blocked from my account.

9. Tard

Tard XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    My wife had two of those bogus $12 charges put on her CC a while back, she disputed them and the CC company took them off. They originated in Russia.

Then one of the bogus companies threatened to SUE US for not paying!
    The 'collection letter' was totally illegally worded and when we sent them a registered letter with the details, they refused to sign for it.

Then, they threatened to sue us again.
    The letter from the lawyer and filing with the BBB and NY Attorney General stopped them but they are still in business with a huge list of complaints against them.

So, the first time you get a bogus charge on your CC, demand the company cancel it and re-issue.

10. ForTehNguyen

ForTehNguyen XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    someone took a $1000 from my debit card when I was in cali. The ONLY time i used my debit and PIN there was at this gas station. For sure I believe the gas pump machine was rigged to record the card data. Later someone charged the money at an ATM. The gas pump declined my discover card so thats the reason why I used the debit. Being an ATM you need a physical card and PIN so they had a magnetic card writer machine also which is why for sure the gas pump was recording my acct# and PIN data. This happened a couple days after I arrived back in Houston. Chase called me and shut down my card and they refunded my money. Its all fixed now and I'm getting new cards issued.

11. Wired

Wired XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0
    If you tell the pump it's a credit card instead of a debit card it will NOT ask you for your PIN, but the purchase will still go through. I always opt to run it as credit if I have the choice so I don't have to enter my PIN.

12. jmichna

jmichna XDTalk 25K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +615 / 19
    Just this August, we were on vacation camping in NW IL at a state park. One our way to the park, we gassed up coming through the last town at (in retrospect) a decrepit-looking gas station. I used my main Visa card, the one we use for nearly everything.

The very next morning, we drove from camp to a nearby town to have breakfast at one of our local favorite restaurants. Trying to pay for our meal, the Visa card would not go through, and the restaurant owner motioned for me to come over, and he asked me to produce an ID while he was on the phone with the credit card company. After he verified my ID, he turned the phone over to me, and I went off to a quiet section of the restaurant to continue talking with the CC company. They asked additional verification questions to ascertain I was who I said I was. Turns out that earlier that morning (about 1:30 am our local time) a series of small dollar amount charges were being tried using our credit card, at a variety of online stores and websites.

Our CC company saw these multiple suspicious charges and refused to let them go through. They asked if we were responsible in any way, and after I explained we were out in the boonies camped out and it was just luck that we ate in town that morning and tried to pay with that card. The rep I spoke with said it is typical that a CC thief tries a number of small charges to see if they can get your account to work for them.

Long story short... CC company closed the account, removed all the spurious charges, sent out replacement cards under a new account, and later just asked us to fill out an affidavit as to what happened from our perspective, and that was that.

The spurious charges originated from a time zone about half way around the world... the same ethnic region as from where our gas station attendant originated... and, BTW, the gas station did not have modern pumps that accept credit cards... you had to go into the station office and have the guy run the card through manually :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  13. tenring

tenring XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I used to have a CC that had one account number, with two cards. My wife had one and I had one, but both had my name on them.

I was traveling for work in CA, and she was at home. We used our cards to buy gas about 1 min different but a couple thousand miles apart.

She got a phone call that night from the company and they asked all the verification questions, then asked her if she had recently been out of state! I told her she should have said..."Of course, I was in CA this afternoon, then teleported myself to Michigan, but used up a tank of gas in the process"

They had put a hold on the cards till they talked to her, but they didn't cancel them or anything. I was glad cause I was using it to pay for my trip and that would have been rather inconvenient

14. ForTehNguyen

ForTehNguyen XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    some gas pumps just ask you to insert the card, it doesnt prompt you for a card type selection. Ill keep this in mind next time, or just drive to another gas station that will take my discover.

15. Bill in San Jose

Bill in San Jose XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0
    There was a big scam with thieves putting a new card reader at ARCO gas stations in San Jose this summer. Cards were read and transferred over wireless, and they installed small cameras near them in a phony pamphlet/ advertisement holder attached to a post. Hard to believe they were able to set it up without inside-assistance from the people at the station.

San Jose gas station center of debit card scam