Springfield XD Forum banner

Concealed carry - loaded or unloaded chamber with the XD?

• Loaded chamber

• Unloaded chamber

Concealed carry - loaded chamber?

41K views 98 replies 85 participants last post by  Cuda66 
#1 ·
When I carry concealed I often carry with the chamber unloaded. While I understand the XD has several safeguards against accidental discharge, I find myself unholstering and reholstering the gun throughout the day (for example, I might take it off and lock it in the car before going into the bank, etc).

I have never had an accidental trigger pull, even with the chamber empty. I guess I'm just paranoid about that one in a million chance I could be re-holstering and there could be something in the way of the trigger.

Should I be worried about that sort of accidental discharge? I understand that I am greatly decreasing the effectiveness of the gun as a self defense weapon by carrying on an empty chamber. What are the alternatives?

Thank you for your time.

#78 ·
Here is a good video of what it is like to carry a pistol with no round chambered:

#79 ·
I too am was kind of nervous at first to carry with one in the chamber. Practice the correct saftey procedures so it becomes second nature. It's not easy to shoot a gun on accident when you are consistant and safe.

#80 ·
I too am was kind of nervous at first to carry with one in the chamber. Practice the correct saftey procedures so it becomes second nature. It's not easy to shoot a gun on accident when you are consistant and safe.
Its just about impossible. If you follow the rules even if you screw up and have a ND you will not hurt anyone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#82 ·
Always chambered. Always.

#85 ·
i must not have made myself clear. i meant there is almost nowhere i have to worry aboutt carrying and running afoul of thee law, as in i don't have to leave it in the car unless i'm going to a courthouse or the post office, which is extremely rare. oregon has vaery few restrictions was my point.

Glad you cleared that up because I was wondering the same thing.

#86 ·
What pisses me off is when someone bitches out someone that asks this question. There are a lot of new gun owners and not everyone knows what to do or what is best. It's places like this that we learn. If you don't like the thread title or what you find inside then stop reading. /end rant]

I haven't owned any firearms since the 70's but kept my CCW permit renewed. When I got my pistol this February I was pretty nervous handling and carrying it, last pistol was a 22. Carrying in public was surrealistic even concealed! After a while I got used to handling and carrying. Today it is just a natural behavior but one I treat with respect and caution, never get complacent that's when accidents happen.

Initially I carried without one in the pipe for a month or so but this site and numerous threads convinced me this was just dumb. Now it's always in condition 1. If you need your pistol you probably won't have time to rack the slide or as another poster pointed out you will give away your position and that you are armed. If you think carrying is required or just a cautious behavior, C1 is the only thing that makes sense otherwise you might as well be carrying a hammer.

As to holstering/unholstering I don't see the concern. My trigger finger is always straight out so it is not possible to fire the gun. It's funny really cuz if I handle a caulking gun or staple gun that has a trigger my finger is straight out! I guess that's muscle memory but you can't go wrong being careful. Whether pulling the pistol out or pushing it in keep your finger straight. FYI I use an owb holster.

#87 ·
Not having a hot gun so to say while inherently more safe is also inherently more slow.. which kinda (for myself anyway) defeats the purpose of carrying for self defense... I'm already not the fastest gun in the west so why handicap myself anymore just have to make sure to practice safe draw and fire drills and remembering fundamentals of firearm safety... Mainly keeping your booger hooker of the bang switch.

#88 ·
I carry my XDS chambered for two reasons: 1. I believe that's the only way to carry concealed, but 2. I have trouble racking a round into the chamber with that particular model. I consistently experience FTF problems. Instead, I lock the slide back, insert a magazine, and release the slide. That always works. Therefore, for me, round chambered is not just the preferred way, but it's the only way.

#92 ·
Have someone knock you to the ground then continue coming after you. See for your self what chance you have of pulling out your gun and racking the slide. Of course use an empty safe gun with maybe a snap cap in the mag.
I often wonder even in this scenario what are your chances of getting your gun from under a tucked in shirt? I am guessing it could be about the same as carrying with an empty chamber.
I carry a live loaded revolver owb or in my front pocket.

#93 ·
I generally open carry in about the 3:00 position I occasionally carry in a SOB holster slid around to the 5:00 position when discretion is called for. I always have one in the chamber.
Don't know about most states but in my home state of Georgia this is legal. However in my closest neighboring state (Tennessee) it is illegal to have a round chambered.

#94 ·
The first few days I carried, I did not have one in the chamber. I was simply trying to get used to the feel of the gun. Now that I am used to the gun my XDsc is +1 every time it is on my hip.

#95 ·
If you are in a oh crap moment and your heartbeat just went up from 70 to 135 and that big rush of adrenalin just hit you like a ton of bricks, I'm not gonna be thinking about too much of anything but to draw, rotate to threat, and engage within three seconds.
The quicker you are, the better your odds are that you will walk away and not get a stretcher ride later.
Drawing a firearm in condition 3 means time wasted in chambering that round. It also introduces a chance, however slight it may be, for the gun to jam when you can not afford it.

#96 ·
I generally open carry in about the 3:00 position I occasionally carry in a SOB holster slid around to the 5:00 position when discretion is called for. I always have one in the chamber.
Don't know about most states but in my home state of Georgia this is legal. However in my closest neighboring state (Tennessee) it is illegal to have a round chambered.
What the hell use is a gun on your hip not chambered?

#98 ·
Yes you can carry chambered in Tennessee. You cannot carry a rifle or shotgun in your automobile chambered though (unless in fear of your life the law says).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.