Springfield XD Forum banner

Clays and 9mm Reloading

17K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  fredj338 
#1 ·
Looking for specific reloading info from 9mm using Clay's powder. I use Clays for my .45 and would like to stick with one powder for my handguns.

Anyone using Clays for 9mm, any weight, and care to share your data?

Thanks

#3 ·
Looking for specific reloading info from 9mm using Clay's powder. I use Clays for my .45 and would like to stick with one powder for my handguns.

Anyone using Clays for 9mm, any weight, and care to share your data?

Thanks
I have been working with Clays in my .45acp and cast 200 gr SWC bullets. 3.6 gr seems to work OK. What accurate loads have come up with?

I will be working up some 9mm loads with cast 125gr RN bullets. I will be starting at 3.1 gr and working up. I load 3.1 under 158Gr TC bullets in my .38spl. They shoot accurately in all my revolvers and in two leaver action carbines.

Hope we can help each other more.

#4 ·
I have been working with Clays in my .45acp and cast 200 gr SWC bullets. 3.6 gr seems to work OK. What accurate loads have come up with?

I will be working up some 9mm loads with cast 125gr RN bullets. I will be starting at 3.1 gr and working up. I load 3.1 under 158Gr TC bullets in my .38spl. They shoot accurately in all my revolvers and in two leaver action carbines.

Hope we can help each other more.
Not much to work upto:
125 GR. LCN Hodgdon Clays .356" 1.125" 2.9 899 22,700 CUP 3.3 993 30,900 CUP
I do NOT like Clays & other uberfsat powders, especially in high pressure carts. You can go from ok to over pressure in 0.1gr. Your OAL is too short or bullet setback, & your pressure will spike. too spooky in my own test. JUst not worth it to save 21/0 of a penny on powder. If you want one powder for both 9mm & 45acp, WST is a greatone, burns cooler, better accuracy & a bit better loading range. HP38/W231 is another good choice.

#5 ·
One of the first powders I used in loading .45ACP was Clays. Burnt very clean and gave very good accuracy. Since those days, I have gone to slower powders which I believe to be a bit more safe. I currently load for the 9mm using Win 231, have used it in .45 ACP before with good results, and have never owned a .40 but that may be next. Use a powder that will allow for a margin of error, but except none!

#6 ·
Thanks for the info guys... I really like Clays and or Titegroup for my .45. I am not looking for max power, in fact, I'm looking for soft shooting load, that just make power factor for competition, plus a little for variance.

I have used the other powders, 231, WST and compared to Clays they are dirty. I use almost exclusive lead cast loads.

My .45 I use 230gr LRN (Usually Lasercast) and 4.0gr of Clays... soft and gentle and still makes power. I don't know about accuracy, but they will hit the Down 0 or A zone in competition out to 25yds, with no problem, usually better than I can shoot. :D

For my 9mm would like to use 147gr or maybe 125gr. I've started with some left over 115gr FMJ with 3.0gr of Clay's, we'll see how it shoots and then work up some others.

I really want to find 1 good powder for my pistols and then stockup. Clays for the .45 works well for me, so I'm hoping it will in 9mm as well.

#7 ·
You really found WST "dirty"? I've loaded many diff. powders & WST, especially at lower vel., is one of the cleanest burning, even w/ lead bullets. To each his own though. Just be careful using Clays & heavy bullets in the 9mm.

#8 ·
Ok, forget about clays for the 9mm :neutral:

Loaded up 100 rounds for 155gr with 3.0gr of clays... little soft had FTF because the slide wasn't fully cycling. They were soft shooting however :)

I also loaded up 100 147 gr with some left over 231 powder. Those shot like a champion. I may have to reconsider my single powder theory. I love Clays in my .45 but in the 9, 231 was a great load. I'll use up what's left of it, probably around 300 rounds or so to use it up.

So, back to the powder threads and see what's working. Thanks for the thoughts.

#9 ·

Loaded up 100 rounds for 155gr with 3.0gr of clays... little soft had FTF because the slide wasn't fully cycling. They were soft shooting however :)

I also loaded up 100 147 gr with some left over 231 powder. Those shot like a champion. I may have to reconsider my single powder theory. I love Clays in my .45 but in the 9, 231 was a great load. I'll use up what's left of it, probably around 300 rounds or so to use it up.

HP38/W231 is very good in the 45acp, works well in all the service calibers for light to std. vel. loads.

#10 ·
We just loaded up 200, 125gr, fmj 9mm loads with 3.4gr of Clays. They shot great in my wife's STI GP6. Felt softer than WWB 9mm ammo from Wally World. We ran the OAL to 1.090, with a Lee factory crimp die at the end. No failures of any kind and shot just as accurate as the factory stuff.

