Concealed Carry on a bicycle

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by C-Bone, Jun 12, 2008.

1. C-Bone

C-Bone XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm a competitive cyclist and often ride with other riders who carry. Never given it much thought, other than actually being appreciative and supportive of it. In fact, one of the guys is a Judge here in town (though I don't ride much with him). One guy carries a North American Arms 5 shot .22, I' mnot sure what others carry. Well, recently a member of the local bike club was riding around a nearby town when a 1989 Ford Crown Victoria with 3 black males (this was the description given to the police) pulls along side of him. One of them pulls out a gun and starts cussing at him, waving it around, and points it at him. He said he thought he was going to die. He does not carry BTW. This has sparked a large debate amongst the local club as to whether cyclist should carry, if so, what, is it safe, etc. One club member said, "I hope anyone I ride with that is carrying doesn't pull out the gun without considering the innocent bystanders. I don't want to get caught in the cross-fire." It's fairly common to be threatened by cars while riding a bicycle, I've been cussed at, ran off the road, lectured by toothless rednecks that I'm breaking the law, even had a full coke can thrown at me by a car going the opposite direction going 60 mph. That left a lump on my shin for months. How sad that it has come to this. So anyone else carry while cycling or have any thoughts on it? Is a .22 even worth carrying? Best way to carry? (Cycling clothing doesn't lend itself to Concealment. The local judge uses a fanny pack). <small></small>

2. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +136 / 0
    Thats why I am a mountain biker only. Ditto for my motorcycle...off road only. Cars....especially in rural areas...love to mess with cyclists on the road.

Riding a bicycle on the roads in East Texas? Thats an extreme sport in and of itself! I wouldn't ride my bike on the roads there without an M-60 mounted on the handlebars. Some toothless redneck is bound to run me off the road or whack me with an axe handle....no thank you.

LOL

- brickboy240

3. ForTehNguyen

ForTehNguyen XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    a pocket pistol or snubnose might suit a cyclist, depending how much extra weight you can tolerate. I wouldnt use a .22 Did that cyclist get robbed?

4. Steve_o113

Steve_o113 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just bought a fanny pack for when i ride. It works great and has a water bladder with it so its duel purpose. my .45 service fits fine in it too

5. eyesopened

eyesopened XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. If all you got is a .22 then it's better than an empty hand right? With the right shot placement, a .22 will kill someone. Remember that news story about the guy trying to drill a hole for the tv cable? He shot through the side of a house and hit is wife by mistake and managed to kill her.

BTW, I'm annoyed at bicyclist that ride on the road when a perfectly good sidewalk is available. I don't run them off the road, but still it annoys me that I have to slow down or pass them. Same goes for joggers.

6. aeneas26

aeneas26 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You might want to look at a Kel-Tec or the new Ruger LCP. I think that given the clothing you wear, a fanny pack is probably a good call.

7. Steve_o113

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In Oregon its illegal to ride on the sidewalk, you can walk your bike but not ride it

8. C-Bone

C-Bone XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nope, eventually they drove off.

I understand your frustration, and when riding in the city I try to stick to neighborhood roads, etc. But also realize that in many cities, like Austin or Portland, it is illegal to ride on the sidewalk in certain areas. Also, riding on sidewalks at ~18-20 mph hardly makes sense as dodging pedestrians would be impossible. Maybe with more and more people commuting on bicycles due to gas, people with become more tolerant of commuters on bikes.

9. C-Bone

C-Bone XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think a fanny pack is the only reasonable solution, I just don't know if I can bring myself to wear one! :p Thanks for the gun recommendations!

10. C-Bone

C-Bone XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've questioned my sanity many a time while on a back road staring down the grill of a dually with a shotgun rack. I've just never thought it would be necessary to carry. It's just depressing.

11. Carnivorous

Carnivorous XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +157 / 0
    Put your AR in a guitar case, and off you go!

[​IMG]

12. daveIT

daveIT XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    At one of the football fields I ride by on my bike everyday there was a shootout between rival "gang" members caused by someone getting tackled too hard. Police suspect 3 guns in shooting: Reka shooting | adn.com

There was another guy that went nuts and started shooting people all over town.

adn.com | crime : Police hunt man who shot woman jogging on bike trail

I've seen drunk people harrassing people and there are a number of rapes that happen along the bicycle trails.

Not to mention random crap like this...I drove through that intersection about 10 mins before this happened.

adn.com | crime : Charges reduced in election-day gunfight

So yeah when my XD9SC gets here I'll be packing.

13. ForTehNguyen

ForTehNguyen XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    people always seem to "disappear" on jogging/biking trails its pretty scary

14. C-Bone

C-Bone XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Think an XD subcompact would be small enough to carry on a bicycle?

15. Steve_o113

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes... i carry a service