Concealed carry - loaded chamber?

Discussion in 'The Polling Place' started by Asclepius, Jan 8, 2009.

?

Concealed carry - loaded or unloaded chamber with the XD?

1. Loaded chamber

2. Unloaded chamber

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Asclepius

Asclepius XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When I carry concealed I often carry with the chamber unloaded. While I understand the XD has several safeguards against accidental discharge, I find myself unholstering and reholstering the gun throughout the day (for example, I might take it off and lock it in the car before going into the bank, etc).

I have never had an accidental trigger pull, even with the chamber empty. I guess I'm just paranoid about that one in a million chance I could be re-holstering and there could be something in the way of the trigger.

Should I be worried about that sort of accidental discharge? I understand that I am greatly decreasing the effectiveness of the gun as a self defense weapon by carrying on an empty chamber. What are the alternatives?

Thank you for your time.

2. Spawnz

Spawnz XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +163 / 0
    Try and get used to holstering and unholstering your XD without a full grip on the gun. What I mean is......make sure you DO NOT have the grip safety engaged and you should not have any problems. Just make sure the web/palm of you hand is a little back from the grip safety. If the grip safety is not engaged, even if you should catch the trigger on something, you will not have a discharge.

Carrying a weapon without a round in the chamber is damned near useless.

Alternatives? If you are really concerned about it, get the XD45ACP Service model with the additional thumb safety. The XD45ACP Tactical model also comes with a thumb safety but the service model is a better choice for concealment.

3. rabidrabbit2727

rabidrabbit2727 XDTalk Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would definitely keep a full, solid, shooting grip on the gun while unholstering. Re-holstering is where I would be worried about an ND. I make sure to shift my hand to disengage the grip safety when I re-holster.

4. Hubs

Hubs XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Carrying unloaded is just asking for trouble, IMO. One may not have the time to rack a round when the SHTF!

5. xdm4life

xdm4life XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0
    agreed, while i dont carry mine. no ccw yet. it is almost pointless to carry a weapon with no round in the chamber. think about it you will only use it if your life is in danger. so if your life is in grave danger and you need to use deadly force, your most likely not going to have time for the racking of a round. unless you get a nice bad guy and ask him for time out.

6. mr1incred1ble

mr1incred1ble XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0
    glad i live in oregon because there is almost no place i need to worry about carrying. but honestly, you need to figure SOMETHING out to enable carrying while chambered. how dumb (or dead) would you feel if something happened and someone got the jump on you while you were racking the slide? i remember the first time i was actually carrying locked and loaded (army in bosnia). it felt strange because every time i had ever chambered a round ever since i was a kid, it was because it was about to go bang, and it just felt weird walking or driving around like that, but i got used to it. you can't become complacent, but you can't be cautious to the point of paranoia either. you have to to be both comfortable and respectful with your weapon.

7. Dragon Talon TSi AWD

Dragon Talon TSi AWD XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Just like you Hubs. If the $hit hits the fan, you will not have time to unholster, then rack back, then aim and squeeze. The rate of an accidental discharge on a pistol with our double saftey standards is very slim to none. I forgot who it was, but they dropped our XD with a loaded chamber, with a mag inserted, and one test without a mag inserted, from like a 50 ft drop. Nothing, they just broke the chamber indicator.

On a personal issue though, condition 1 whenever I leave my doorstep, condition 3 when I am at home. Condition 4 is when I am cleaning. Other than that, I am always ready. One shot, one kill, ready to die, but never will. Semper Fi... But hey, I know most will agree.

8. RogueXD

RogueXD XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0
    I have to agree, one in the pipe. I too was not used to NOT having a safety. A short time and watching the torture test, carry one in the pipe all the time!!

9. waterhead

waterhead XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I never want to have to rake the slide in case of a bad situation so one more for loaded.

10. usmamg

usmamg XDTalk 50K Member

Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    Why carry if the pipe is empty? The purpose of carry is defeated with an empty weapon

11. community

community XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +68 / 0
    i keep my xd9sc in the holster, right hip. if i take the weapon off, i unbuckle belt, remove two loops, and pull holster off. Works for me.

12. Wired

Wired XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +56 / 0
    When you're re-holstering, keep your bugger hook off the trigger and you're your palm off the grip safety. Then there's now way for it to go off.

[​IMG]

13. xd.40nut

xd.40nut XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Being a fellow Oregonian, why don't you carry into a bank? If you carry concealed, and have a permit, you are good to go. Just do not show it off, flash it, jsut keep it concealed.
    Banks are NOT a Federal building, the money is Federally protected, but they are Not a federal building, therefore, you can carry concealed in a bank.

Full magazine, and One in the Pipe at ALL times.

As always, Stay Safe.

14. kaizenboi

kaizenboi XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +113 / 0
    locked and loaded! :D

15. mr1incred1ble

mr1incred1ble XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0
    lol i didn't look to see where the OP was from. i just assumed he was not from our great state because there is no reason to leave your gun in the car to go to the bank, and lots of reasons to take it with (ever heard of bank robbers?) lol. if you live in oregon, you can carry pretty everywhere...