Corbon PowerBall not very good

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by agalindo, Feb 22, 2009.

1. agalindo

agalindo XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    Interesting data posted by DocGKR regarding Corbon PowerBall. Seems it doesn't penetrate the minimum recommended, and it performs very bad on barriers.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Rampant Colt

Rampant Colt XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Those bullet weights are much too light and lack the required sectional density to effectively penetrate intermediate obstacles and barriers [like arms, walls and sheetmetal]

The wound profile of PoweR'Ball in calibrated ballistic gel indicates rapid bullet expansion, rapid energy transfer and shallow penetration. This is what occurs when you overdrive a bullet's construction with high velocity. More is being lost than gained.

The wound profile of these rapid expanding, shallow penetrating handgun bullets are impressive-looking to folks that don't understand that penetration is vital, and arguably the key to producing reliable incapacitation. ..Not from "hydrostatic shock" or "ballistic pressure wave" as some companies or researchers would lead you to believe. There isn't enough evidence to hang your hat on with these iffy new theories. At low handgun velocity levels, bullet expansion and deep penetration is preferred over explosive expansion and shallow penetration like Glaser, Extreme Shock, RBCD, PoweR'ball and Magsafe have to offer.

If your pistol won't feed conventional JHP ammunition, you have more important issues that need addressing than your ammunition feed profile.
    Modern autoloading pistols ie; Glock HK, Sig, Springfield, etc, will feed all but the most flat, wadcutter-type cartridges without modification or sacrificing any reliability.

I will say this:
    If your pistol won't feed conventional JHP amo like Gold Dot, Golden Saber [especially Golden Saber!] Ranger, HST, your gun has something wrong with it, as these guns are designed to function with these types of cartridges.

fix yer gun, not yer ammo

3. Joeywhat

Joeywhat XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0
    Agreed. too light, too fast. Fast and light isn't necessarily bad, but there is a limit...and I think it's been crossed here.

4. xdm4life

xdm4life XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0
    +1 they just expand much to fast therefore stop too shallow. i think they should really only be used if you have feed issues with standard jhp.

speer gold dots FTW ;)

5. DigMe

DigMe XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Yesterday at the range there was a local LEO from a small town nearby doing his qualification. I asked him what they issue at his PD. He said they don't issue, officers choose their own and he chooses powerball for his .40. I asked him why and he spouted off velocity and foot/lbs. I mentioned the poor terminal performance (maybe I was out of line in that..I don't know..I hate to see a peace officer carrying subpar ammo) and he started saying some really creative stuff. When all was said and done the powerball will "crack an engine block but it won't travel through drywall" "it will flatten out to an inch in diameter" and it has "exceptional performance through windshields." I really wish I could have honestly let him know about the poor performance of powerball but I sensed that he had a lot of pride about it and plus who am I to him? I wouldn't trust me either had I just met me at the range.

6. Blatch

Blatch XDTalk 500 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    That .40 performance doesnt look too bad. I've got a box of them somewhere. Never shot any and probably wont. Just have them as part of my novelty/weird ammo collection.

Corbon should slap some big Nosler type ballistic tips on them. Then at least they would look badass and steal Extreme Shock market share. :roll:

7. HB of CJ

HB of CJ XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 12
    Wow, what can I say. I carry Powerball. Came across some, paid the money and that is what I use....FOR NOW. This sort of information is, in spite of I not wanting to hear it, exactly what I need to know.

Looks like I made another mistake. Well, that is how we learn. While on the subject, has anyone ever heard of or used Federal Expanding Full Metal Jacket .45 ammo? What exactly is this stuff? Is it any good?

Anyway, back to Powerball, maybe I will just shoot off the rest of what I have remaining and start looking for another Corbon round using that all copper Barnes bullet. My dealer is a Corbon stocking dealer. HB of CJ

Powerball Bo Bo Post

8. Ridgerunner665

Ridgerunner665 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Powerball is junk...not only that, it is junk that will get you killed.

Federals Expanding FMJ stuff is OK.

Just curious though...you're carrying a 45, why not use tried and proven ammo??? (230 grain XTP, SXT, RangerT, Golden Sabre, HydraShok, Gold Dot, HST, etc....230 grains of whatever flavor you like)

9. DigMe

DigMe XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    The Corbon DPX copper JHP is a well proven round and I think it's the only Corbon round I'd be willing to carry. Its very expensive though. Id rather buy Gold Dot 50 packs Save the efmj and powerball for places where they aren't allowed to carry JHP.

10. agalindo

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    I agree with DigMe, the only time I would carry EFMJ rounds is if it was illegal to carry HP. Stick to a good quality HP, Gold Dots, Rangers, HST, Golden Sabers, or the DPX.

11. nalioth

nalioth XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Scientifical studies are all well and good, but if you put 3 (or more) of anything center mass, I suspect your point will be made.

12. agalindo

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    In a perfect world you would be correct. Getting the threat to pose for you so you can do perfect angle, unobstructed, COM shots is the way to go. Now we just have to talk to the bad guy and have the agree to that.

13. nalioth

nalioth XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    That's why I said "3 (or more)" into COM.

That doesn't mean a perfect triple tap between the ribs right into the heart.

It means 3 solid hits into center mass (could be interspersed with non-center of mass hits, or even misses)

This is why they teach folks to keep shooting until the threat is neutralized.

14. agalindo

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    No argument here about shooting until the threat stops. I think it's simplifying things to say 3 shots COM will stop a threat. There have been documented cases just recently showing that 8 to 12 shots will take some time to stop a threat. Yes any ammo will make holes in a BG but the more I can edge my advantage the better for me and that means bigger and deeper holes. Bigger deeper holes cause more bleeding that shallow smaller holes or shallow larger holes and when it comes down to it, barring a lucky hit to the CNS, bleeding is what stops a threat.

15. nalioth

nalioth XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    I don't recall saying anything about 3 shot stops.