Cleaning Magazines

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by DGlide04, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Dec 8, 2016 #1
    DGlide04

DGlide04 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +85 / 0
    So I have a few 10-round magazines for my Ruger Mark III that I've noticed are begining to "stick" for lack of a better term. I was at the range last night and found that the springs were not pushing the round all of the way to the top of the magazine which caused a few failure to feeds. I've shot thousands of rounds through the MK III and is seems like the magazines are in need of a good crud removal and general cleaning. It's not the pistol as that is cleaned after nearly every trip to the range.

Disassembling the mags is pretty straight forward, what I'd like to have some input on is the the cleaning and possible application of a dry lube (brand/spray, etc.) to keep them in overall good condition. There is not much to them but at over $25,00 a piece, I'd like to keep them fully functioning for as long as possible.

Any (helpful) info would be appreciated.

2. Dec 8, 2016 #2
    Amish_ninjas

Amish_ninjas XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +2,829 / 19
    Magazines are consumables. Like tires on your car. At some point they will wear out. I use compressed air and wipe them out with a dry cloth. No lube dry or otherwise. When they cease functioning properly I change out springs/followers or toss them out.

3. Dec 8, 2016 #3
    DevJames

DevJames XDTalk 15K Member

Ratings:
    +3,730 / 32
    I hold them above my head so the pages won't get stuck together.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 4
  4. Dec 8, 2016 #4
    TSiWRX

TSiWRX XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +1,626 / 7
    ^ Unfortunately, this is just the harsh truth of it.

Tires, shocks, and brakes for your car costs a bunch of money, too, DGlide04, but as with those components goes your magazines.

Yes, they're not cheap - but they are consumables.

Try looking for a replacement spring, first. Brownell's carries a lot of OEM components, including small components, and they have searchable schematics. Ruger carries the Mk.II/III magazine spring at $2 a pop. With the amount of usage you've had with the gun, more than likely, the failures to feed - magazine induced - are going to be related to the magazine spring. Try gently stretching out the magazine spring to see if that doesn't temporarily solve the issue - if it does, then it's a good indication that you simply need new springs (as stretching the spring will take it beyond its service specs).

Even if you end up replacing the magazine, you can still keep the new magazine spring as a service replacement. :)

I keep my magazines free of lubricants, even dry-lube.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  5. Dec 8, 2016 #5
    Texas40

Texas40 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +450 / 2
    Spend a 100 buy 3/4 of them toss the defective ones.
    Every time I buy a new semi pistol I get at least 3 additional mags. As they require it they will be replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Dec 10, 2016 #6
    AR180B

AR180B XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +3,598 / 8
  7. Dec 10, 2016 #7
    Kaboom

Kaboom XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +1,313 / 29
    Pull apart the mag, spray CLP inside and run one of those plastic bore brushes that come with pistols nowadays up down and around inside the mag. Hose the inside down with non-chlorinated brake cleaner and put it all back together. If it still sticks toss it or use it for failure drills.
    I'm a cheap bastage and loath throwing anything away but when my Daewoo OEM mag rainbowed a half dozen rounds out of the eject port one day the mag went straight in the trash.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Dec 10, 2016 #8
    Jimbo1

Jimbo1 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +866 / 6
    IMG_4851.JPG

9. Dec 10, 2016 #9
    DevJames

DevJames XDTalk 15K Member

Ratings:
    +3,730 / 32
    Get a harbor freight sonic cleaner and a jug of clp.

It may or may not explode.

10. Dec 12, 2016 #10
    DGlide04

DGlide04 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +85 / 0
    Well, thank you all for the helpful :rolleyes: suggestions,. I have 5 of the Mark III magazines and took 4 of them apart yesterday, cleaned them up good and put them back together, leaving the 5th as a sort of test mag the next time I go to the range. There was a large amount of crud in each magazine I cleaned and after putting them back together, the follower and spring seem to work easier. Just as a precaution, I ordered new springs from Ruger with a couple of spares, $2.00 each, pretty cheap preventative measure.

Once i get the cleaned (no new springs yet) mags to the range, I'll see how they perform vs. the mag that wasn't cleaned to see how they do. I'm guessing cleaning the mags and the new springs when they finally get here will fix my issues.