Cleaning my XDM 40

Discussion in 'XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance' started by dongeorgio, Jul 15, 2010.

1. dongeorgio

dongeorgio XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have an XDM 40 with the stainless slide. I know how to field strip it but am unclear on how to clean it. The following are my issues:

What product (or type of product) do I use to clean which parts?

What parts do I oil and how much do I use?

Do I wipe everything I have oiled before I put my gun back together?

Any other tips you may have will be greatly appreciated. I have always had revolvers and have no experience cleaning a pistol like this one and I don't want to screw it up.

Thanks,
    George

2. CHolleman

CHolleman XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Funny, I'm in the same boat. There has to be a sticky, but I haven't seen one. Maybe Youtube?

3. chameleon

chameleon XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  4. IdntityCrisis

IdntityCrisis XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks chameleon thanks to you I was able to keep my hands on my sandwich and learn to clean my xdm at the same time :p

5. Vicarious Cynic

Vicarious Cynic XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    can I google "hands on sammich and clean a gun"

6. chameleon

chameleon XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I aim to please ;-)

7. dongeorgio

dongeorgio XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

I appreciate the google search but, as when I did it, it showed varying results. Different people use different products and clean different parts. While one guy sprays the hell out of his entire gun with rem oil, another uses a few drops and cautions to overuse. I was wondering if there is an official site or if the members of this forum can come to a consensus of what is the best approach.

What products should be used?

What parts should be cleaned?

How much product should be used?

Should I wipe down any or all of the parts after oiling?

Please help folks because you tube and google have a million people who all have different opinions.

Does Springfield have an official site with directions or some way to find out the official protocol?

Thanks,

Don Georgio

8. XD357sig

XD357sig XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    First, buy a pistol cleaning kit for the .40 caliber. Tetra Gun makes one with all the necessary equipment for around $20.00. Buy a can of Break Free CLP. That's all you will need. The back of your manual has cleaning directions. You don't want to put oil in the striker/firing pin area. Otherwise you can oil all metal parts, just rub off the excess with a clean patch or rag. The CLP or the oil in the kit will clean your bore easily. I left out you need to buy a .40 caliber cleaning jag to use with your patches.

9. dongeorgio

dongeorgio XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks, much appreciated!

10. jgreg

jgreg XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Go get a Bore Snake and Break Free oil. About $18 and a little goes a long way.

11. stevieachi

stevieachi XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You can also use non-chlorinated brake cleaner as a degreaser...at walmart it's under $4 for a nice big spray can. I use it and you can tell it really cuts the previous oil off. I heard about it on here just make sure it's non-chlorinated or it can damage the polymer frame. It's clearly labeled on the bottle.

I'm new to this as well and have been using a combo of the brake cleaner, a hoppes cleaning kit for the patches and bore brush, q tips, nylon/brass brushes, and weapon shield (grease on rails / top of barrel + where it rubs the slide), weapon shield oil from their needle applicator for some VERY light oil on the rest of the outside of the barrel / outside chamber, light coat for the guide rod and spring. Seems good so far! I'm developing my method and getting faster, you'll read 500 ways online. I think the main thing for the xdm is don't oil the striker area at all...so don't drip oil into the firing pin hole, or the back where the striker spring is. I just spray my slide with the brake cleaner and use the brushes and q tips to pick up the gunk.

12. Travdaddy82

Travdaddy82 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i had a question to throw out there too .. i got the BI Tone .45 stainless and i hear that stainless has a tendency to rust... i always clean my firearms after every time i use them and once a month regardless.. would that be enough or would i need to frequent my cleaning.. also if it rusts would it damage the gun or would the rust be able to just be rubbed off (ewwww) kinda like rust on a car's brake rotors

13. Travdaddy82

Travdaddy82 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i found this video but still wondering about the rust removal / preventer

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD4NhlTXyf0]YouTube - XDM Field Strip And Cleaning[/ame]

14. RangerMed

RangerMed XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My wife works in a hand surgery clinic and she tells me, "You would be surprised how many times we get patients who come in after shooting themselves in the hand, some of them more than once! And they all have done it while CLEANING their guns!" Isn't there a common sense law that says dissassemble before cleaning?? I mean c'mon!!! This really isn't related to your post sir, it just brought something to mind reading yours! Take care all!

15. Sublimeon24s

Sublimeon24s XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I use Eezox as my cleaner on the entire gun (inside and out) except the striker channel. I use Rem oil on my recoil spring assembly and a final coat inside the barrel after cleaning with the Eezox. I use gun butter on all the lube points (amazing stuff especially on the slide rails)