#12 ·
Recently I loaded 100 rounds in 20 round groups. They ranged from 3.1 to 3.7 gr. The 3.5 and 3.7 grouped in the center of the black at 50ft with a six o'clock hold. The 3.5 loads just make 125 PF in my service model and the 3.7 loads are close to 130 PF. The 3.7 loads have the edge in accuracy with the tightest group of the series. All groups were shot from a pistol rest from a bench.

Some folks are concerned about fast powders getting people in trouble. This can happen with an accidental double charge of powder. In this case 3.5 or 3.7 grains of Clays take up 2/3 of the case. A double charge spills powder over the top of the case and is an attention getter.

When I tried a slower powder e.g. HS-6, the top charge of 6.8 which was the most accurate by the way, did not fill 1/2 the case. A double charge could go unnoticed and cause a catistrophic failure.

I'm happy with Clays using 124-125gr fmj and lead bullets. If I want to use 147gr bullets I will need to change powders.

I use Clays for 12ga, 38spl, 9mm, .44spl, and .45acp. I buy it in 4lb and 8lb canisters. It is very economical and makes mistakes at the loading bench less likely. Now I am looking for one rifle powder that will work in .223, 30-30, and .30-06. This may be more difficult to pull off. Candidates are: Varget, H335, Win 748. Any ideas?

#13 ·
I use Clays for 12ga, 38spl, 9mm, .44spl, and .45acp. I buy it in 4lb and 8lb canisters. It is very economical and makes mistakes at the loading bench less likely. Now I am looking for one rifle powder that will work in .223, 30-30, and .30-06. This may be more difficult to pull off. Candidates are: Varget, H335, Win 748. Any ideas?
I'm looking at the same thing with the exact same calibers.:eek: My Hornady book doesn't list the same powder for all three. I did look at my dad's old Sierra manual from '78 and it has loads for all three based on those three powders. I was waiting for my new boks to arrive before I made a trip to the store.....but they are stuck in the ice in Jonesboro Arkansas right now.:(:( I can get H335 and Varget locally ...748 is eluding me at present, so I spose I'll do what I can see.:mrgreen:

#14 ·
www.handloads.com I think you will enjoy that sight....word of caution though, the OAL listed is the minimum....it does not clearly state that. I always cross check the info with my Lee manual...

When you go to the site, look at the top left...that is the links for the loading charts. You can look at loads by weight, or powder brand / type.

#16 ·

A really good 9mm load for clays is with 147gr LFP 2.6gr clays with a aol of 1.045 very accurate, soft shooting and very clean. I dont crimp, I do however take the decapping rod out of the sizer die and run the loaded round threw that to just snug it up a bit and close the case mouth up from expanding sence you cant seat and crimp a lead bullet at the sametime. A word of advice on this load however, I would not go any higher with the powder charge. Lyman suggests 2.8 as highest but its a compressed load, if 2.5- 2.6 doesnt cycle your weapon, 231 and bullseye works well for both 9mm and 45auto.

#17 ·
You could also try Ramshot's True Blue, will work for both your calibers, and plenty of load data out there for it. It's clean, ranked #41 on the burn chart, meters fantastically and shoots pretty soft, at least to me. I'm a Titegroup fan but TB is going to be my only pistol powder once I burn through my 4lb jug of Titegroup.

#19 ·
Some folks are concerned about fast powders getting people in trouble. This can happen with an accidental double charge of powder. In this case 3.5 or 3.7 grains of Clays take up 2/3 of the case. A double charge spills powder over the top of the case and is an attention getter.
?
No the other issue w/ powders like Clays is the pressure spike. It is very unfriendly as you get to max. SO w/ Clays, there is no a little over max. Pressures can & do spike vert. You have to run Clays really hard to even get close to a factory equiv load & a bullet setback or deep seating can & will produce vert pressure spikes. It's why I do not adovcate it for anything but low vel minor loads. It does have good volume though, why I would choose it over TG for bunnyfart loads.

#20 ·
A really good 9mm load for clays is with 147gr LFP 2.6gr clays with a aol of 1.045 very accurate, soft shooting and very clean. I dont crimp, I do however take the decapping rod out of the sizer die and run the loaded round threw that to just snug it up a bit and close the case mouth up from expanding sence you cant seat and crimp a lead bullet at the sametime. A word of advice on this load however, I would not go any higher with the powder charge. Lyman suggests 2.8 as highest but its a compressed load, if 2.5- 2.6 doesnt cycle your weapon, 231 and bullseye works well for both 9mm and 45auto.
Yes you can seat & taper crimp a lead bullet in one die, it's just not as desireable. Running the loaded round into the sizing die is NOT likely helping your accuracy any as it's likey resizing the lead bullet (think LFCD). ALL semiauto rounds should get a mild taper crimp to make sure they chamber completely. Back to the basics, this isn't good reloading technique.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.