Costs on having a well dug?

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by sinistersixguns, Aug 16, 2009.

1. sinistersixguns

sinistersixguns XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I recently moved to a new house out in the country and would like to have a well put in/dug. It isn't cost effective for me to water livestock/water the yard and garden with my rural water. Anybody have any ideas about basic costs and requirements to get this project completed?

2. em3whitworth

em3whitworth XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I dont know about where you live. But where I live it is something 20+ dollars a foot (last time I checked). It depends on the rock and such you live on. My well is 490 feet deep, and produces the best water I have ever tasted.

3. Frenchy

Frenchy <b>Cat Herder</b> Staff Member Founding Member

Near the confluence of the Missouri and Osage
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    I'm in central Missouri, and I paid $7000.00, all inclusive. I'm down 460 feet.
    This was about 10 years ago.

4. Groo

Groo XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    it all depends on depth. might want to ask some neibors, or the well drillers will have a rough idea. wild guess is $5k, but that is a very wild guess.

5. community

community XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +68 / 0
    anywhere from $4000 to $10000, depending on depth.

6. uk_pony

uk_pony XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    It depends how deep they need to go as to the cost to set the well. Then depending on the quality of the water they hit will depend on whether you need to treat it or not.

We have two wells on our property, both put in before we bought the place.
    One of our wells is not in use, they didn't go deep enough and hit some stinky sulphur water.
    The second well has the best water I ever tasted. I used to drink it untreated, but discovered the water is fairly high in mineral content. I recently installed a water softener ($400 for a high usage model) to reduce the mineral content - the water was great, but over a short period of time (3 months or less) all the sinks, bathtubs, toilets, shower stall etc would get a build up of calcium that was thick enough to be broken off in large pieces. The water softener fixed that.
    Next I discovered the garden sprinkers, automatic watering troughs, would stop working after 6 or so months - I found the water softener removed calcium but not other sediment. So I installed two sediment filters ($40 each), one filters the water going to the house and other the water we have out to the pastures.

We have a reverse osmosis system I installed under the kitchen sink ($299), that makes the water virtually 100% pure (which results in it having no taste) - I prefer the water from the faucet, but better still the water from the pasture faucet which is just fresh out of the ground.

So, like I said, it can be a little more than just digging a well and getting your water. It may or may not need treatment to ensure your not replacing plumbing due to the water quality. The figures I quoted are for DIY, and not for having them installed for you - all are very easy to fit yourself though.

Don't forget to install a backflow valve if you T in to the cities water supply with your well.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  7. Frenchy

Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    The makeup of the soil your drilling through may have an impact.

8. godseviltwin

godseviltwin XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0
    the house i grew up in we only had well water option. it was 18 years ago and it cost my family 7500 bucks to dig it. The well ended up being close to 800 or so feet deep. Also there are different kind of wells. some you have to have a pump on and have no natural pressure, forgot the name of them. There is also a natually pressurized ones called artesian(sp) wells. The well at the famly's house is an artesian well and we have a pump, but don't need it. The water is so pure at the house that we have a sediment filter and thats it. No to very low mineral content in the water and its the best water i have had all of my life. Only issue with artesian wells, is sometimes they hit one that has way too much pressure. One of the neighbors hit one and they spent a week sealing it off. Was a freaking water spout till they could get it sealed off.

9. Zombie Hunter

Zombie Hunter XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    I started drilling a well but my neighbors in the apartment below me got pissed off!

Actually this is a timely question, I am looking to buy some land for a cabin in West Virginia and was wondering the same thing. Septic is my next question!

10. zWarlord

zWarlord XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    septic system will be about 7-10K for the tank and drain field .Depending how its done of course, above ground with the ugly berm deal, or completely under the ground, some of that question will be determined by the ground makeup, the rest will be what you are willing to spend.

11. jerryl

jerryl XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm in rushford new york. My well is 140 feet deep and it cost me $7500.

12. 1852legend

1852legend XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I dont have a clue if this applies to you but, my parents are on a small public water system that has bad water and is constantly going down so they decided to look into a well. They found out that when they got the water turned on when they moved in they had to sign somethig saying they would pay a minimum of like $30 a month even if they dont use the water at all. Since they learned that they scrapped the well idea. I dont kow if the company would turn them over to collectios or something if they just didnt pay it but it is total BS. I just wanted to give you a heads up about it.

13. Groo

Groo XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    I'd think there would be minimun level of service if they tried enforce that. if it is anforcable at all.

give them notice that they aren't doing good enough and you want trouble free water or out of the questionably legal contract.

14. Buffman

Buffman XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    LOL the well in my house was 15 feet deep. Well it was in the basement, so if it had been at grade, it would be like 25 feet or something. It was tested in good working order, but had to go to city water per FHA..

15. Frenchy

Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    I'm lucky where I'm located. If your land comprises more than 4 acres, you can have a lagoon. I have 8.04 acres.