Springfield XD Forum banner

Concealed carry - loaded or unloaded chamber with the XD?

• Loaded chamber

• Unloaded chamber

Concealed carry - loaded chamber?

41K views 98 replies 85 participants last post by  Cuda66 
#1 ·
When I carry concealed I often carry with the chamber unloaded. While I understand the XD has several safeguards against accidental discharge, I find myself unholstering and reholstering the gun throughout the day (for example, I might take it off and lock it in the car before going into the bank, etc).

I have never had an accidental trigger pull, even with the chamber empty. I guess I'm just paranoid about that one in a million chance I could be re-holstering and there could be something in the way of the trigger.

Should I be worried about that sort of accidental discharge? I understand that I am greatly decreasing the effectiveness of the gun as a self defense weapon by carrying on an empty chamber. What are the alternatives?

Thank you for your time.

#54 ·
Here's an interactive map that will show what states have reciprocity with each of the other states. I was surprised to see that Washington State doesn't honor a resident's permit from Oregon - yet would not only honor my Florida resident's permit from as far away as possible in the "lower 48" - but also a non-resident permit from Florida (maybe everyone should just come to Florida to get their permits). :)

I'm still waiting for mine Oregon Permit to come but I just receive my AZ Permit and after looking at the map I see the AZ don't honor OR but OR honor AZ Permit.

#59 ·
I have a kydex iwb holster from foxx. While in the holster, its nearly impossible for the trigger to engage. While re-holstering, I have my thumb over the slide and my palm is off of the grip.

Someone wanted to argue with me once that a dog can trigger your gun..I just laughed in my head. It's a personal preference, some people do it because they have kids in the house.

Me personally, my gun never leaves my side unless im in a bank or on university campus. The lady even gets mad when i fall asleep with it iwb...haha that foxx iwb hybrid is comfy.

#60 ·
go ahead..... leave it without one in the chamber..... will make a great club when it needs to go bang instead!!!

one in the pipe for me at all times.

#61 ·
I have an XD-S, and to try to manipulate that heavy slide under the stress of an attack, doesn't make sense to me. Since the danger is really on the re-holstering of this gun, I've made it a practice of putting the thumb of my shooting hand on the back of the slide just below the rear sights. Shifting my thumb in this manner gets it off the grip safety, and with my trigger finger pointed straight along the slide, I'm off the trigger safety as well. This gives me a good grip to safely guide the gun back into the holster. And, use the same thumb to push it fully into the holster. I recommend you practice re-holstering in this manner. You may find that it works for you, and you are comfortable with a loaded chamber.

#62 ·
Mag loaded and one in the chamber.
In my mind, thats a no brainer. When you in a high pressure/high stress situation all you should have to do is: assess the threat, pull your weapon, center of mass, pull trigger....
I've seen those surveillance videos that most of you have seen where the victim pulls his weapon on perpetrator, pulls trigger and...nothing. He forgot to flip the safety off.
You train, train, and train but in "that" situation how will you react?
I want to minimize all obstacles between me and the threat.
Whether it be racking a round or flipping off the safety.
This was a major factor in my choice of the XD sub compact.

#65 ·
I'm with WADO on this issue. If the time comes that I "must" take my firearm out of the holster, I want to make sure that I do everything right, because the stress level just went through the roof. I want my training and intent to govern. Out of the holster, into whatever position I must use because of the situation, Hard Front sight on my threat, Press, Press, Press, until the threat is no longer a threat, check my surroundings, check to make sure no one else is hurt, Slowly and safely holster my firearm. Attend to the things that need attending to. Calling 911 for medical/police assistance. Not having a round in the chamber will lead to all kinds of problems with doing those things. It's also a reason I chose the XD(M) Compact as my primary weapon for CCW. It works & It's Safe.

#67 ·
I've been ccw for exactly one week now. I have it without one in pipe at this time as I get comfortable with it. I expect to switch to loaded in the near future, just very careful as I get used to it.

I've been shooting for many years, even IDPA for last 6 so I know what's going on. I just never had a gun loaded that I wasn't on the range with muzzle down range. But will be there soon!

#68 ·
One in a chamber. But its up to you how prepared and how long to respond to a treat you want to take while your wife or gf is screaming. GA has a Stand Your Ground law. If i feel threatened, i can use deadly force. Brandish a weapon within 50ft of me and your sighted on.

#70 ·
Here is a scenario for you.
You are somewhere and perhaps you hear someone you don't know in the next room. You have your gun with empty chamber. You think will the perp hear you racking your slide? Will the perp then come in shooting or maybe shoot through the walls at you? Or will the perp demand you throw your gun out onto the floor or kill your family?
So now what do you think about carrying empty chamber?
Apply that to any situation, would having to rack a slide be more dangerous to you than a loaded chamber? Only you can decide that.

#72 ·
Here is a scenario for you.
You are somewhere and perhaps you hear someone you don't know in the next room. You have your gun with empty chamber. You think will the perp hear you racking your slide? Will the perp then come in shooting or maybe shoot through the walls at you?
Yes, the APD Homicide Detective who instructed the first half of the CCW Class I recently attended said something similar about people who keep pump shotguns for home defense. While a shotgun is an excellent close quarters defensive weapon (for those who have been properly trained), it is simply a naive urban myth to believe that anyone determined (and or crazy) enough to break into your house - knowing that it is occupied no less - would simply soil their underwear and flee in terror just because they hear you pump the action.

In reality, you have just tipped your hand that you are armed and they will simply commence shooting through the wall to kill everyone in the room.

Moral of the story - keep any weapon you plan to use for immediate personal defense in condition 1 at all times.

#73 ·
Round chambered in a good IWB holster - like a Crossbreed for example.

When using "mexican carry", then I don't have a round chambered, but that's not the preferred method.

I'm getting ready to go for a walk with the dogs on our property - using a Blackhawk CQC holster - open carry - for my XD40.

#74 ·
keep one in the chamber...
When you keep it ready to go, you will gain an extra round (in some low capacity guns this is a definite plus) and in a defensive situation where you have to use your weak hand to deflect an attack you wont have to worry about drawing a useless plastic club.

When holstering i put my thumb on the striker indicator, a practice you should do even with a hammer fired gun to ensure nothing manipulates the trigger without your knowledge. On an XD when you place your thumb on the striker indicator you are releasing the back strap safety, positioning your thumb so you can push the gun into the holster while ensuring the slide doesn't move back in the process.

Now the down side... it's not as dummy proof as a unloaded chamber, but then again if your that concerned then might as well just have the gun completely unloaded for the complete dummy proofing.

Honestly if you are not comfortable with carrying you XD loaded and ready to go, then you should probably look at different carry gun/options. Even a knife would be more effective than an empty gun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.