class 3 tax stamp

Discussion in 'NFA Talk' started by fktahoe, Jan 5, 2012.

1. fktahoe

fktahoe XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    my friend was saying he wanted to get a class 3 tax stamp here in South Carolina , I asked what it was and he said its a one time fee so he can get a silencer , what are the costs , and pros and cons of getting one ???:confused:

2. ThomasA

ThomasA XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    one time per item. 2 suppressors (they dont silence, they suppress) would equal 2 tax stamps. The fee is $200 per stamp. They take anywhere from 1-12 months to process. You pay the fee and the cost of the supressor up front, since the serial # on the suppressor is what you're registering. Then you wait for the approval before you take posession. Suppressors can cost anywhere from $300-2000 depending on caliber, construction, and brand. pros... well... it makes it quiet. also reduces recoil. it's nice shooting without hearing protection on guns it makes quiet enough. And it's just plain cool :) cons... they cost money. And it's a disease. If you get one, you'll get another.
    -Thomas

3. fktahoe

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    where would i go in south carolina to purchase my stamp ? ive tried google it for hours ? Thank u so much for ur help !!!

4. ThomasA

ThomasA XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    your google fu is weak my son.

Try googling for "Class III North Carolina" Or "NFA Weapons North Carolina"

I'm sure you can find a list of class iii dealers that would be able to sell you what you're wanting, and help you fill out and send in the paper work for a tax stamp or NFA trust (they are different)

5. ken158

ken158 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Find a class 3 dealer in your state, make the purchase and dealer will fill out paperwork, instruct what you need to get done - fingerprint cards, photos, and chief law enforcement officer signature where you live. Return all paperwork to dealer along with check for $200 and off to ATF / NFA it goes. Be prepared for a 6 month wait until paperwork returns to dealer with your tax stamp and he will call for you to pick up your new toy!

6. Mercmar

Mercmar XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Why would somebody in South Carolina spend Google time finding information about North Carolina? :cool:

7. fktahoe

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    haha yea lol well i called the nfa and they gave me lots of info but thank you guys so much ! this website is such big help

8. slugger6

slugger6 XDTalk 85K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 3

What? :confused:

9. John A.

John A. XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 1
    Silencers are actually NOT class 3 weapons even though a lot of people mistakenly call them that.

They're legally and technically classified as Title II weapons.

Class 3 only refers to a gun dealer that has a special tax licensing to deal in machineguns and silencers and such. And is probably where most people get confused on the terminology.

Nevertheless, Title II weapons are the legal classification of NFA weapons.

Title II weapons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So that is probably why google wasn't pulling up as much because you were using the wrong search criteria.

If you build a silencer, you will do it by submitting a form 1 in advance and wait for approval before building it. If he buys one, he will have to submit a form 4 instead.

When the paperwork is approved at the NFA branch in WV, they will affix a $200 tax stamp to one of the duplicate copies that they will return to him to keep in his records or to the dealer he is buying the silencer from that will give it to him when he picks up the silencer.

I hope this helps clear up some of the confusion.

PS Slugger, the phone number for the NFA Branch HQ in WV is 304-616-4500

10. fktahoe

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

so all in all u spend about a grand for a silencer ?

11. John A.

John A. XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 1
    It mostly depends on the make/model of the silencer you choose. There are many different silencer manufacturers and prices are all over the place.

Basically, you pick the silencer you want, add $200 for the Federal Tax Stamp, and probably sales tax or dealer transfer fee's if that's something they charge.

You can spend more than $1000 for many rifle caliber silencers, or you could spend less than $500 out the door for a 22 silencer.

Aluminum silencers usually don't cost as much as steel silencers. Titanium often costs more than either.

The price usually depends on which silencer you want and how much your'e paying for it.

12. MightyWarMonger

MightyWarMonger XDTalk Newbie

You will be sorry when I'm gone, dead, or armed
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just make sure you buy the best one you can afford because you don't want to spend that much time and money on one then find out you don't like it or it doesn't preform as well as others because you tried to save a couple hundred $. Trying to resell a used suppressor is difficult to say the least (small market & wait times) and you will not get your money out of it (loss of $200 stamp & actual devalue of used suppressor) as well as having to buy another/better one if you were so inclined to do so buy once cry once.

13. Mercmar

Mercmar XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    If you can find a police or sheriff's dept. that has a suppressor that they'll sell you, you do the transfer on a form 5 and there's no $200 transfer tax.

14. xdmfan4life

xdmfan4life XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    the idea seems cool, but to me its not worth having the batf all up in your biz. to me, its kind of like registering your weapons with the gov. They want to know who has it, so when martial law comes, they know where to go to confiscate them. (imo) But, to each his own.

15. chameleon

chameleon XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mine went down like this: When I finally decided to pull the trigger I went to the gun show when it came around (There's a local G-smith that specializes in Suppressors and rifles) I went to the table where the suppressors were and talked with the guy about it to confirm all the costs and such. I paid $535 for the chrome moly Yankee Hill Suppressor ( I couldn't afford the more expensive ones) for my AR. I then had to go get passport photos taken and brought them in and had fingerprints done (another $20 for two cards). Took it all in to him at his shop since this took a few days and brought in my $200 for the stamp. Had to do a little paperwork but wasn't too difficult or anything and he walked me through it. He filed the paperwork and let me know the wait is about up to 5-6 months currently as the atf has 18k apps to process and 10 people doing the processing. I have about another 3 months to wait so patience is a virtue here. Good luck to you and let us know what you end up doing.