Coffee thread

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by turbosupra1313, Jan 13, 2012.

1. turbosupra1313

turbosupra1313 XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +363 / 10
    Ok, so I, as many here, cannot start my morning without coffee. I would not call myself an expert in coffee, but I do know what I like. I figured it's time that a coffee thread be started, since I haven't seen one since about 07-08. Just this morning I am in the middle of our third pot of pressed coffee, first time I can remember ever having coffee from a coffee press. It's different, but I like it. I can tell the difference in flavor over my usual folgers the office buys in bulk.... At home it's k-cups, love the donut shop. I am also a fan of Tim Hortons coffee, but hard to get in Indiana unless I drive through Ohio of visit buffalo.

Feel free to let people here know what you're drinking, what you like, what you don't like, any any other useful/useless knowledge you can impart on your xd buddy's.

2. drs1321

drs1321 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +318 / 5
    I'm a Green Mountain fan. I have a keurig at home and at work. I like Green Mountain Nantucket Blend, VT country blend, and Dark Magic. Black, none of that cream and sugar nonsense.

3. sarah

sarah XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Community Dark.

4. XDCajun

XDCajun XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    +1 for Community Dark Roast

5. iDominate

iDominate XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok, I am hooked on Starbucks. I know alot of people don't like it. I happen to love the Bold flavors in their arsenal. Komodo Dragon, Verona, Sumatra, Gold Coast, Espresso...
    Not a fan of the Italian or French roasts.

That is what I drink just about every morning. I really enjoy a french press now and then they are really flavorful. I should buy a grinder and a french press for my house but I just haven't gotten around to it.

6. Spammy_H

Spammy_H XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 1
    Either Cafe Bustelo or World Market Colombian whole bean.

7. LagerHead

LagerHead Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm an Ethiopian Yirgacheffe man myself. I like pretty much any African coffee, and Brazilian. Costa Rican when I'm in the mood for something a little smoother, but I can't stand Colombian. You can keep your Mexican and Argentinian coffees too. Sumatran is a good fall back when I can't find my favorite African coffees.

Ethiopia is the birthplace of coffee. They take coffee extremely seriously there and their beans can't be beat. Kenya AA isn't far behind. If you like really earthy flavor in your coffee, Brazilian is a good bet. You can almost taste the dirt it was grown in, in a good way.

I only use burr grinders. As a matter of fact, my Capresso just bit the dust this morning. Luckily I had a backup. After that it goes into the French Press, stir, wait 5 minutes, and pour.

Oh yea, I love my coffee.

8. bowl443

bowl443 XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    We have a Keurig at home, and one at work as well.

I'm not picky, and drink pretty much anything as long as it has caffeine.

The Folgers are all good, Donut Shop is good, French Roast, all of Emeril's offerings, and for a good kick, Revv.

9. taylor6400

taylor6400 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I just got a Keurig for Christmas. I really wish you could brew bigger cups of coffee but other than that i love it! So far i have liked the following:

Donut Shop (dont like Donut House)
    Emeril's Bold
    Green Mountain Nantucket Blend
    Jet Fuel

There was a couple others i tried that liked too but dont remember. I havent been a big fan of the Italian Roasts.

10. Pugs

Pugs XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm hooked on an organic Sumatran dark roast from Anodyne Coffee here in Milwaukee. And no matter what it is, I like my coffee to be black, no cream, no sugar, black and bitter like my soul.

11. ta2dave76

ta2dave76 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0
    Every now and then ill have a cup. Usually if I'm on a ride and its cold. I take it black, unless someone has baileys. Doesn't matter to me, it all usually taste the same unless its some fancy blend. One I liked had a smokey almond aftertaste.

Other than that more than one cup and my insides revolt!

12. xdmp22

xdmp22 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I do enjoy all these yuppie coffees and the frapa-mocha-chino-latte's, however.....

My favorite is taking the cheapest coffee I can find and use it instead of hot water when mixing up packets of cocoa.....

Add a packet to cup...add cheap coffee and stir.....ghetto mocha at its finest

13. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +454 / 5
    Not a fan of the mocha, macciato or most Starbucks blended drinks. Give me coffee, half & half and a dash of sugar and I am good.

Some of the Starbucks bold coffees are pretty good, like Sumatra, French, Italian, Gold Coast and Ethiopian. I can take or leave their lighter coffees, though.

Iced coffee is good when its hot outside, but hot coffee when it gets below 60 degrees.

At home, I brew Bustelo or Legal Mexican coffee.

- brickboy240

14. turbosupra1313

turbosupra1313 XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +363 / 10
    Like this thread. Lots of new coffees to try!

15. cce1302

cce1302 XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I like all the dark coffees (African and Indonesian and that sort) as well as most latin/south American coffees.

Keurig-way too expensive. I'd have to spend about 4 bucks per day to keep up my regular coffee intake (on top of the inital hundred-dollar investment for the machine). Also, I sometimes get a plasticky aftertaste from those.

One of these days I'll break down and get a french press. They really bring out the good flavors, even in inexpensive coffee. I like to grind my coffee fresh.

I have an espresso pot which I use on occasion. It really isn't rocket surgery as those "baristas" would like you to believe. I make lattes, mochas, and cappuchino (in addition to straight espresso for "those days").

My typical roast right now--partly due to finances and partly because I do like it--is Folger's Black Silk. Once the situation improves, I'll add a bit of variety back in.