Cost of AR-10 vs. AR-15

Discussion in 'AR Talk' started by thejoe, Oct 16, 2007.

1. thejoe

thejoe XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm wondering if I could even touch a .308 AR for near the price of a (lower priced) AR-15. I'm thinking $700-800 here. Can I get the .308 for that?

Secondarily, would I be able to get a 16" bbl and collapsible stock, or are most of the .308 variants longer barrell/fixed stock long range specific rifles?

The reason: I have an SKS that I like becuase it's 7.62. I want an AR and WILL have one someday, but I don't like the 5.56 as much (I like it a LOT, don't get me wrong) as the .308 or 7.62 round for quick put downs. I really want 1 CQB rifle, I guess.

I have trouble making decisions, you see, so I'd like an all encompassing rifle so I don't have to decide which one to shoot. (And I'd only have to buy 1 type of ammo).

joe

2. magnumize

magnumize XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I was in the same position you are in a fews months ago.A new (quality) AR-10 will run you somewhere between $1200-$1500.Yes you can get them in any configuration you want,or add what you want later.You may find a quality one "used" for around $1000 but dont get your hopes up for a Great AR-10 in the $700-$800 range.I think DPMS were the lowset costs ones I found during my research,Ive heard good and bad about them.I ended up not getting an AR-10,good luck to you.

3. magnumize

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    How about an AK of some sort,fun fun fun.Also you already have a SKS,same ammo:D.You could buy 2 GREAT AK's for the price of one decent AR-10.

4. Bidah

Bidah XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yep, magnumize is correct. The closest you could get would be to get the DPMS. Used AR-10's are not easy to come by, depending on what you want anyway. I looked for almost a year before finding what I wanted.

5. magnumize

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Just wondering,how much do you pay for your AR-10 mags?When I was looking they were for 1 hard to find and 2 kinda $$$.

6. rockerZ71

rockerZ71 XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0
    check out DPMS LR-TAC20, that thing looks kickass

7. Badshot

Badshot XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When I went looking for a semi-auto in .308 I dug around for AR-10's for a long while and the fact is that a good one will run you, as said earlier, $1200-1500 at the entry level. So what's a reasonable guy to do? FAL, CETME, PTR-91 .. easily as good and far more available, better aftermarket parts availability ect..ect.. I went with a PTR-91 cause I've always wanted a HK-91, just couldn't ever afford the price tag. So I get the same gun with an American made lower and talk about a ton of fun!

.308 will set you back a lot further in the ammo cost, but yeah, they are just way too much fun. The AR is a great platform, but there are better for less.

8. EricCartmann

EricCartmann XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I too am in the market for a AR-10 variant but most of them are pricey has hell. DPMS though are pretty reasonably priced.

I have seen DPMS .308 for as low as $800.

This one right here is only $855 buy it now price:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=82803198

I myself like this one:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=82604859

It is a .308 SASS set up and is about as cheap as it gets for an AR-10 variant. I have a friend that has a couple of DPMS rifles and he loves them. Their mags are only $35 while Armalite Mags are $50... and no the mags are not interchangeble (The AR10's are modified M14 mags).

9. thejoe

thejoe XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was afraid of that. I've looked into AK's, but I already have the semi-auto 7.62 covered. If I was going to go AK, I might as well stick with what I've got (cause it's probably good enough). But, I want an AR. I love them, want to personalize it, and I want something that will be on hand and ultra-reliable in case the SKS goes belly up. Thanks for the help, guys. I might look into in the future.

I guess I'll just stick with the AR-15 and find out a way to carry both at once so I don't have to decide.

joe

10. DanTheEldest

DanTheEldest XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0
    Anybody heard if RRA ever got their .308 AR off the ground? Last I heard they were still working out some teething problems.

11. chrisxd45t

chrisxd45t XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    unheard of.;)

You're right though, if you have a SKS, and are on a budget but still want other guns, you don't need an AK right away. The AK is lighter but the SKS is more accurate from what I've seen. Besides, you probably want a major cartridge anyway.

12. panther308

panther308 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Had a DPMS LR-308B and sold it off as I personally started having alot of feed/function issues had to send it back, when I got it back it was better but not a 100 % so I sold it off for a SA M1A which after pushing about 2500 thru it in the last 2 months has been without a single failure of any kind if you shop around you may be able to find a used one for about $900
    I really need to change the panther308 thing as I no longer own it

13. Tx1911

Tx1911 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Mags for an AR-10 ain't cheap. You would be better off getting an M1A and you can find mags cheaper ( not as cheap as AR-15 ... be cheaper than say a DPMS mag ).

14. dsr30

dsr30 XDTalk 500 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    if you like the 7.62 round you could go with an ar in the shorter 7.62x39. one of them is on the "to buy" list.

15. thejoe

thejoe XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I want a major round that will be accurate to a little longer distance than the SKS/7.62. From what I've heard, the SKS can only really be trusted to around 200 yds (I've heard that good marksmen can't shoot better than 3" groups at 100 yds with it, so I'd guess 200 yds would be pushing it). So, I'd like a major (ie common) caliber rifle (semi-auto) that will cover that range with a little more precision. The AR-15 is it, I think. So, I'll just save my pennies.